An Old School Catholic Message Board

Monastic Spirituality For Lay People

GraceUk

Hope this is in the right section. I've just ordered the book A Cloister Walk by Kathleen Norris. And there was another couple of Books by Christopher Jamieson for lay people I was thinking about ordering. I wondered if anybody had read those or could recommend any others. Thanks.

Totally Franciscan

After watching The Monastery, I just had to read more by Christopher Jamison, Abbot of Worth at the time. I have read both Finding Sanctuary and Finding Happiness, both of which were remarkable reads. His writings are so very easy to understand and very simple, yet profound. I would recommend both of these very highly. There is another book that absolutely blew me away - The Journey to God by A. Wall, O.P. It is particularly valuable for the lay person. It reads almost like prayer. You will be so tempted to stop after each sentence and pray about what you have just been given. Please do read these; you will not be disappointed.

I highly recommend anything written by Catherine Doherty. Her Madonna House Lay Apostolate has a ministry to the idea of Molchanie, or experiencing the Silence of God. You can check out their book catalog here: [url="http://www.madonnahouse.org/publications/categories/index.html"]http://www.madonnahouse.org/publications/categories/index.html[/url]

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1332120641' post='2403517']
I highly recommend anything written by Catherine Doherty. Her Madonna House Lay Apostolate has a ministry to the idea of Molchanie, or experiencing the Silence of God. You can check out their book catalog here: [url="http://www.madonnahouse.org/publications/categories/index.html"]http://www.madonnaho...ries/index.html[/url]
[/quote]

Seconded. [i]Poustinia[/i] is really good. Also, Desert Fathers & Mothers?

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

If you like Fr. Christopher Jamieson, I would look up the show he did called "The Big Silence." You can find it on YouTube under it's title. It's split into 12 episodes of fifteen minutes each (total of 3 hours), but it follows five random people as they begin to experience silence. Not exactly what you're looking for, but a great watch nontheless :)

More to your point, perhaps try [i]Christ, the Life of the Soul[/i] by Bl. Columba Marmion. I have not read it in its entirety, but from what I know of Bl. Marmion and having read some of his other works, it should be what you're looking for. And just fyi, he was a Benedictine abbot who died in the 1940's or so.

Guest CGWells

I would like to recommend a book called "The Cloistered Heart." Finding and reading this book about 7 years ago literally opened up my heart to what God was beginning to say to me and began to move me in a direction that I continue to follow - monasticism of the heart. You can find the book on Amazon, and the author has a blog where she continues to share about living cloistered in the midst of the world and you can find it here: [url="http://www.thecloisteredheart.org"]www.thecloisteredheart.org[/url].

I also highly recommend this book:
[b] [size=3]The Hermitage Within. Spirituality of the Desert. Translated by Alan Neame - [/size][size=3][url="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?_encoding=UTF8&sort=relevancerank&search-alias=books&ie=UTF8&field-author=A%20MONK"][color="#004b91"]A MONK[/color][/url] (Author)[/size][/b]

I have been watching 'The Monastery' and 'The Big Silence' this Lent, and I am very impressed with Fr. Christopher and with the whole concept.

Probably talks to me especially strongly this Lent as my husband has had his hours changed, so I am in 'great silence' from the time I get up in the mornings (because he gets HOME and is trying to sleep starting at 5AM and I don't want to wake him)... then I have 'community time' with him until he leaves for work (about 3-5 hours between 1pm and 4pm depending on his scheduled hours)... and then he will be gone until 3-5AM the next day.

Yes, of course I do interact with others, but I am finding this to be a very interesting opportunity to do something with this as a gift.

Before and after finding the two Fr. Jamison videos, I found myself re-reading books on Benedictine and Carthusian spirituality, realizing I want to take advantage of this silent time... and not just mindlessly turn on TV or Internet (not even with you all!). But boy both of those are tempting.... I can so understand why they are finding it hard to 'keep' the silence when they return to their normal lifestyles.

My spirituality is grounded in that of two mendicant orders (i.e., my Secular Order community and my parish) and my training to take people through St. Ignatius' Spiritual Exercises, but I realized long ago that there is something in the Benedictine spirituality of work interspersed with prayer and with 'intervals' between the two that works very well for lay people....

I have read Catherine Norris' books - I did like The Cloister Walk and I like it a lot, and I think I even liked Amazing Grace more....

I've also found that thoughtful, prayerful books and movies about religious communities (not necessarily religious life, but those who choose to live their lives in a spiritual manner) and spiritualily focused laity (catholic and non-Catholic) have also nourished my soul and helped me to integrate what it means for me to be a Catholic lay woman in the modern world. Sometimes the QUESTIONS are as important as the answers... .I may not agree with someone's answers... but if it gets me thinking and talking to God about the questions....

Wonderful topic, this!.

filius_angelorum

Here are the books I highly suggest:
1. The Prayer of Love and Silence by A Carthusian (Includes his method of unitive prayer, sermons given in chapter, and a treatise on the Blessed Trinity.)
2. The Spirit of Solesmes

[quote name='filius_angelorum' timestamp='1333174354' post='2411048']
Here are the books I highly suggest:
1. The Prayer of Love and Silence by A Carthusian (Includes his method of unitive prayer, sermons given in chapter, and a treatise on the Blessed Trinity.)
2. The Spirit of Solesmes
[/quote]

I second The Spirit of Solesmes. amesome book, it was put together by Sr. Mary David from St. Cecilia's and she's amesome too.

I also liked The Silent Life (Thomas Merton).