An Old School Catholic Message Board

Best Books From Carmel

the171

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Therese-Lisieux-Testimonies-Process-Beatification/dp/0901810843/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332252157&sr=8-3"]St.Therese of Lisieux by Those Who Knew Her[/url] - the testimonies of those during her beatification process. Shows very concretely what she did to become a Saint; many stories found therein are not well-known. DEFINITELY worth the read. Apparently it's out of print currently, but I would recommend getting a used copy. It's a very good book to have.

Indwelling Trinity

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1332298714' post='2404561']
What's the best stuff from Teresa of the Andes and Bl. Elizabeth?
[/quote]

The Spiritual Doctrine of Elizabet of the Trinity by Phillipon O.P.
The Collected Works of Elizabeth of the Trinity, by The Carmelite Institute

The first one is easier to read for someone beginning

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

[u]Journey to Carith[/u] is a pretty good history of the Discalced Carmelites through early 1960's.

I'm also partial to [u]God Is Love[/u], an excellent biography of St. Teresa Margaret of the Sacred Heart. It also has some excellent descriptions of what life is like in the Discalced Carmelites.

Another that is a little dated but still very good is [u]Men in Sandals[/u].

It was written in the 1950's about the Carmelite friars. A lot of the specifics aren't still accurate (because much changed after Vatican II), but the spirit absolutely matches what I have and do see among the Discalced Carmelite friars.

It is also one of the funniest books I have ever read. Most Carmelites have outrageous senses of humor.... and this book nails it. There are a few chapters that I have won bets daring people to read them aloud without laughing.

Edited by AnneLine

Speaking of Carmelite humor, the my sisters at Lafayette Carm slipped a plastic roach in a friar's hood. They knew he was super scared of bugs. When he flipped his hood on.... Oh gosh! That man almost let out a few choice words! Haahaha just thought I'd share that.

Well, I'll check with Sr. MJ to see what I should read from the list I have now. :) haha I love Carmel! Gah! :)

So Sr. MJ let me borrow their copy of My Beloved. I found a small surprise when I opened up the book. http://theperkypilgrim.wordpress.com/2012/03/22/170/ I couldn't paste the picture on here.