An Old School Catholic Message Board

New Poor Clare Foundation

Clareni

An announcement from the Franciscan Brothers Minor, a primitive observance community in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. http://www.franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/Home_1.html

[b][i]Dear Friends,[/i][/b]

[b][i]Pax et Bonum![/i][/b]

[b][i] It is my joy to announce to you that on August 9th, 2012 the anniversary of St. Clare receiving the approval of her Rule, and in the 8th Centenary of her Conversion, Our Sisters, The Franciscan Sisters Minor, will be embracing the true and authentic feminine expression of our Franciscan Charism.[/i][/b]

[b][i]Through prayer, discernment and the approval of Bishop Kevin C. Rhoades, our Benevolent Ordinary, the Sisters will be whole heartedly embracing the Rule and Life of St. Clare of Assisi.[/i][/b]

[b][i] This means that they will be a Cloistered Contemplative Community embracing the radical living of St. Clare’s original Rule, something that, as far as we know, no other monastery is doing. Particular to our Sisters will be the Rule of poverty and the Marian Vow.[/i][/b]

[b][i] Since the summer we friars have been tirelessly renovating our friary and old St. Andrews Church to be the new home for the Sisters. Mother Celeste Marie and the Sisters will be moving into our friary at 2610 New Haven Ave, while we move out to St. Andrew’s old Convent located at the far back corner of the parking lot.[/i][/b]

[b][i] Not much will change at the Oratory. We’ll still have our usual Masses, First Saturday, youth group and so on. The only difference is now the Sisters, not us, will be praying on the other side of the wall.[/i][/b]

[b][i] We Friars have tremendous joy in turning over our home to the Sisters. The first thing St. Francis did, before ever starting the Order of Friars Minor, was to rebuild San Damiano with a prophetic joy. Joyfully he would hang off the scaffolding and sing out in French: “Come and help me rebuild this Church which will be the home of poor sisters who will glorify God with their lives”. We Friars now know the joy of St. Francis![/i][/b]

[b][i] The Sisters are soon to be the only Cloistered Community in the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend. By their life of prayer, penance and fraternity they hope to rain down grace upon the diocese.[/i][/b]

[b][i] Please Join us on: August 9th to celebrate with Bishop Kevin C. Rhoades for:[/i][/b]
[b][i]“The Solemn Mass of Enclosure”[/i][/b]

[b][i] At the Mass Mother Celeste Marie will be installed as Abbess. The day before, August 8th we will be having an open house and a formal farewell to our Sisters. [/i][/b]
[b][i]All are invited to attend! [/i][/b]

[b][i]Keep Checking in for updates and times of Events.[/i][/b]

[b][i]May God Bless you and May Mary keep you.[/i][/b]
[b][i]Fr. David Mary, F.F.M.[/i][/b]

[url="http://www.franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/Our_Sisters_Gallery/Pages/Sisters_Arrive_in_Fort_Wayne.html"]http://www.franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/Our_Sisters_Gallery/Pages/Sisters_Arrive_in_Fort_Wayne.html[/url]

pictures

[quote name='Clareni' timestamp='1332914616' post='2409557']
[b][i]the true and authentic feminine expression of our Franciscan Charism.[/i][/b]

[/quote]

That's interesting. Is that the view of this particular group, or of the RC Church at large? I'm guessing the former, since I haven't heard that all the Franciscan sisters out in the world are getting themselves cloistered, but I wonder why they came to that conclusion.

(Eh. I always end up sounding more controversial than I mean to be. I'm just interested. I've never heard that view before.)

Edited by marigold

Marigold,
I am actually in contact with this particular community of Sisters. I believe what Fr. David means is that "originally" (and they follow the original charism and rule) Franciscan Friars never owned or operated hospitals, they never owned or operated schools, etc. Franciscan nuns (Poor Clares, or Poor Sisters as they were known originally) were cloistered. There was no other option for a woman wishing to follow the Franciscan rule. All of the "social" apostolates of the Fransicans developed much later.

Kayte Postle

This is exciting!
and on a side note I love these Brothers, all of them came to visit us at university during National Vocations Week in Jan. Fr. David Mary is hilarious!!

[quote name='ACS67' timestamp='1332936176' post='2409603']
Marigold,
I am actually in contact with this particular community of Sisters. I believe what Fr. David means is that "originally" (and they follow the original charism and rule) Franciscan Friars never owned or operated hospitals, they never owned or operated schools, etc. Franciscan nuns (Poor Clares, or Poor Sisters as they were known originally) were cloistered. There was no other option for a woman wishing to follow the Franciscan rule. All of the "social" apostolates of the Fransicans developed much later.
[/quote]

Exactly... good example of the 'three' ways of being a mendicant:

First Order - Friars
Second Order - Cloistered Nuns
Third Order - 2 branches -- laity and apostolic sisters and brothers who live in community but are not cloistered

Interesting that St. Dominic founded the cloistered Nuns first.... and that the Carmelite Nuns ended up 'forming' out of Beguine groups (which are essentially lay women living in community) that had spiritual guidance from the Carmelites... kind of Third Order to Second Order switch. (Before the time of St. Teresa, btw...)

Lots of the apostolic communities (Domincian sisters of various flavors, for example) came out of Second Order Monasteries - that developed apostolates like teaching, nursing and social work... and especially in America, it just wasn't practical to have an in-cloister monastery, so they made the choice to regroup into what would become third order Sisters. But that is why so many Dominican Sister communities trace their origins to the Brooklyn Domincan community that originally came from Regensberg.

Even the Discalced Carmelite nuns at times have run schools (seriously!) -- the earliest ones in the U.S. ran a school, and they ran schools in Ireland and I think in England... but they were VERY glad when they were able to turn over that work to apostolic communities as soon as they could and reclaim their cloistered vocation... much like what seems to be happening with these Sisters.

I wish them peace and all good as they move into this next phase in their service of the Lord!

Edited by AnneLine

This was the most interesting part of the announcement from the Franciscan Brothers Minor:

"....[b][i] the Sisters will be whole heartedly embracing the Rule and Life of St. Clare of Assisi.[/i][/b]

[b][i] This means that they will be a Cloistered Contemplative Community embracing the radical living of St. Clare’s original Rule, something that, as far as we know, no other monastery is doing. Particular to our Sisters will be the Rule of poverty and the Marian Vow.[/i][/b]"

Is this unique? I have read from other Poor Clare sites that there were other communities living according to the rule of St Clare.
http://www.poorclare.org lists two federations (Bentivoglio Federation and the Holy Name Federation) with a total of 20 communities that live according to, "The Rule of St. Clare, approved by Innocent IV, 1253.

I know a little about the history of this and the dramatic story of Clare's struggle to escape an imposed Benedictine rule so that she and her sisters could stay faithful to the the example of Francis. It was her indomitable will that masde this possible aided by the dfact that Innocent IV was devoted to her and respected her holiness. According to the some sources however, this was only ever really lived out at San Damiano because other foundations quickly requested, or were given, dispensations

If anyone here could help me I would be most appreciative. Are there any other Poor Clare communities as indicated on the web site strictly following the rule which includes the commitment to poverty?

Regardless, this is wonderful news and I give thanks to God.

Pax_et bonum

[quote name='Clareni' timestamp='1332968598' post='2409794']
This was the most interesting part of the announcement from the Franciscan Brothers Minor:

"....[b][i] the Sisters will be whole heartedly embracing the Rule and Life of St. Clare of Assisi.[/i][/b]

[b][i] This means that they will be a Cloistered Contemplative Community embracing the radical living of St. Clare’s original Rule, something that, as far as we know, no other monastery is doing. Particular to our Sisters will be the Rule of poverty and the Marian Vow.[/i][/b]"

Is this unique? I have read from other Poor Clare sites that there were other communities living according to the rule of St Clare.
[url="http://www.poorclare.org"]http://www.poorclare.org[/url] lists two federations (Bentivoglio Federation and the Holy Name Federation) with a total of 20 communities that live according to, "The Rule of St. Clare, approved by Innocent IV, 1253.

I know a little about the history of this and the dramatic story of Clare's struggle to escape an imposed Benedictine rule so that she and her sisters could stay faithful to the the example of Francis. It was her indomitable will that made this possible aided by the fact that Innocent IV was devoted to her and respected her holiness. According to the some sources however, this was only ever really lived out at San Damiano because other foundations quickly requested, or were given, dispensations

If anyone here could help me I would be most appreciative. Are there any other Poor Clare communities as indicated on the web site strictly following the rule which includes the commitment to poverty?

Regardless, this is wonderful news and I give thanks to God.
[/quote]

I looked at the list of communities, and I know some of them are OSC (Order of Saint Clare). OSCs follow the rule from Pope Urban IV which allows for communal ownership of property. Many communities adopted this rule though St. Clare at San Damiano never did. The fact that most of those communities seem to have modified or taken off the habit gives the impression to me that they've probably done away with other "antiquated" aspects. The Rule says, "We declare that no Sister, whatever be her rank or office, may have woolen socks. Those who are able to do so go completely barefoot indoors..." So I doubt that they're following the same Rule that the Franciscan Sisters Minor will soon be adapting. I think it's pretty safe to say no other community lives like them; they live a very radical poverty. Does that help at all?

I'm so excited for them! I need to write them or something so I can go visit. Sr. Marie Veronica recently sent me a sweet little note; pray that I can find the words to write them back!

Chiara Francesco

Poor Clare Colettine (PCCs) communities are always barefoot indoors (barring rare circumstances a sister might have), most have the straw mattresses on a board supported by 2-3 wooden trestles, they rise at midnight or 12:30 am for Matins and some adoration, have perpetual fast and abstinence with meals, have the four vows of Poverty, Chasity, Obedience and Enclosure, are dedicated to Our Lady, etc.

They are called Colettines after St. Colette of Corbie who reformed existing Poor Clare communities and founded new ones to go back to strictly follow the Rule of St. Clare and her life. She is like a St. Teresa of Avila as she reformed the Poor Clares when most where falling into lax ways and or starting to do so.

Of course, some communities are stricter than others and do the discipline, Chapter of Faults or Begging Pardon, etc, among other austerities.

Pax_et bonum

Just found out they're getting a new postulant sometime over the summer! She's a widow and a later vocation; that's all I know. I'm sure she'd appreciate any prayers sent her way.

Oh Pax_et bonum that is great about a new postulant for them! I am waiting to hear back from Sr. Marie Veronica. They may not be able to write much, if at all, during Lent, as I know certain Poor Clare nuns are not allowed to write during Lent or Advent. I will just have to be patient.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard from Sr. Marie Veronica. It was a very nice letter. I have asked to visit them in June for a week (My classes will be over then). PM's Vocation Station seems to be a powerful group of souls discerning the religious life therefore I would ask for your prayers with my discernment with this community and most especially that my "birth defects" (I have a deformity in my back that causes problems for me from time to time) will stay under control and not become an issue in order to live this life if that is indeed God's will for me. These particular Francicans live quite an austere life I understand.

Pax_et bonum

[quote name='ACS67' timestamp='1333802857' post='2413927']
I heard from Sr. Marie Veronica. It was a very nice letter. I have asked to visit them in June for a week (My classes will be over then). PM's Vocation Station seems to be a powerful group of souls discerning the religious life therefore I would ask for your prayers with my discernment with this community and most especially that my "birth defects" (I have a deformity in my back that causes problems for me from time to time) will stay under control and not become an issue in order to live this life if that is indeed God's will for me. These particular Francicans live quite an austere life I understand.
[/quote]
Yay! I'm glad you heard back :) If God is calling you there, nothing could keep you away. I'll ask St. Clare to pray for you.
I wrote back at the beginning of the week and am waiting to hear from Sr. MV