An Old School Catholic Message Board

Daughters Of Charity

Joan Marie Wandel

FutureCarmeliteClaire

The sister I met from this order was very nice. I know this order is pretty liberal and is not getting many vocations at the moment. They're not for me, but maybe for someone else.

MargaretTeresa

THEY ARE SO amesome! I stayed with them on night #2 of my nun run and met TONS of them. (Of course, I was in New Orleans.) They're a very versatile group. You have teaching sisters, nursing sisters, medical facility administration sisters, tutoring sisters, sisters who work the homeless.... And that's just the New Orleans DCs I met! :D

LaPetiteSoeur

They aren't terribly liberal; they just don't wear a traditional habit. That's not a bad thing. They were founded by Saint Vincent dePaul, and St. Catherine Laboure was one of their more noted members. They do EVERYTHING. Teaching, nursing, work in parishes, social work, homeless shelters, soup kitchens, etc.

They tend to get around 5-10 new postulants in ALL [b]AMERICAN [/b]communities every year. Sometimes less, sometimes more. This is around the same amount most orders get a year.

The DCs are a Society of Apostolic Life, and were never required to wear a habit in the first place. I am thrilled to hear that they are getting vocations.

Here is one thing I'm working on at the present time: http://cloisters.tripod.com/camm/

A person can belong to as many lay associations as they wish (I say "within reason"). Lay associations are permitted to wear distinctive garb as much as they wish, and to share living quarters if they so desire.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1333144793' post='2410809']
They aren't terribly liberal; they just don't wear a traditional habit. That's not a bad thing. They were founded by Saint Vincent dePaul, and St. Catherine Laboure was one of their more noted members. They do EVERYTHING. Teaching, nursing, work in parishes, social work, homeless shelters, soup kitchens, etc.

They tend to get around 5-10 new postulants in ALL [b]AMERICAN [/b]communities every year. Sometimes less, sometimes more. This is around the same amount most orders get a year.
[/quote]

Vincent De Paul was heavily involved in their foundation, but their foundress was St. Louise de Marillac. De Paul & De Marillac go together like Teresa of Avila & John of the Cross, like Jane de Chantal & Francis de Sales, like Francis & Clare, like Benedict & Scholastica.

I'm also glad to know they're getting a steady stream of vocations.

Luigi, I just wanted to thank you for being around VS! You're fantastic and always bring great insight/encouragement for us discerners.

End hijack.

MargaretTeresa

Oh, and they're reallllly good cooks. :) I had fun cooking with them. (And the FSPs I stayed with. Homemade spaghetti sauce for the spaghetti made by a sister originally from Italia. NOM)

The Daughters have always been an interesting order because all of the sisters take annual vows. My cousin was in the order for twenty or twenty-five years. She said they all renew their vows on the same day at the same Mass; she said you always knew that every sister [i]wanted[/i] to be there - all they had to do to leave was not show up the "vows" Mass.

And my aunt used to work part-time in the archives. She said the Daughters were the first successfully active order - she said the Visitations had wanted to be active, but the bishop (wherever they got started - Geneva?) put the kabosh on that and made them contemplative - and that Louise De Marillac learned from that.

Anyway, I think they Daughters do a lot of good work.

It was the people who put the onus on the active Visitandines.

DeSales was the bishop of Savoy, which was not part of France at the time.

The Savoyard bishop put the habit back on the street after the Reformation.

He and DePaul were buddies.

The DCs formation is based on the Intro to the Devout Life.

The Congregation of the Mission provided chaplains to the Visitation.

DePaul himself was chaplain at the Visitation motherhouse.

Sorry for posting like this, but the android post box doesn't cooperate.

Blessings,
Gemma