An Old School Catholic Message Board

Summer Volunteer Program

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good summer volunteer program to work with religious or in a Catholic community? I was aware of the Little Sisters of the Poor's program, but you have to have health insurance which I do not have at this time. I have found a few others with the help of Catholic Volunteer Network (CVN), but word-of-mouth is also helpful. I do have a few requirements, though:
[list]
[*]Must be in the United States
[*]Must provide a stipend (I have to pay car insurance)
[*]Must provide room and board
[*]Cannot be for something like teaching or daycare
[/list]
I would prefer something in health care since I plan to major in Health Care Administration. I am also discerning with an order that has a health care apostolate. I also wouldn't mind social services, clerical, distributing food at a homeless shelter, etc.

Thanks in advance! :blowkiss:

Lilllabettt

ok ... so this is SLIGHTLY off topic. But I thought of a super amesome program and maybe right up your alley as a career opportunity is L'Arche.

I know there is a stipend, but doubt that applies to short term volunteer work. Typically people join for a year and live and work in one of the L'Arche homes with other volunteers serving the disabled people who also live there. Although if both parties are agreeable it can be an indefinite relationship. I know single people have consecrated their entire lives to this work ... but in general, 1 year is how it starts. It is a family style environment. No medical certification is required but you do serve as an aide to the people.

Edited by Lil Red

Sister Marie

MM - Is your goal to find a job in a religious environment or to find a volunteer program? I was just wondering because I saw that you were hoping for room and board and a stipend so I wasn't sure.

You might want to just call around the religious communities near you and see if they have any openings. If they have a spirituality center or retreat house where people stay for retreats you might be able to help them with the upkeep of the facility ie serving food, making beds, cleaning. If they are apostolic, they might need someone to answer the doors and phone, or do paperwork for the sisters. See if any of them have nursing facilities, especially just for their sisters. Before I entered the convent I lived and worked on all my college breaks in my community's nursing home for our sisters as a nurse's aid. I lived on the first floor of the nursing home and worked as many shifts as I could get. It was lovely... I was right down the hall from Chapel and could go anytime I wanted.

I'm not sure if this helped or not but I hope you do find what you are looking for!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1334014659' post='2415171']
ok ... so this is SLIGHTLY off topic. But I thought of a super amesome program and maybe right up your alley as a career opportunity is L'Arche.

I know there is a stipend, but doubt that applies to short term volunteer work. Typically people join for a year and live and work in one of the L'Arche homes with other volunteers serving the disabled people who also live there. Although if both parties are agreeable it can be an indefinite relationship. I know single people have consecrated their entire lives to this work ... but in general, 1 year is how it starts. It is a family style environment. No medical certification is required but you do serve as an aide to the people.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, I contacted them recently and they do not have any openings available. The woman said she'd keep my application on file but she didn't know when she would have an opening. They have such dedicated volunteers that stay for a LONG time.

Is that one you listed the only house? I was just wondering if there were others.

Edited by Lil Red

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1334017983' post='2415197']
MM - Is your goal to find a job in a religious environment or to find a volunteer program? I was just wondering because I saw that you were hoping for room and board and a stipend so I wasn't sure.

You might want to just call around the religious communities near you and see if they have any openings. If they have a spirituality center or retreat house where people stay for retreats you might be able to help them with the upkeep of the facility ie serving food, making beds, cleaning. If they are apostolic, they might need someone to answer the doors and phone, or do paperwork for the sisters. See if any of them have nursing facilities, especially just for their sisters. Before I entered the convent I lived and worked on all my college breaks in my community's nursing home for our sisters as a nurse's aid. I lived on the first floor of the nursing home and worked as many shifts as I could get. It was lovely... I was right down the hall from Chapel and could go anytime I wanted.

I'm not sure if this helped or not but I hope you do find what you are looking for!
[/quote]

Well, I'm not necessarily looking to live in a religious community with Sisters or anything. It's just that the LSPs came to mind because I remember seeing that they had a summer intern program. I've considered doing a year-long thing, but I think that trying it out for the summer is a better idea. I'm still hoping to get into my university of choice, so I may start school in the fall again.

she_who_is_not

[quote name='Lilllabettt' timestamp='1334014659' post='2415171']

[/quote]

L'Arche is amesome. I've never been a part of the L'Arche ministry, but have interacted with those who have in my work as an advocate for the disabled. I was a direct care counselor for persons living with autism while in college and it changed my life. Every role I have held since that time, from special ed teacher to activist, is informed and inspired by those two years as a college student. I would do it in a heartbeat!

Just saw the previous post...we must have been posting at the same time. Here is a list of L'Arche communities in the US.

[url="http://www.larcheusa.org/who-we-are/communities/"]http://www.larcheusa...re/communities/[/url]

Edited by Lil Red

Sister Marie

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1334023178' post='2415220']
Well, I'm not necessarily looking to live in a religious community with Sisters or anything. It's just that the LSPs came to mind because I remember seeing that they had a summer intern program. I've considered doing a year-long thing, but I think that trying it out for the summer is a better idea. I'm still hoping to get into my university of choice, so I may start school in the fall again.
[/quote]

I didn't mean living in community either... before I entered I just lived in a room... like a renter... no on else was on the first floor with me when I was in college. It's just an idea. I would still check and see if any of your local religious communities need anyone for clerical work or other work... you never know. I'll be praying you find something though. I think it's a good idea to be looking for this kind of thing during the summer.

Prayers,
SM

OnlySunshine

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1334023237' post='2415221']
L'Arche is amesome. I've never been a part of the L'Arche ministry, but have interacted with those who have in my work as an advocate for the disabled. I was a direct care counselor for persons living with autism while in college and it changed my life. Every role I have held since that time, from special ed teacher to activist, is informed and inspired by those two years as a college student. I would do it in a heartbeat!

Just saw the previous post...we must have been posting at the same time. Here is a list of L'Arche communities in the US.

[url="http://www.larcheusa.org/who-we-are/communities/"]http://www.larcheusa...re/communities/[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for listing the link. I decided to apply again because I saw on the main website that they have summer internships. I really feel it's the best idea for me to work short-term to see if it's a good fit before committing long-term. :)

• 2 weeks later...
littlesister

I'm sorry that our "Spring into Service" program won't work for you - at least not at the moment. It is still fairly new but is growing every season. You might look at Glenmary or the Christian Appalachian Project. They both welcome volunteers, and especially with Glenmary living with a community could be a possibility. Best wishes!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='littlesister' timestamp='1334804098' post='2420470']
I'm sorry that our "Spring into Service" program won't work for you - at least not at the moment. It is still fairly new but is growing every season. You might look at Glenmary or the Christian Appalachian Project. They both welcome volunteers, and especially with Glenmary living with a community could be a possibility. Best wishes!
[/quote]

Thank you, Sister, for your recommendations. I really wished I had health insurance so I could participate in the "Spring into Service" program. I will look into what you mentioned. :like:

salveregina10

Good morning Mater, I am happy say that our community has a resident volunteer program, it may not meet all of your requirements but is a fantastic opportunity:
[url="http://norfolk-osb.org/index.php/community/ministries/"]http://norfolk-osb.org/index.php/community/ministries/[/url]
Blessings on your search!