An Old School Catholic Message Board

Retreat Coming Up

the171

So not this weekend but the next I will be staying for three days at Carmel. This will be my second retreat and also it will soon be a year since I began discerning with Lafayette. Sister has mentioned a month long (or a week or so...) live-in in the summer. I really want to become acquainted with the life. Would it be wise to ask sister to request the permission of Mother Regina to enter the cloister as an aspirant for my three day retreat? If she (Mother Regina) doesn't permit me yet, it's alright because she is the voice of God (something like that) for my community. But should I ask? I'm just very nervous... Not so much nervous as afraid of rejection. :P haha I really want to live the life. Even if only for a few days. :love:

LaPetiteSoeur

Prayers! I suggest not asking yet--finish high school (you are going to be going to a great one! :) ), continue discernment, etc. When you are a senior and making the retreat, then ask!

:nunpray:

Kayte Postle

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1334029839' post='2415269']
Prayers! I suggest not asking yet--finish high school (you are going to be going to a great one! :) ), continue discernment, etc. When you are a senior and making the retreat, then ask!

:nunpray:
[/quote]

Ditto, but prayers that you have an amesome retreat!

Still waiting for full confirmation from Mother Superior to know if I am even going on retreat at all. Haha! Sister said after April 11 I could stay, and she liked the weekend and told me I'd most likely be coming, but Mother Regina hasn't approved yet or Sister hasn't told me. Fingers crossed!!

So now that I explained what I meant, does anyone have advice? Should I ask her if I can do a live-in?

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1334119396' post='2415650']
So now that I explained what I meant, does anyone have advice? Should I ask her if I can do a live-in?
[/quote]

I say why not.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

LOL, I thought you meant entrance... I was like, "Uh... don't you have a bit of school left?" YES, I think you should ask if you can make your live in.

Why do you want to do your live-in now, when you have only three days? There is a big difference between three days in the cloister and the month that the sisters are offering you in the summer. A month will give you an opportunity to experience the rhythm of the life in a way that you just won't be able to do in three days. It sounds to me as though you are trying to rush things a bit too much.

edit: meh, I was uneasy about my inspired advice so I removed it.

Never mind. It's your choice :knight:

Edited by marigold