An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Get Someone For First Vows?

MissScripture

MissScripture

My sister will be taking first vows in July. Any suggestions on what we should get her for First Vows? She is a Nashville Dominican.

YAY DOMINICANS! :hehe:

Autumn Dusk

Maybe a gift card to a bookstore so she can buy religious books. Candles for her room or perhaps send some omaha steaks?

:dance5:
I joined PM shortly after she entered; it's unbelievable to think she's preparing for vows already!

Hm...
Definitely something the whole community can enjoy. I know it seems lame, but maybe one of those fruit bouquets?

dominicansoul

stationary...stamps...spiritual gifts----they can never get enough of that stuff...

...everything else is not necessary. A Dominican only needs one statue of Mary and a Crucifix, and you take those when you enter. Nothing else is needed. She has every book she needs in the Motherhouse library. Our cells are really quite empty... and its nice that way... :)

PhuturePriest

Well, since she is a vile Dominican and can have stuff unlike the holy Franciscans, maybe get her a book or something meaning like a picture with a card? They do make cards for vows. You can find them at Catholic Bookstores.

Oh, and don't forget wine. If nobody brings me wine at my vows I'm going to throw down. What good is saying vows if you're not rewarded with wine?

PhuturePriest

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1334340532' post='2417120']
stationary...stamps...spiritual gifts----they can never get enough of that stuff...

...everything else is not necessary. A Dominican only needs one statue of Mary and a Crucifix, and you take those when you enter. Nothing else is needed. She has every book she needs in the Motherhouse library. Our cells are really quite empty... and its nice that way... :)
[/quote]

[i]Our [/i]cells? Are you a Dominican, or are you just about to be one? Everyone is throwing curve balls at me today and I'm not sure what to believe anymore. :P

Autumn Dusk

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1334340471' post='2417116']
:dance5:
I joined PM shortly after she entered; it's unbelievable to think she's preparing for vows already!

Hm...
Definitely something the whole community can enjoy. I know it seems lame, but maybe one of those fruit bouquets?
[/quote]

I know franciscans enjoy food, but I don't know about domincans, since they don't beg for food. It'd certinally be a treat she isn't likely to have for a long time. And the other nuns would enjoy it. Kinda like giving cigarrets to a prisioner.

Edited by Autumn Dusk

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' timestamp='1334342371' post='2417173']
I know franciscans enjoy food, but I don't know about domincans, since they don't beg for food. It'd certinally be a treat she isn't likely to have for a long time. And the other nuns would enjoy it. Kinda like giving cigarrets to a prisioner.
[/quote]

Get Red Lobster to cater. I'm sure the Nuns would kill (Quite an odd thought, isn't it?) for some lobster tail. I know I would...

she_who_is_not

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334344087' post='2417193']
Get Red Lobster to cater. I'm sure the Nuns would kill (Quite an odd thought, isn't it?) for some lobster tail. I know I would...
[/quote]

That could get expensive. How many sisters now, MS? 250?

PhuturePriest

[quote name='she_who_is_not' timestamp='1334344692' post='2417205']
That could get expensive. How many sisters now, MS? 250?
[/quote]

It's the least we can do. They probably haven't eaten real food in years, so we might as well assure them that real food does still exist.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334344799' post='2417207']
They probably haven't eaten real food in years, so we might as well assure them that real food does still exist.
[/quote]
:twitch:

Autumn Dusk

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334344087' post='2417193']
[/quote]

Move to New England. Lobster at the grocer (cooked) is 3.99 a pound right now.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1334345133' post='2417220']
:twitch:
[/quote]

Well, at least Franciscans don't eat what I would deem as real food. They eat whatever food they're given, and if they don't have much they fast, since usually they live off of divine providence. However, Dominicans may charge for their preaching, and the Nuns most likely have an orchard or something like it, so they may not be as economically unstable as Franciscans.