An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmel And Panic Attacks

the171

Does Carmel accept candidates that have panic disorders? If not, are there contemplative communities that do? Active communities?

Haven't told Sr. Mary John yet. Waiting till after the appointment.. I'm really scared.

Dont panic! :) Honestly from what Ive found about Carmelites is that within a short time they probably know you better than you know yourself, or at least have a good read on you. This isnt a bad thing I simply mean they have experience and a dash of the Holy Spirit. Be open and honest with them!! Ive bared my soul to them and they were the most wonderful and understanding people.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1334635139' post='2419147']
Does Carmel accept candidates that have panic disorders? If not, are there contemplative communities that do? Active communities?

Haven't told Sr. Mary John yet. Waiting till after the appointment.. I'm really scared.
[/quote]

Everyone has panic attacks. However, sometimes we can have unnecessary ones for psychological reasons. I myself have this at times, though it isn't bad and it almost never shows so I don't even mention it to Communities. If yours is bad enough that it shows frequently, do not let the panic attacks get to you. If God wants you to enter Mount Carmel you will do so. Take Saint Therese of Lisiuex, for instance. She wanted to enter at fourteen because she knew that is when God wanted her to enter. She fought all the way through and went even to the Pope, and the Nuns relented and she happily entered at age fifteen. This would never have happened if God didn't will her to enter at that time, so do not worry. God will make what he wants happen and at the time he wants it to happen, despite age or medical reason. I would recommend praying to Saint Therese of Lisiuex for help, and trust in God that no matter what he has everything covered.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1334635139' post='2419147']

[/quote]

To be honest with you, what you wrote in the prayer room doesn't sound like a panic attack. I've had several because I have anxiety disorder that is treated with medication. It sounds like you had an asthma attack and blacked out. Wait and see what your doctor says before worrying about what the Carmelite community will say to you.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1334635728' post='2419151']
Everyone has panic attacks. However, sometimes we can have unnecessary ones for psychological reasons. I myself have this at times, though it isn't bad and it almost never shows so I don't even mention it to Communities.
[/quote]

Carmels are so small though that nothing can go hidden for long. I would encourage anyone to mention everything at some point in their discernment with any Community because it will come out sooner or later anyway.

[quote]

and trust in God that no matter what he has everything covered.
[/quote]

amen

Can't be sure from here, but it doesn't sound like a panic attack to me.... sounds like you didn't have enough oxygen.. which happens with asthma.

I don't think you want to keep things from the nuns... but you don't have to admit to something you don't have, either. Check with the doctor, see if your meds need to get balanced, perhaps, and then take it from there.

Panic attacks are a different thing... can explain more if you want, but any counselor would tell you, the first question is always, is there a physical reason why this might be happening? If so, check that first....

MissScripture

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1334635920' post='2419152']
To be honest with you, what you wrote in the prayer room doesn't sound like a panic attack. I've had several because I have anxiety disorder that is treated with medication. It sounds like you had an asthma attack and blacked out. Wait and see what your doctor says before worrying about what the Carmelite community will say to you.
[/quote]
This.
There may have been panic involved, but that is a normal reaction to not being able to breathe. Don't start worrying until you have a full picture. Whatever the cause may have been may be totally treatable. :)

Yeah. I am just nervous right now. Here are so many possibilities of what it could be that I am jumping to conclusions. I would never hide it from Sr.MJ once I find out, but I will have to wait after to tell her. I have a day visit at Carmel this weekend. If I get an appointment Wesnesday, I will tell Sister then. I just hope it's not anything serious. This has happened before, just not this bad.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1334639646' post='2419171']
Yeah. I am just nervous right now. Here are so many possibilities of what it could be that I am jumping to conclusions. I would never hide it from Sr.MJ once I find out, but I will have to wait after to tell her. I have a day visit at Carmel this weekend. If I get an appointment Wesnesday, I will tell Sister then. I just hope it's not anything serious. This has happened before, just not this bad.
[/quote]

That's normal to be nervous about something you aren't familiar with. I have asthma, too, and I have ever since I was a baby. It's gotten MUCH better over the years, but, when I was a baby, there were times were my mom would have to rush me to the emergency room because I couldn't breathe. Allergies are the worst offender and pollen/dust can still cause problems, but I have the worst time when I have a bad cold.

Believe me when I say that asthma and allergies can be treated. I wouldn't assume the worst until I had all the facts. I will pray for you! :blowkiss:

PhuturePriest

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1334636121' post='2419154']
Carmels are so small though that nothing can go hidden for long. I would encourage anyone to mention everything at some point in their discernment with any Community because it will come out sooner or later anyway.

amen
[/quote]

I will mention it, but it's so minor and I'm not even sure if I have it, I simply assume I do because of past experiences I have had. However, in recent years I've been doing well and haven't been having any of the previous problems. It's as if I grew out of them, really. If they come back they are treated with a very cheap and effective pill my sister uses, so there's no problem with it, really.

There's a lot of stuff I am going to have to spill to Sister this Sunday. This is going to be a difficult visit. I have been waiting for the difficulties to arise. It was just getting too easy...

PhuturePriest

If a personal experience of my own can help in this, once I thought because of past sexual sins they would not allow me into Seminary or enter a Community. I was so certain they would never allow me in. So, I panicked, freaked out, got really stressed, prayed a lot, cried a lot, and annoyed people about it on here for three days. Then, I realized just how ridiculous it all was and I realized these sins would most certainly not impede me from entering Seminary or entering a Community. Just relax. Panicking will not help you, it will only harm you. Pray and trust in God. He has everything covered, like the greatest health care company ever invented. There's no injury or illness that will stop his will from being done.

Strictlyinkblot

As already said wait to see what your doctor says. There are quite a few disorders that can present like panic attacks. Also, its perfectly natural to panic when you have an asthma attack. Adrenaline starts pumping and your heart starts racing and all you can feel is that you can't breathe. If you want to tell the Sisters, tell them but also say that you're waiting to see what your doctor says.

I have in the past had panic attacks and I have asthma. Two years ago I started having bad asthma attacks for the first time. The problem is that I started anticipating an attack as soon as I got breathless and to a certain extent bring one on. Panic attacks make you breathe faster, asthma attacks can be caused by breathing too fast so the two can go together.

Could I suggest that you keep a diary of when you have your 'panic' (or whatever it is) attack. See if there's a pattern, is there something in particular that triggers it. I'm sure you've been told this before but deep breathing exercises, breathing into a brown paper bag (stops you overbreathing) and relaxation exercises can all help.

The one thing that worked for me two years ago, along with my prescribed treatments was hypnotherapy. Now, I'm not talking about stage hypnosis here. I know its controversial but proper medical hypnotherapy can make a huge difference. I used relaxation downloads aimed specifically at those who suffer from asthma from a reputable site. By listening to the session regularly I found it worked in two ways, one was that it stopped me anticipating an attack but also I found I was much calmer during an attack. Its not a replacement for inhaler and it doesn't claim to be but it reduces my need for my inhalers and I feel generally more relaxed. If you're interested pm me and I'll send you the website link.

I have a terror of heights. A friend invited me to go to the beach after mass. I said, great and off we went, me in my new MBT shoes (that disrupt your balance so you work harder when you walk) that I was wearing for the first time. I didn't realise that her idea of a visit to the beach was a cliff top walk and I was too proud to say anything. I climbed up the path, which had lots of steps with them, not realising that we would have to go down the same way. I took a break halfway up and sat on a bench while they went on. Needless to say I was beginning to feel very nervous. So, I did my breathing exercises and said a prayer to the Angels. A year or two ago I'd never have got back down but I did it, a little shaky admittedly especially as my balance was off thanks to my shoes. The view was spectacular though. The hypnotherapy sessions made a huge difference to me and my life.

Its only a suggestion. There are lots of other therapies that can help with anxiety disorders. Cognitive-behaviour therapy is very short-term yet can have dramatic results.

maximillion

Even if it was/is panic, these are simple to overcome with some basic CBT techniques you can find on line or in any book on CBT - like CBT for Dummies.

absolutely. What Strictly Inkblot says is absolutely on target.

Also sometimes it really is triggered by something you least expect.

I started having HORRIBLE alergy attacks with inability to breathe one week... no cause even remotely discernable.

Seemed to start and stop with no pattern we could see... Doctor was baffled, I was terriefied (it IS terrifying to feel unable to breathe) and a bunch of tests were scheduled after this continued for a few days. They figured I probably had been introduced to some odd pollen at a hike I had been on the day it started. The day before I was to take it, I woke up, and I just didn't feel like a cup of coffee. I ALWAYS have coffee in the morning... but just didnt' want any that day. No allergy attack. I took the coffee beans in to be tested instead of me (I wasn't having the attacks any more)... and they had some kind of odd insecticide on them. Then we realized I had picked up that batch on the way home from the hike. Brother.

No further problems once I tossed out that batch of coffee.. Problem solved!

Hopefully this will be the sort of result you will have as well.

There are ALWAYS a few 'tough' visits during the application process... Put yourself into the hands of our Lord and His mother, and trust in his providential care... He won't let you down, although sometimes it can feel a little that way....

Prayers....