An Old School Catholic Message Board

Still Discerning

InPersonaChriste

InPersonaChriste

My discernment seems to come in waves.

For months I would be discerning religious life and trying hard to live out my daily life. And then the next few months I will be thinking of marriage and how wonderful it would be to have children. Prayer has become very routine and I find my mind wandering accidently all the time.

I would just ask for prayers because I know I am still very young in my faith (and discerning), and I know that God has a plan for me. But I am deeply confused by what that might be at the moment.

In Christ
IPC

It is always painful when we try hard to enter religious life but we aren t able to do it. Since you are young I encourage you not to give up immediately, anyway, if you realize that all your efforts are useless, you must accept this fact in peace, and you won t have regrets for the fact that you haven t tried!
Prayers for you.

InPersonaChriste

Thank you for your encouragement!

I have been discerning for what i think is a long time, God is very quiet and gentle in his working with me. Sometimes i wish he would be more clear, but I know he just wants me to trust him.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

praying for you...It is not uncommon to find attraction to married life as well as religious by what I understand. The qualities that would make you a good sister are the same ones that make a good wife and mother. I read of an exercise that may be beneficial for you...make a holy hour and have a "Holy Fantasy" imagine your life as a religious...the things you would do, the care you would give, whatever you see as your life there, maybe your struggles in your spirituality and growth towards Christ. The next day do the same thing with a "Holy Fantasy" on married life, include whatever...you wedding, life, children growing old with someone...everything you could think of include and meditate on the life of a married person. when you are done you will likely see the beauty of both lives even more, and then ask yourself...which one can I live without?

This came from the book To Save a Thousand souls, and I know it helped me in discernment in finally deciding to pursue seminary.

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='PadrePioOfPietrelcino' timestamp='1335026501' post='2421666']
praying for you...It is not uncommon to find attraction to married life as well as religious by what I understand. The qualities that would make you a good sister are the same ones that make a good wife and mother. I read of an exercise that may be beneficial for you...make a holy hour and have a "Holy Fantasy" imagine your life as a religious...the things you would do, the care you would give, whatever you see as your life there, maybe your struggles in your spirituality and growth towards Christ. The next day do the same tg with a "Holy Fantasy" on married life, include whatever...you wedding, life, children growing old with someone...everything you could think of include and meditate on the life of a married person. when you are done you will likely see the beauty of both lives even more, and then ask yourself...which one can I live without?

This came from the book To Save a Thousand souls, and I know it helped me in discernment in finally deciding to pursue seminary.
[/quote]

That is [i]exactly [/i]what I am going through right now!

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='PadrePioOfPietrelcino' timestamp='1335643898' post='2424466']
just curious how's it going...

prayers
[/quote]

It's getting better. I am torn between a lot of things right now. I think that it would be nice to just take a break and go sit in a church for a couple of days. I am going to be going to a lot of catholic camps this summer it seems. I hope to meet up with some of my good friends who I have been missing.

I am a bit of a social hermit :)

Thank you so much for your prayers!

• 1 month later...
InPersonaChriste

Hey just an update,
In Mexico with my family. It is actually surprisingly hard to enjoy myself. I am just realising now how much time I have dedicated to destracting myself from Catholic things. I am ashamed to say it, but I know admitting it is a vital part of trying to get past my problems. Offering things to Jesus has been incredibly hard lately, I do not wish to harm him with my distrust. Yet I continually have been pushing him away. I don't have anything to destract me from Jesus here, the beach and the ocean constantly remind me of how amazing he is (creation is one of the most prominent reminders right now). Thank you for your continued prayers! I will be in mass on Sunday and I will say a prayer for all of you :)

In Christ
IPC

• 3 weeks later...
InPersonaChriste

You feel super blessed when you are the only woman out of 2,000 people to go to a private mass with sisters.
I feel very peaceful right now, thank you all for your continued prayers.