An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dealing With Stuff Before Entering The Convent...

SoonerCatholic

HopefulBride

[quote name='SoonerCatholic' timestamp='1335296824' post='2422812']
Thanks for all the replies. They are all good tips to keep in mind. I think my car and my computer will probably go to one of my siblings. The rest of my stuff is in storage at my parents house so I think they will be free to supply my siblings from that stash as they move out (Im the oldest). The monastery has already advised putting my money matters in the charge of my dad during my formation years. Really I think I am good though even if I had to leave the monastery after a year all my clothes would be out of style as I dislike shopping. Oh well I will save a few of the nicest pieces anyways. I do need to decide who among my family and friends would like my Nook. It will be good for a few years but five years from now it could be obsolete...

Funny story: when I told my siblings that I had decided on entering the monastery, they all started making bids on my stuff. "who gets your car?" "can I have your computer" " Do you have to make a will?" me: "gee, I feel loved. Guess the cat is the only one who is going to miss me."
[/quote]

haha, I understand how you feel about the bidding war for your stuff. I think maybe it might be with younger siblings. My siblings went from reluctant acceptance to.. "I get your phone right?" "well who gets these shoes?" "well I want the dog.." "I don't want this, it can go to so and so"
In a way, it's refreshing to see that because I don't feel as anxious about them taking it hard and having a hard time coping and dealing with the absence.

MissScripture

[quote name='SoonerCatholic' timestamp='1335296824' post='2422812']
Thanks for all the replies. They are all good tips to keep in mind. I think my car and my computer will probably go to one of my siblings. The rest of my stuff is in storage at my parents house so I think they will be free to supply my siblings from that stash as they move out (Im the oldest). The monastery has already advised putting my money matters in the charge of my dad during my formation years. Really I think I am good though even if I had to leave the monastery after a year all my clothes would be out of style as I dislike shopping. Oh well I will save a few of the nicest pieces anyways. I do need to decide who among my family and friends would like my Nook. It will be good for a few years but five years from now it could be obsolete...

Funny story: when I told my siblings that I had decided on entering the monastery, they all started making bids on my stuff. "who gets your car?" "can I have your computer" " Do you have to make a will?" me: "gee, I feel loved. Guess the cat is the only one who is going to miss me."
[/quote]
The day my sister told me of her plans to enter we had just been clothes shopping and we were waiting for my parents to meet us for lunch. At the last place we had stopped, she had bought a really cute skirt and it was the only one they had (we wear the same size). So, when she told me she wanted to join the Nashville Dominicans, the first thing I said was, "Can I have your clothes?" She looked something like this: :o In my defense, we had gotten up at like 4:30 that morning. But she's never going to let me live that one down! (And she did give me her clothes. We decided it made the most sense. I could make use of them and if she did discern out, she could have them back.)

HopefulBride

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1335306444' post='2422889']
The day my sister told me of her plans to enter we had just been clothes shopping and we were waiting for my parents to meet us for lunch. At the last place we had stopped, she had bought a really cute skirt and it was the only one they had (we wear the same size). So, when she told me she wanted to join the Nashville Dominicans, the first thing I said was, "Can I have your clothes?" She looked something like this: :o In my defense, we had gotten up at like 4:30 that morning. But she's never going to let me live that one down! (And she did give me her clothes. We decided it made the most sense. I could make use of them and if she did discern out, she could have them back.)
[/quote]

Technically what you were trying to say was..."can I have your clothes for safekeeping?" hahahaha

MissScripture

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1335306868' post='2422893']
Technically what you were trying to say was..."can I have your clothes for safekeeping?" hahahaha
[/quote]
EXACTLY. :like:

OK, funny but true story. I was accepted for the community several months before I entered. I had an apartment full of stuff, and NO siblings, and my parents couldn't take more than just a bit of it.

So.... I did a 'buy now, pick up later' sale at my apartment. I passed the word to my friends and relations that I was going into the convent, that I needed to both get rid of my stuff, keep my stuff till I entered, and also make enough $$$ for my dowry. So..... what we all came up with was a system of numbered stickers that went onto EVERYTHING in my house - people took a number, decided what they would offer to pay, I recorded it by numbers into a notebook, and I lived with numbered stickers on everything until I was about 3 weeks from entrance. Then people had to box & carry off their own stuff.

I let it go for ridiculously low amounts sometimes, because it saved me time and money.. but it still was a good fundraiser!.

One of my friends bid for my entire kitchen for $100... and got it. He got all the cookware, dishes, canned goods, spices, etc..... I got my cabinets cleared out and his sister got everything she needed to fix up her kitchen. he came in with an army of friends to pack it all up... and as he was leaving he glared at me (in jest) and said in a wondering tone, "I can't believe I fell for this. I thought I was making such a good deal... and I just paid you for the privilege of clearing out your kitchen for you. Man!" I loved it!

It also meant I had use of all the stuff until I actually was ready to leave the apartment, and all I had to do was the actual clean up. Made about $1000 that way... and that was a good amount of money in the 1980's....

Feel free to give this a try!

Edited by AnneLine

SoonerCatholic

[quote name='HopefulBride' timestamp='1335303158' post='2422854']
haha, I understand how you feel about the bidding war for your stuff. I think maybe it might be with younger siblings. My siblings went from reluctant acceptance to.. "I get your phone right?" "well who gets these shoes?" "well I want the dog.." "I don't want this, it can go to so and so"
In a way, it's refreshing to see that because I don't feel as anxious about them taking it hard and having a hard time coping and dealing with the absence.
[/quote]

I think my siblings were not surprised when I decided, but I am glad they are taking it well. My youngest brother did ask my Mom why she was more excited about the other brother getting a summer job, than me deciding on entering the convent. She said, "Well, you always knew she was going to do something like this."

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1335306444' post='2422889']
[/quote]

Too funny!