LaPetiteSoeur Posted May 1, 2012 Author Posted May 1, 2012 Just ordered one. Thanks everyone for all of the help!
CatherineM Posted May 1, 2012 Posted May 1, 2012 I have two. A white and gold number I wear most often, including my wedding, and a black and silver model I wear on buses in Mexico. You're less likely to get groped on a bus if they think you're a widow.
morakind Posted May 1, 2012 Posted May 1, 2012 My grandma sent me a whole suitcase full of old clothes when I was 16 and it included a handful of mantillas! I used some of them to put lace accents on some dresses I made, but I have two left over... I didn't know what they were until a few years ago. Happy I saved them!
LaPetiteSoeur Posted May 1, 2012 Author Posted May 1, 2012 I got a black one because it matches my hair (I"m a dark brunette), and it won't be terribly distracting to anyone else! It's also very pretty, and I hope it comes in soon! (it said 3-6 days, so either Friday or Monday it should be here!)
Papist Posted May 2, 2012 Posted May 2, 2012 If I can say....I think it is a beautiful thing when a woman wears a veil. The reverence seems to make her glow. [img]http://www.promultismedia.net/images/reverence.jpg[/img]Not that if you don't wear one that you are not reverent.
beatitude Posted May 2, 2012 Posted May 2, 2012 I have a beautiful Spanish lace mantilla, but I feel uncomfortable wearing it now. People seem to judge me negatively when I have it on. Ironically, they expect me to be this judgmental ultra-traditionalist who carts around a full set of the Divine Office in Latin solely for the purpose of crushing heretics to death with it, and this makes it near-impossible for them to get to know me properly. So for the past few months I've just been flipping up the hood on my sweatshirt when I'm in church.
Archaeology cat Posted May 2, 2012 Posted May 2, 2012 I got a compliment when I was wearing my headscarf. I usually tie it around a bun. It's brown, and I'm a brunette, so it works nicely. I've also taken to wearing a snood at times.
Papist Posted May 2, 2012 Posted May 2, 2012 [quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1335968107' post='2426054'] I got a compliment when I was wearing my headscarf. I usually tie it around a bun. It's brown, and I'm a brunette, so it works nicely. I've also taken to wearing a snood at times. [/quote] My wife uses a brown one too. It makes her "stick out" less, which I think she prefers.
Papist Posted May 2, 2012 Posted May 2, 2012 [quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1335966925' post='2426050'] I have a beautiful Spanish lace mantilla, but I feel uncomfortable wearing it now. People seem to judge me negatively when I have it on. Ironically, they expect me to be this judgmental ultra-traditionalist who carts around a full set of the Divine Office in Latin solely for the purpose of crushing heretics to death with it, and this makes it near-impossible for them to get to know me properly. So for the past few months I've just been flipping up the hood on my sweatshirt when I'm in church. [/quote] I am sorry you feel uncomfortable. I am sure most women for the first couple of times felt uncomfortable for the same reason. I encourage you to fight through that feeling. I think you'll be surprised how many people do see it as beautiful. And who knows, you might inspire others to wear one, or at least to think about it. God bless you!
LaPetiteSoeur Posted May 2, 2012 Author Posted May 2, 2012 [quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1335966925' post='2426050'] I have a beautiful Spanish lace mantilla, but I feel uncomfortable wearing it now. People seem to judge me negatively when I have it on. Ironically, they expect me to be this judgmental ultra-traditionalist who carts around a full set of the Divine Office in Latin solely for the purpose of crushing heretics to death with it, and this makes it near-impossible for them to get to know me properly. So for the past few months I've just been flipping up the hood on my sweatshirt when I'm in church. [/quote] I completely understand. That's why I got a black one, and I won't wear it all the time (at least not yet...). When I go overseas, it will be interesting to see how many other women wear veils, although since I"m not going to Spain I don't think I'll see the really long ones!
inunionwithrome Posted May 7, 2012 Posted May 7, 2012 I sometimes still fight through feeling uncomfortable. However, the mantilla is not about what others think. It is about glorifying Jesus with an outward sign and helping us to keep our focus on Him. I have both a white and a black one. From my understanding, the white is for those who are single and unmarried. It also symbolizes purity. All of the girls on their First Holy Communion wear a white veil symbolizing purity. It is also my understanding that you MUST wear a black veil in the presence of the Pope!! I don't know why, but only a few ladies have been granted the priviledge of wearing a white one in the Pope's presence. I have also noted that on a few Sunday's where I forgot my veil, I did not concentrate well. I also wear the black one for Reconciliation and during Lent. Perhaps, Advent this year too as they are both Liturgical times of purifying our hearts before God. I wore the white again when Easter came! So, it is a personal devotion. The guy you were talking about probably does this because no woman went into a church without covering her head. Even our Jewish ancestors had head coverings and the men and the women were seperated by some form of a wall from my understanding. Check out a Zenit Article on ETWN for further information. It is by Fr. McNamara I believe. Hope this helps!
Slappo Posted May 7, 2012 Posted May 7, 2012 (edited) [quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1335966925' post='2426050'] Ironically, they expect me to be this judgmental ultra-traditionalist who carts around a full set of the Divine Office in Latin solely for the purpose of crushing heretics to death with it[/quote] I don't see the problem with this . Crushing heretics to death with Latin liturgical books? SOUNDS AMESOME! I totally wish I was a girl so that I could wear a veil and crush heretics with Latin books! Lol ok enough joking . In all seriousness I love when my wife wears a veil. She two: a light blue and a brown. I got her the light blue to wear on Marian feast days and the brown to wear on regular days. Typically though she forgets to grab one what with all the crazyness of a baby and never having gotten into the habit of it. (hah, habit, veils, I bet there is a pun there somewhere...) Edited May 7, 2012 by Slappo
LaPetiteSoeur Posted May 8, 2012 Author Posted May 8, 2012 Well, it came in today and I wore it for a short trip to the Catholic Center to regroup after exams. It was kind of nice. No one was there except for the custodian, so it wasn't so totally overwhelming. I think the reason I hesitated for so long getting one is because people already think that I'm some crazy Catholic who is going to go all "judgy-judge" on them just because. (this was a quote from a friend). Those who get to know me know that I don't do that, and I guess I was just afraid more people would see me for something that I'm not. But then, that's a bit of a ridiculous fear, since really, what does it matter? I know that I don't judge others and I know that I act out of compassion, and if someone wants to judge by externals, that's their business. This turned into a rant, but I really wanted to say thank you to all of you!!
LaPetiteSoeur Posted May 8, 2012 Author Posted May 8, 2012 [quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1336503300' post='2428757'] Where did you get yours from? [/quote] veils and mantillas. It's run by a friend of Cheriemadame's, I think. They weren't expensive, and mine is very pretty!
FutureCarmeliteClaire Posted May 8, 2012 Posted May 8, 2012 razzle dazzle! They were gorgeous. I'm glad you like it!!
Lil Red Posted July 2, 2012 Posted July 2, 2012 Just came across this link: http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/vellemere Really beautiful items
PhuturePriest Posted July 2, 2012 Posted July 2, 2012 [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1341269320' post='2451663'] Just came across this link: [url="http://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/studio/vellemere"]http://www.artfire.c...tudio/vellemere[/url] Really beautiful items [/quote] Women get all the cool stuff. Us men have to make due with our hair and an ounce of shampoo.
Papist Posted July 3, 2012 Posted July 3, 2012 [quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1341269523' post='2451665'] Women get all the cool stuff. Us men have to make due with our hair and an ounce of shampoo. [/quote] I would not say that. Men get to be priest.
PhuturePriest Posted July 3, 2012 Posted July 3, 2012 [quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1341269606' post='2451666'] shampoo isn't necessary, you know. [/quote] Greasy hair is preferable? [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1341274334' post='2451689'] I would not say that. Men get to be priest. [/quote] But I ask you: Do Priests get cool headgear? Nope. You have to be a Bishop, Cardinal or Pope to get that cool stuff. Though the Priests on Going My Way figured out how to cheat the system.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now