kujo Posted April 30, 2012 Posted April 30, 2012 [center][img]http://gotchamovies.com/ul/photos/movie/the-dark-knight-rises/ffc0e10ab62fd397cf426eb90978390d-sc.jpg[/img][/center] [color=#333333]Theory: The Dark Knight Rises will feature a theme regarding the fomentation and exploitation of popular discontent for shallow political expediency. In other words, we'll be seeing a lot of "Occupy Wall Street" type stuff, with "liberals" siding with those wanting to succumb to Bane's desire purge the city of Batman, and "conservatives" defending the man who keeps the people safe.[/color] [color=#333333]I think we'll [/color][color=#333333]see Bane seeking to create a chaotic situation that will lead the city of Gotham to echo the statement made by a police officer during a press conference in The Dark Knight: "things have never been worse!" I believe the film will be a commentary on the dampening of America's will power by the saturizing and desensitizing effect of the 4th branch of the United States government: the mass media. Look no further than the recent crisis du jour, the Trayvon Martin case. Regardless of your personal beliefs on the subject, it is unequivocally true that the media outlets in this country--television, radio, electronic, national, local, etc.-- purposefully and intentionally sensationalized this tragedy for one reason: money. This is not to say that the intentions of the protesters and family members weren't sincere, but rather that the coverage was so intense and all-encompassing for the sole purpose of profit off of a product. In this case, the product being sold was a story about a poor black child being gunned down by an angry, racist adult male, simply because he was black. It didn't matter that some of the very few facts we have about what happened that night contradicted the veracity of this narrative. The thing about the media is that the stuff they sell doesn't have to be good, or true, or even worthwhile. No, they've got the golden goose--they monopolize our senses, to the point that all they've gotta do is say "hey, look at this," and you're in. You turn on the TV or click the link, and boom, the profit has been made. And guess what--unlike the pair of jeans that ripped as soon as you put them on, or the can of soup that was sold past its expiration date, the croutons they sell can't be returned for a refund. I know that this sounds cynical, and I've strayed substantial from my original point. So, to bring it back, let me say this: the "villain" in TDKR, be it Bane, Catwoman, Ra's Al Ghul, TALIA Al Ghul, will have a very clear goal--to frighten Gotham into submission. That's probably what the "doomsday device" we keep hearing about will be. But rest assured, this will just be a redherring designed to distract from their true purpose: the acquisition off all-consuming power. And what does THAT remind you of?[/color]
sixpence Posted April 30, 2012 Posted April 30, 2012 [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1335813602' post='2425286'] [color=#333333]And what does THAT remind you of?[/color] [/quote] Pink Panther Strikes Again???
Papist Posted April 30, 2012 Posted April 30, 2012 (edited) A shot in the Dark Knight. [img]http://www.sheilaomalley.com/archives/petersellers.jpg[/img] Edited April 30, 2012 by Papist
eagle_eye222001 Posted April 30, 2012 Posted April 30, 2012 [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1335813602' post='2425286'] [color=#333333]Theory: The Dark Knight Rises will feature a theme regarding the fomentation and exploitation of popular discontent for shallow political expediency..[/color] [color=#333333]I think we'll [/color][color=#333333]see Bane seeking to create a chaotic situation that will lead the city of Gotham to echo the statement made by a police officer during a press conference in The Dark Knight: "things have never been worse!" I believe the film will be a commentary on the dampening of America's will power by the saturizing and desensitizing effect of the 4th branch of the United States government: the mass media.[/color] [/quote] I agree. Given what the trailers have shown, there are obvious elements of class warfare, and political opportunists at work in the film. Granted, Gotham has always had class stuff going on, but especially the way American politics are going these days, Gotham seems eerily parallel.
cmotherofpirl Posted April 30, 2012 Posted April 30, 2012 Agrees with kujo. The actual location of the pic is Carnegie Mellon University, directly across from St Paul Cathedral
Amppax Posted April 30, 2012 Posted April 30, 2012 I have a friend who was an extra in this movie. And that's the sum total of my contribution to this thread.
ContemporaryCaflicCrusader Posted April 30, 2012 Posted April 30, 2012 [quote name='kujo' timestamp='1335813602' post='2425286'] [center][img]http://gotchamovies.com/ul/photos/movie/the-dark-knight-rises/ffc0e10ab62fd397cf426eb90978390d-sc.jpg[/img][/center] [color=#333333]Theory: The Dark Knight Rises will feature a theme regarding the fomentation and exploitation of popular discontent for shallow political expediency. In other words, we'll be seeing a lot of "Occupy Wall Street" type stuff, with "liberals" siding with those wanting to succumb to Bane's desire purge the city of Batman, and "conservatives" defending the man who keeps the people safe.[/color] [color=#333333]I think we'll [/color][color=#333333]see Bane seeking to create a chaotic situation that will lead the city of Gotham to echo the statement made by a police officer during a press conference in The Dark Knight: "things have never been worse!" I believe the film will be a commentary on the dampening of America's will power by the saturizing and desensitizing effect of the 4th branch of the United States government: the mass media. Look no further than the recent crisis du jour, the Trayvon Martin case. Regardless of your personal beliefs on the subject, it is unequivocally true that the media outlets in this country--television, radio, electronic, national, local, etc.-- purposefully and intentionally sensationalized this tragedy for one reason: money. This is not to say that the intentions of the protesters and family members weren't sincere, but rather that the coverage was so intense and all-encompassing for the sole purpose of profit off of a product. In this case, the product being sold was a story about a poor black child being gunned down by an angry, racist adult male, simply because he was black. It didn't matter that some of the very few facts we have about what happened that night contradicted the veracity of this narrative. The thing about the media is that the stuff they sell doesn't have to be good, or true, or even worthwhile. No, they've got the golden goose--they monopolize our senses, to the point that all they've gotta do is say "hey, look at this," and you're in. You turn on the TV or click the link, and boom, the profit has been made. And guess what--unlike the pair of jeans that ripped as soon as you put them on, or the can of soup that was sold past its expiration date, the croutons they sell can't be returned for a refund. I know that this sounds cynical, and I've strayed substantial from my original point. So, to bring it back, let me say this: the "villain" in TDKR, be it Bane, Catwoman, Ra's Al Ghul, TALIA Al Ghul, will have a very clear goal--to frighten Gotham into submission. That's probably what the "doomsday device" we keep hearing about will be. But rest assured, this will just be a redherring designed to distract from their true purpose: the acquisition off all-consuming power. And what does THAT remind you of?[/color] [/quote] Too true. Batman and his allies are the Tea partiers and Bane and his thugs are the "Occupy" group.
BG45 Posted April 30, 2012 Posted April 30, 2012 [quote name='Amppax' timestamp='1335827078' post='2425407'] I have a friend who was an extra in this movie. And that's the sum total of my contribution to this thread. [/quote] Ditto!
kujo Posted May 1, 2012 Author Posted May 1, 2012 [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8evyE9TuYk&feature=youtu.be"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8evyE9TuYk&feature=youtu.be[/url] Wow....
Papist Posted July 19, 2012 Posted July 19, 2012 I am going to go see it and simply ignore any political undertones.
kujo Posted July 19, 2012 Author Posted July 19, 2012 I had a good laugh yesterday when hearing Rush complain that the movie is going to be all about Romney. Of course, he's somewhat correct--The Dark Knight Rises will feature a character who, like Romney, comes from enormous personal wealth and stature, who choose to use his resources to influence the broad social and political structure of the land he calls home. He also wears a black cowl, a cape and drives a tank, in an attempt to fend off a villain who, while inciting violence and capitalizing on feelings of class warfare and economic upheaval. This character also doesn't breath fire, he doesn't have four eyes, and he is just about the most un-Romney character ever to appear in the Batman comics or movies..
BG45 Posted July 19, 2012 Posted July 19, 2012 I swear I hate Rush and the Obama campaign, because BOTH of them have said Bane is a toss out to Bain Capital and Romney. I hate to tell them this, but the character Bane was introduced in the comics in 1993, before Romney worked at Bain. Plus a lot of we fans are kinda ticked that they whitewashed a South American supervillain. Of course, if I'm right in my theory that he kills Batman, the political undertones would erupt into racist bickering that Gotham'sGreat White Hope was slain by someone who had different skin pigmentation; which could be why Bane is whiter than I am now.
HisChildForever Posted July 19, 2012 Posted July 19, 2012 I hope Catwoman is not so much a "bad guy" as an "independent contractor" type that will in her own way help Batman and then gracefully disappear from Gotham.
arfink Posted July 19, 2012 Posted July 19, 2012 I have a really great proposition about this movie: I don't care who you are or what kind of sick justification you make up for it, but if you spoil this movie for me I will find you... [size=6]...and I will kill you.[/size]
arfink Posted July 19, 2012 Posted July 19, 2012 If you are going to make spoilers, if you just cannot contain your disgusting desire to ruin the whole thing for everyone, at least have the decency to make a new thread and clearly label it "SPOILER" For all of our sakes, please.
HisChildForever Posted July 19, 2012 Posted July 19, 2012 (edited) The movie isn't out for another few hours, how can there be spoilers in this thread lol Edited July 19, 2012 by HisChildForever
arfink Posted July 19, 2012 Posted July 19, 2012 [quote name='HisChildForever' timestamp='1342736594' post='2457127'] The movie isn't out for another few hours, how can there be spoilers in this thread lol [/quote] In a few more hours someone will probably try to post spoilers. I'm threatening them now, before they can commit such a heinous deed.
Socrates Posted July 19, 2012 Posted July 19, 2012 I'm really psyched about (hopefully) seeing this movie this weekend - big fan of the Nolan bat-flicks. [quote name='BG45' timestamp='1342713046' post='2457018'] I swear I hate Rush and the Obama campaign, because BOTH of them have said Bane is a toss out to Bain Capital and Romney. I hate to tell them this, but the character Bane was introduced in the comics in 1993, before Romney worked at Bain. [/quote] Apparently, liberals started this business about how Bane is supposedly just like Romney (which seems to be based only on the similarity of the names "Bane" and "Bain"). Of course, Bane was chosen as the villain, the script written, and the movie filmed long before Bain Capital became a campaign issue. I haven't heard any of Rush's commentary on this, but if he really is taking that nonsense seriously at face value, he's only making a fool of himself. This c[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]ra[/font]p has got to be one of the stupidest political "controversies" I've ever seen. Here's an article I came across on NRO by Nathaniel Botwincik: [url="http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/309943/batman-and-romney-nathaniel-botwinick"] "Batman and Romney: The Politicization of [i]The Dark Knight Rises[/i]"[/url] For those who don't have time to read the article, Botwincik points out how if Romney resembles anyone in the movie, it is Bruce Wayne, rather than Bane, who is more like the Occupy protesters, but he concludes: [quote] The Dark Knight Rises is not an overtly political film, and partisan overtones should not be forced upon it. Christopher Nolan, who co-wrote the film in addition to directing it, describes it as an “elemental conflict between good and evil.†This is the final chapter in Bruce Wayne’s story, at least as told by Nolan, and it is the classic tale of the hero returning from retirement to save the world one last time. In the first Nolan film, [i]Batman Begins[/i], Bruce Wayne is asked, “What are you?†His response: “I’m Batman.†That is all he and the other characters in these films are: just characters, not political statements. [/quote] Nolan himself has stated that the movie is not intended as a right-wing or left-wing political statement. (Though I think he deliberately touches on current issues and anxieties such as terrorism, financial and social collapse, etc.) [quote]Plus a lot of we fans are kinda ticked that they whitewashed a South American supervillain. Of course, if I'm right in my theory that he kills Batman, the political undertones would erupt into racist bickering that Gotham'sGreat White Hope was slain by someone who had different skin pigmentation; which could be why Bane is whiter than I am now.[/quote] From what I've read, it looks like the movie's Bane is only very loosely based on the comics character (no venom, for instance). In today's political-correct and racially-volatile culture, an explicitly Latino Bane would probably just create distracting controversy about race/racism and stereotyping, and I think Nolan probably wanted to have Tom Hardy in the role. I really don't think his race/ethnicity is really that central to the character anyway. (I don't think Bane will actually kill Batman in the movie, but I want to watch it first to know for sure. I already know more about the plot of the movie than I want to.) Imo, this isn't a huge issue - similar to the fanboy speaking with an unpleasant disposition about Bane not being a giant venom-fueled hulk, the Joker not being "permawhite," and Selina Kyle/Catwoman not wearing a cat-eared cowl.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now