An Old School Catholic Message Board

Psychological Evaluation

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

Today, I talked to my pastor for a brief moment before Mass started today. I was getting his signature on a card for my friend who is leaving tomorrow to enter religious life. He remembered that we still needed to meet and told me that he wanted to give me some information on the appointment for me to get my psychological evaluation. I was a little surprised because I didn't know he wanted to do the psych eval so soon, but I'm trusting that this is what God wants for me. I've been doing that -- trusting -- all along with this order and I leave it in God's hands saying, "When You think I'm ready, I know You will move forward with the process. I trust You!" So, even though I am surprised, I am really looking forward to meeting with him in a week or two.

I ask for your prayers! :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Prayers, Mater.

"If God wants you in, nothing on earth will be able to keep you out; if God wants you out, nothing on earth will be able to get you in. So be at peace and trust that God knows what He is doing. Just take it one step at a time."

Easily the best vocation advice I ever received, from a very holy friar....

OnlySunshine

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1335905200' post='2425771']
Prayers, Mater.

"If God wants you in, nothing on earth will be able to keep you out; if God wants you out, nothing on earth will be able to get you in. So be at peace and trust that God knows what He is doing. Just take it one step at a time."

Easily the best vocation advice I ever received, from a very holy friar....
[/quote]

That's beautiful! My favorite quote is:

"Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer." -- Padre Pio

MM -- the psych eval is nothing to be concerned about. What will happen, will happen and worrying about it only serves to make you anxious.

I've been through three evals thus far. Three different circumstances (one for an American religious community, one during the midst of a major crisis in Argentina, and one here in the US that I paid for once I returned from Argentina).

Again -- just trust in the Lord, and don't worry about it. It really isn't worth the worry.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1335925545' post='2425900']
MM -- the psych eval is nothing to be concerned about. What will happen, will happen and worrying about it only serves to make you anxious.

I've been through three evals thus far. Three different circumstances (one for an American religious community, one during the midst of a major crisis in Argentina, and one here in the US that I paid for once I returned from Argentina).

Again -- just trust in the Lord, and don't worry about it. It really isn't worth the worry.
[/quote]

Thanks for the assurance. My friend, who is leaving tomorrow, told me pretty much the same thing. She had one once for her nursing degree and said that it's best not to get worked up about the whole thing. They look for normal answers not concocted ones. I'm pretty sure they would know when someone is lying.

Anyway, I told my mom tonight what my pastor said and she is very supportive still. I am really happy and so excited to get the process moving! :)

Strictlyinkblot

Prayers! Isn't it great that everything is moving quicker. I've ever so slightly jealous, being that I can't do anything other than pray until my debts are paid off.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1335931603' post='2425956']
I'm pretty sure they would know when someone is lying.
[/quote]

Ha. I'm laughing. Because when I was given the results of the psych eval in Argentina, the director (of the place where I had it done) decided to confront me because he thought I was lying.

I guess to say that I grew up poor, got a college degree from a top university, and had a high-paying career before entering the convent was enough to make them think that I was lying.

And well, MissyP can confirm this. My life experiences are, well, um, interesting. Interesting enough for a novel for sure.

Edited by cmariadiaz

He He He! Reminds me of the time I went to confession in a 'box' at a local University.

Mind you, I am NOT sinless! But when I had finished my confession, the priest said in an irritated voice, "OK, now tell me what your sins REALLY were!" I was non-plussed to say the least!

I mentioned it to my then good friend (and now husband), and asked him if he thought Father had some special insight and there ws some horrible sin of which I was unaware... I was really pretty upset and more than a little unnerved!

My friend just started laughing and said, 'Oh Anne... he's just used to hearing so many wild tales from the students, you just came across as totally unbelievable'.

I guess we are two of a kind, cmdiaz!

Mater, I think your pastor is a wise man to just get this over with and put behind you. Just be yourself, and we'll know more about what God wants when you take a few more steps. God is Good... always....

Most likely, the door will open, and if a door does close, it will only be to open one that is even more astonishingly wonderful. This I know from personal experience.... Seek His will, and all will fall into place.

MissScripture

My sister actually thought the psych eval was kind of fun. :idontknow: And she got accepted to the convent, so she's not totally crazy! :hehe: Actually, before she had it, I told her that she needed to be a little crazy, because all of the amesome Sisters I have ever met were just a little bit crazy. ;)

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1335998247' post='2426228']
He He He! Reminds me of the time I went to confession in a 'box' at a local University.

Mind you, I am NOT sinless! But when I had finished my confession, the priest said in an irritated voice, "OK, now tell me what your sins REALLY were!" I was non-plussed to say the least!

I mentioned it to my then good friend (and now husband), and asked him if he thought Father had some special insight and there ws some horrible sin of which I was unaware... I was really pretty upset and more than a little unnerved!

My friend just started laughing and said, 'Oh Anne... he's just used to hearing so many wild tales from the students, you just came across as totally unbelievable'.

I guess we are two of a kind, cmdiaz!

Mater, I think your pastor is a wise man to just get this over with and put behind you. Just be yourself, and we'll know more about what God wants when you take a few more steps. God is Good... always....

Most likely, the door will open, and if a door does close, it will only be to open one that is even more astonishingly wonderful. This I know from personal experience.... Seek His will, and all will fall into place.
[/quote]
I've been to confession with a priest who I am pretty sure DOES have special insight. It's creepy but really, really razzle dazzle at the same time. You come out and you're like, "WHOA! I want to do that again!" Although, come to think of it, that's sort of counterproductive, because we should be trying to not have to go to confession again...hmm... :think: :lol:

At any rate, having it done now will definitely decrease the stress during application time. No freaking out because you can't get it set up (my sister) or because they're not giving you your results (DTA).

I've been to a few of those, too, Miss Scripture -- but I don't think this was the same thing. But it was definitely a confession to be remembered!

I've had a few psych evals, and now I know that what they really will be doing is comparing you to others who do well in religious life and also making sure that there aren't any things that will cause you undue stress if you pursue religious life. If there is a problem, then it can be dealt with... or someone might be counselined that God wants something else from them.

Hey, while it wasn't technically a psych evaluation, the Daughters of Charity told Bl. Zelie (St. Therese's mom) that they didn't think she was a good candidate for religious life (apparently largely because of how they reacted to Zelie's overbearing mother!) ... and Therese's father, Bl. Louis, was told he didn't have a vocation because he couldn't learn Latin.... and look where that took us!

God will find the right hole for you, Mater!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1335999824' post='2426243']
I've been to a few of those, too, Miss Scripture -- but I don't think this was the same thing. But it was definitely a confession to be remembered!

I've had a few psych evals, and now I know that what they really will be doing is comparing you to others who do well in religious life and also making sure that there aren't any things that will cause you undue stress if you pursue religious life. If there is a problem, then it can be dealt with... or someone might be counselined that God wants something else from them.

Hey, while it wasn't technically a psych evaluation, the Daughters of Charity told Bl. Zelie (St. Therese's mom) that they didn't think she was a good candidate for religious life (apparently largely because of how they reacted to Zelie's overbearing mother!) ... and Therese's father, Bl. Louis, was told he didn't have a vocation because he couldn't learn Latin.... and look where that took us!

God will find the right hole for you, Mater!
[/quote]

Well, the good thing is that this psych eval is for the religious order that my pastor introduced me to. They do it for every candidate, so my pastor really wanted it done right away. He has connections to the Vocations office for my diocese and knows the psychologist who does the evals for the seminarians. It's wonderful because it means I don't have to fly to their convent up north! He already gave his verbal recommendation, in person, to the Provincial Superior and I talked to her right after so they already think I'm a good fit. God works in mysterious, but beautiful ways. Just when I thought discernment was over and I'd had enough, He sends me my pastor to tell me otherwise. :lol4: