An Old School Catholic Message Board

God Is Bigger Than Elvis

EJames2

God is Bigger than Elvis
[url="http://en.gloria.tv/?media=284857"]http://en.gloria.tv/?media=284857[/url]
A serious and sympathetic documentary made by HBO focusing on the early 1960's actress Delores Hart who left Holywood and joined the enclosed Benedictine Abbey of Regina Laudis and is now its prioress.

Chiara Francesco

Anyone know why Mother Dolores wears that beret-type hat? It looks very strange - and wrong actually! Please excuse if it is IS a Benedictine thing but I've never seen it before nor heard of it before. Any ideas?

[quote name='Chiara Francesco' timestamp='1335939827' post='2425988']
Anyone know why Mother Dolores wears that beret-type hat? It looks very strange - and wrong actually! Please excuse if it is IS a Benedictine thing but I've never seen it before nor heard of it before. Any ideas?
[/quote]

To keep her head warm! And I guess she's still got a sense of style, so she wears a beret (or was it a military-style cap?) ... I liked it.

Antigonos

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1335949469' post='2426015']

To keep her head warm! And I guess she's still got a sense of style, so she wears a beret (or was it a military-style cap?) ... I liked it.
[/quote]

I remember reading somewhere that she has a neurological condition that causes her sharp pains in her head when her head gets chilled.

[quote name='Antigonos' timestamp='1335951288' post='2426018']
I remember reading somewhere that she has a neurological condition that causes her sharp pains in her head when her head gets chilled.
[/quote]

Weirdly enough I think my Abbess has that same condition. Makes perfect sense to wear a hat, and why not a nice one :)

I enjoyed this video. I think it could possibly help family members understand the essence of the "why" of a religious vocation (which is essentially unexplainable) particularly to the cloistered life, although Regina Laudis is not really cloistered in the strict sense.

Keep in mind when watching that this community, Regina Laudis, is not a typical Benedictine community (they even mention that at the beginning of the video). They employ a lot of eccentricities that a lot of communities, especially cloistered communities, would not allow.

[quote name='ACS67' timestamp='1335962065' post='2426036']
I enjoyed this video. I think it could possibly help family members understand the essence of the "why" of a religious vocation (which is essentially unexplainable) particularly to the cloistered life, although Regina Laudis is not really cloistered in the strict sense.

Keep in mind when watching that this community, Regina Laudis, is not a typical Benedictine community (they even mention that at the beginning of the video). They employ a lot of eccentricities that a lot of communities, especially cloistered communities, would not allow.
[/quote]

Oh, is THAT what they meant? I saw that caption and was like, 'Pfft, no! I could name half a dozen other communities in the US that are cloistered and farms!' Thanks for clarifying that. (I do also think that all communities have their eccentricities...)

Hahaha! Yes. I think that is probably true Marigold. Eccentricities are part of the "family" that make up the various communities. All the sisters are so different and they all have to figure out a way to live together! LOL!

Regina Laudis has a theatre on the grounds and has a full summer season and I think one or two of the nuns are in charge of it every year. That is definitely....different....for a cloistered community. At first I thought I liked that idea (I was in theatre as an actress for over 20 years) but now....no. I would not want to be reminded of that life every summer. It would be like "putting ones hand to the plow and then turning back."

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Chiara Francesco' timestamp='1335939827' post='2425988']
[/quote]

I think the hat is cute. We have an elderly nun here who wears a woolen hat but it slides up her veil and ends up with a little pointed top and looks very funny - like she's an elf or something.

The Benedictines of RL and OLR are very practical. If they need a cardian or hat or something else to get warm, they use it. If they put it on under their habit, then if they got hot, they couldn't take it off very easily. Practical, practical.

[quote name='ACS67' timestamp='1335964279' post='2426041']
Hahaha! Yes. I think that is probably true Marigold. Eccentricities are part of the "family" that make up the various communities. All the sisters are so different and they all have to figure out a way to live together! LOL!

Regina Laudis has a theatre on the grounds and has a full summer season and I think one or two of the nuns are in charge of it every year. That is definitely....different....for a cloistered community. At first I thought I liked that idea (I was in theatre as an actress for over 20 years) but now....no. I would not want to be reminded of that life every summer. It would be like "putting ones hand to the plow and then turning back."
[/quote]

Or it could be like offering your talents to God and having him use them? Just a thought...

No. Nunsense. Trust me...Theatre and cloistered life do not mix. St. Francis was adamently AGAINST actors and I can understand why. In his original rule of 1221 for the laity (third order) rule 5 reads: ...."They shall not donate to actors, and shall forbid their household to donate." Granted Regina Laudis is not Franciscan but I can't imagine Clear Creek ever putting up a theatre on their grounds! It comes across as an attachment that someone still has to a way of life they left behind. That's just my opinion and I know you and I differ greatly on certain aspects of religious life so I'll say no more about it.

Bottom line I enjoyed the video and that is what this thread is about.

For what it's worth, I can see it as something that could be harmful for some (easy to get swept away) and beneficial for others (taking part in the arts to give glory to God!).

ACS, you've obviously thought about why it wouldn't be a good idea for you, but I think it might be a bit much to say that no religious should ever take part in the activity.

Edited for word choice :)

Edited by Lisa