An Old School Catholic Message Board

Age To Start Discernment?

DeusCaritasEst

DeusCaritasEst

Right now, I just turned the corner of fifteen. Is this too young to start a serious discernment? I feel that God is calling me to be something more than a plain-Jane member of society, to have a consecrated life, but I fear that perhaps I'm too young to be discerning things like that. On the other hand, there have been many young people called to the sainthood, and God has made his will known to people younger than me. :/
Thoughts? (:

I'm fifthteen and have been seriously discerning for almost 3 years and discerning with a specific community for 1 year. Look at Therese! She entered at our age!!

InPersonaChriste

Blessed Imelda started discerning at the age of Seven

Saint Nicholas was praying in the bathtub as an infant...

Being open to God's will is the start of discernment, and you can do that everyday at any age.

Spem in alium

I think it's fantastic that you're having such thoughts and desires at your age. They can really end up being guiding points for your present and future. Many young people don't tend to experience such a thing.
In my view, as long as your discernment is motivated by a desire to follow God's Will and is governed by charity, love and consideration (among other things), then age is not really of paramount importance.

I started seriously discerning this year (I'm 20) but had thought a bit about the religious life while in my mid-late teens. Nothing as serious as what I feel now, but the thought was kind of always there in the dingy recesses of my mind.

The discernment of a vocation to serve God’s church rarely takes place in a thunderbolt moment; rather, if you are open to God’s call, it is a gradual realization that occurs over several years. Throughout your discernment process be patient with yourself. Many discernment journeys undergo detours, crises and moments of resistance, both major and minor in nature. However, authentic moments of grace-filled clarity and inexpressible movements of the heart are also part of this journey. Be patient and steadfast in your discernment.

If you are being called by God to serve His Church, any progress in your discernment that moves you toward this end should leave you feeling more fully yourself, more fulfilled, more happy, and more fully alive than when discerning any other vocation.

Lilllabettt

[quote name='DeusCaritasEst' timestamp='1335923318' post='2425880']
Right now, I just turned the corner of fifteen. Is this too young to start a serious discernment? I feel that God is calling me to be something more than a plain-Jane member of society, to have a consecrated life [...] On the other hand, there have been many young people called to the sainthood, and God has made his will known to people younger than me. :/
Thoughts? (:
[/quote]

My thoughts are
1. [u]all[/u] young people are called to sainthood.
2. You may need more experience with/understanding of the universal call to holiness if you see the life of a baptized Christian as "plain Jane."

DeusCaritasEst

Thank you all for your responses! I've definitely thought about it a lot in the past but after my reception into the Church at Easter Vigil it's been hard not to picture a future with me where I'm not doing something of a religious nature. I guess the main thing that drives me to have a more focused life is failing to see the holiness in my relations with peers. Even when I'm talking with other Catholic teens, it just seems like they don't have a passion for their faith. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm "new." (; But even when I'm talking with adults, it seems that they're so concerned with things of a secular nature, and the only time they think about Christ in their life is on Sunday morning. But maybe that's just my community. (:
Again, thanks everyone. (:

AveMariaPurissima

A priest friend of mine once said, "God never calls early or late, but always at exactly the right time." Fifteen is definitely not too young to start discernment!!! I think it's actually a really good age, because you're old enough to start visiting communities, but young enough that you still have at least a few years before you have to make a decision.
I first wanted to be a nun when I was about 8 or 9, and I've been seriously discerning since about 11 or 12.

This is just some of my "motherly" advice about discerning:
I started discerning when I was 16 but I went around telling everyone I wanted to be nun at 7. Your Vocation is given to you at baptism, so I don't think it's too early for you to start discerning. For me, I have been discerning 4 years now and my heart is completely set on God so I have just put dating off because I believe I have already found my true love. I have rocky moments sometimes but that's all part of discernment. I have always tried to make the journey from using my head to using my heart as a compass because sometimes it doesn't always make logical sense. Trusting in God is a huge part of discernment and I don't think I would have made it this far otherwise. Hope always, love always, pray always and never give up and the lord will lead you to where he wants you! May God bless you along your journey! :pray: :smile3: :pray:

Edited by Annie12

TheresaThoma

I honestly don't believe there is a "right" age to start discerning. My suggestion is go for it but be realistic (ie know that you might have to wait a year or two before you can go on retreats with certain communities etc) and pray, pray, pray!

[quote name='DeusCaritasEst' timestamp='1336092672' post='2426746']
Thank you all for your responses! I've definitely thought about it a lot in the past but after my reception into the Church at Easter Vigil it's been hard not to picture a future with me where I'm not doing something of a religious nature. I guess the main thing that drives me to have a more focused life is failing to see the holiness in my relations with peers. Even when I'm talking with other Catholic teens, it just seems like they don't have a passion for their faith. I don't know, maybe it's because I'm "new." (; But even when I'm talking with adults, it seems that they're so concerned with things of a secular nature, and the only time they think about Christ in their life is on Sunday morning. But maybe that's just my community. (:
Again, thanks everyone. (:
[/quote]

Like the others have said, this can be a time to begin discernment and at least casually look into it. But also, don't discount how you can be leaven in your Catholic community. Show the great love you have for the faith and talk to others about it. You never know what impact you'll have on people. When I was in high school, I loved the faith, even if my living of it was sort of on-and-off. Several years later, a friend told me that some of the things I said in youth group really encouraged him on his own walk. Now he is an inspiration to me!!! Yes, discern where God's calling you (it's never too early), but live in the moment God gives you. That will change the world in ways you don't even know!!!

StClare_OraProNobis

Be careful to not judge where other people are at with the Lord. It is the sin of the publican who looked down on the sinner praying.