An Old School Catholic Message Board

Rite Of Consecration?

EmilyAnn

I was reading an article by a sister on the solemn profession ceremony and something jumped out at me that has me kind of concerned now.

It refers to a part of the ceremony called the Rite of Consecration. Is this the same as the consecration of virgins or is it something different? I don't really know much about the monastic profession so I have no idea.

Is it a shorthand way of referring to the C of Virgins? Or is it a section of the monastic profession? The text of the profession service (I'm guessing Benedictine?) must be out there somewhere, probably with commentary. See if you can find it. And/or contact DigitalDame and ask her.

All it says in what I was reading is Rite of Consecration, so I have no idea what it's referring to. It describes the ceremony as having two parts, first the monastic profession and then the consecration. I believe Madame Cecile (the founder of the abbey St C's stems from) was a consecrated virgin so I don't know if maybe it's a Solesmes thing maybe. It's hard to tell since all the Solesmes stuff is in French.

Google Translate! :) Even better than asking DigitalDame might be to email the abbey and ask, seeing as they're actually Solesmes.

Yeah I may have to just speak to the Novice Mistress at St. C's. I want to go speak with her anyway sometime so it's something I could ask. It's just got me really worried about what if it is the consecration of virgins and the ramifications of that.

Strictlyinkblot

When I was looking into the Benedictine orders I was told before that there was two ways to be consecrated, one was the consecration of virgins, and one of widows but I don't know any more than that.

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1335992773' post='2426185']
Yeah I may have to just speak to the Novice Mistress at St. C's. I want to go speak with her anyway sometime so it's something I could ask. It's just got me really worried about what if it is the consecration of virgins and the ramifications of that.
[/quote]

Well given that in the coverage of Sr. Elizabeth's recent solemn profession, her receiving the consecration of virgins was always mentioned separately to the profession, I don't think you've got anything to worry about. There's no way you could only be admitted to profession if you were a virgin or a widow. Go and find that NM and let her put your mind to rest!

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='marigold' timestamp='1335996461' post='2426218']
Well given that in the coverage of Sr. Elizabeth's recent solemn profession, her receiving the consecration of virgins was always mentioned separately to the profession, I don't think you've got anything to worry about. There's no way you could only be admitted to profession if you were a virgin or a widow. Go and find that NM and let her put your mind to rest!
[/quote]

Sorry, EmilyAnn, I didn't mean to imply that you could only be professed if you were a virgin or a widow, obv that's not the case. I phrased it very badly.

Mary's Margaret

I believe what the article may have been referring to is "monastic consecration" (which is different that the Consecration of Virgins). The vows of the 3 evangelical counsels fall more under the idea of a contract whereas " Monastic consecration is not the filling of a contract, it is a solemn blessing for imparting the graces needed to live a particular state of life." quote taken from a community of monks website, but it's the same for women. I found a great article on the distinction yesterday, but following the same trail today didn't lead me to it...if I find it again, I'll reference it.
Hope that helps a little

Found it: [url="http://books.google.ca/books?id=wxqV7H_EJTgC&pg=PA259&lpg=PA259&dq=monastic+consecration+benedictine&source=bl&ots=ueEMtAGynm&sig=cY8BImsaVqrQVnO7ljTIC8sl5mU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Uc2hT62xOsn1ggebt_ztCw&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=monastic%20consecration%20benedictine&f=false"]http://books.google.ca/books?id=wxqV7H_EJTgC&pg=PA259&lpg=PA259&dq=monastic+consecration+benedictine&source=bl&ots=ueEMtAGynm&sig=cY8BImsaVqrQVnO7ljTIC8sl5mU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=Uc2hT62xOsn1ggebt_ztCw&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=monastic%20consecration%20benedictine&f=false[/url]

hope that works (it wouldn't let me copy from the text)

Edited by Mary's Margaret

maximillion

Don't be too worried Emily, I did not fit this criteria (due to an assault when I was 16), it is not a pre-requisite for Religious life, I know because I discerned with them many years ago..................

Historically, although the Rite of Consecration fell out of use for non-monastic women in approximately the year 1000, it continued to be used for solemnly professed nuns in certain Orders. The Benedictines in particular retained this practice (although perhaps not consistently, judging from the surge of renewed interest in the Rite of Consecration for Benedictine nuns which began in the nineteenth century). Incidentally, one Benedictine monastery in the United States which continues the tradition of celebrating the Rite of Consecration in conjunction with solemn profession of religious vows is the Abbey of Regina Laudis, in Bethlehem, Connecticut.

[quote name='maximillion' timestamp='1336029861' post='2426452']
Don't be too worried Emily, I did not fit this criteria (due to an assault when I was 16), it is not a pre-requisite for Religious life, I know because I discerned with them many years ago..................
[/quote]

Thanks. I kind of have this panic that St. C's will find out and then reject me because of it.