An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Afraid To Sleep

PhuturePriest

PhuturePriest

This is one thing you may or may not have known about me. The reason for this is two reasons: I'm a heavy sleeper and I roll around all over the bed in my sleep. Why would this make me afraid to sleep? Well, first you must know to what degree am I a heavy sleeper. So heavy that once I fell off the top of a bunk-bed onto a hardwood floor and didn't wake up. Now that you know how bad it is, the reason I'm afraid to fall asleep is sometimes in my sleep I will roll onto my chest nose-first into the fabric, meaning I cannot breath. For most people this would be fine as after a few seconds they would wake up and gasp, but not me. Instead, I lay there for forever until by some miracle my body moves. I never actually wake up from it. This has happened too many times for comfort and as a result I'm afraid to sleep. I can remember one night this happened and I'm almost certain I nearly suffocated to death. It seemed I couldn't breath for the longest time and I couldn't figure out why in my dream. Last night I laid in bed until two-thirty until I eventually decided to sleep in a chair. I'm not really sure what the point to this thread is, I just wanted to tell someone about it.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1336153639' post='2427070']
you could always get your parents to strap you in at night...
[/quote]

Um, I'm kinda taking this very seriously, so although I'm as much of a fan of humor as anyone else (Perhaps more so) I would appreciate it if we could avoid jokes for this particular thread.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Archaeology cat' timestamp='1336154863' post='2427080']
Sorry, FP! That's something I'd see a doctor for, to be honest.
[/quote]

That's out of the question, unfortunately. We don't have health insurance and we can't really afford to see the doctor right now.

Go to a sleep clinic and get tested. Tell them about your concerns.

Seriously.

My dad has sleep apnea and he went to a sleep clinic to get tested. They had to wake him up at one point because he stopped breathing for several minutes. It doesn't sound like what you have is sleep apnea, but sleep problems can be very serious.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1336155055' post='2427081']
That's out of the question, unfortunately. We don't have health insurance and we can't really afford to see the doctor right now.
[/quote]

Then there's really nothing anyone here can do for you bro...

Archaeology cat

Most doctors and hospitals will work out a deal with you for uncompensated care. Being under 18, you might be eligible for Medicaid.

If you saw a doc about it he might be able to give you one of those masks that people with sleep apnea use. I don't know if that would work but just a thought.

dominicansoul

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1336154520' post='2427078']
Um, I'm kinda taking this very seriously, so although I'm as much of a fan of humor as anyone else (Perhaps more so) I would appreciate it if we could avoid jokes for this particular thread.
[/quote]

i'm being serious..its a fast remedy until you get to the bottom of your problem....

PhuturePriest

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1336158111' post='2427094']
i'm being serious..its a fast remedy until you get to the bottom of your problem....
[/quote]

Sorry, but being strapped down like I'm a psych patient is not something I'm willing to try. Last night I tried putting a huge backpack beside me so I wouldn't be able to roll that way, but I figured out how to get past it so I decided against it. I'm thinking of sleeping on the floor, but there are so many spiders out now that I'm not even sure I could sleep through the night. I've killed four gigantic spiders in the past few days alone.

Edited by FuturePriest387

I know that when my uncle was having trouble with sleep apnea he would tie a tennis ball to his back so if he tried sleeping on his back he'd feel it and wake up.

I don't know if the reverse wold work for you, because you're such a heavy sleeper, but it's all I got. You really should try to see a doctor though. I know you have no health insurance but sometimes there's ways of manipulating the system ;)

Maximilianus

[color=#ffffff]Nevermind. [/color]

Edited by Maximilianus