An Old School Catholic Message Board

So . . .

Ice_nine

I'm starting to reach out to vocation directors via email. I feel dumb, but I always feel dumb so nothing new there. I also don't know what the hell I'm doing, but nothing new there either.

Hey if you want to throw a prayer my way though THAT WOULD BE JUST DANDY.

:)

:unsure:

Strictlyinkblot

Prayers. Horrible waiting for replies. I sent out an email over a week ago and I still haven't heard anything back

Ice Nine, this is the place where people TOTALLY understand what you are talking about, and are VERY happy to pray for you!

You won't look dumb.... vocation directors are used to people making moderately lame first contacts. Most of them will try to help you feel more comfortable right away. So just do it! 20 seconds of courage.

Strictlyinkblot, I will pray hard that you get a response... if you don't hear more by mid-next week, I'd try again... sometimes emails and snail mails wander off... and don't get to where they are headed. Or people forget that they had intended to reply. Hang in there!

Maximilianus

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1336160608' post='2427112']
I'm starting to reach out to vocation directors via email. I feel dumb, but I always feel dumb so nothing new there. I also don't know what the hell I'm doing, but nothing new there either.

Hey if you want to throw a prayer my way though THAT WOULD BE JUST DANDY.

:)

:unsure:
[/quote]

You'll be alright, you're not supposed to have everything figured out instantly. Just don't wear that balaclava thing when you have meetings with Vocation Directors or go on retreats, it might be awkward for everyone involved.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

Prayers...may God show you his will and provide you with the grace and strength to perform the same.

OnlySunshine

I think the hardest thing about discernment is that first contact. I met the Provincial Superior of my current order in person in February and tried to write her twice. She has been unable to write because she is a nurse and works during the night! I didn't know this until my pastor told me. I knew she'd be busy, but I had no idea that she worked such odd hours. It made me feel a little better that she wasn't just making me wait so long.

I've contacted other orders in the past and waiting for an answer can be like agony. Just know that if God wants you there, nothing will keep Him away. Just trust and have patience in Him! Prayers! :blowkiss:

Spem in alium

May God bless you. I have very limited experience with contacting vocational directors, but can relate to your feelings. I'll be praying for you.

Thanks y'all. Part of the challenge for me I think, is finding the right [i]type[/i] of community/charism to pursue. It would be sorta nice to just have a magical fairy come and tell me. I am attracted to the idea of missionary work, but other than that I'm just overwhelmed by all that's out there. I've been slacking in my search lately but I'm trying to hunker down.

It would also be nice if a mentor magically presented themself to me to navigate the field and help narrow my scope.

And then if God wants to send an angel or some other miraculous phenomena my way, that'd work too. Although I'd probably just think I'm hallucinating, and feel more crazy, so maybe no ;)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Ice_nine' timestamp='1336172648' post='2427200']
Thanks y'all. Part of the challenge for me I think, is finding the right [i]type[/i] of community/charism to pursue. It would be sorta nice to just have a magical fairy come and tell me. I am attracted to the idea of missionary work, but other than that I'm just overwhelmed by all that's out there. I've been slacking in my search lately but I'm trying to hunker down.

It would also be nice if a mentor magically presented themself to me to navigate the field and help narrow my scope.

And then if God wants to send an angel or some other miraculous phenomena my way, that'd work too. Although I'd probably just think I'm hallucinating, and feel more crazy, so maybe no ;)
[/quote]

Well, us peeps on Phatmass are ready and willing to assist you with finding orders. Missionary orders are what I'm into now, too, with one in particular. I NEVER thought I'd be interested in missionary work but God keeps sending me random signs this way, especially in the form of my pastor introducing me to the Provincial Superior! :blush:

I have a knack for researching orders. If you want, I can give you some information.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1336176148' post='2427238']
Well, us peeps on Phatmass are ready and willing to assist you with finding orders. Missionary orders are what I'm into now, too, with one in particular. I NEVER thought I'd be interested in missionary work but God keeps sending me random signs this way, especially in the form of my pastor introducing me to the Provincial Superior! :blush:

I have a knack for researching orders. If you want, I can give you some information.
[/quote]

well the thing is, do missionary orders have something like a "base" in the US (or wherever they originate from. I remember reading a book about African missionaries going to Germany lolz)? I assume they do.

I've looked at vocations match and it is helpful but the orders it matched me with are far away and I just can't afford to travel to Chicago or Cali right now. Logistically it's very daunting. I'm near Boston so I figure there must be opportunities here (you know New England used to be kinda Catholic and all). I've gone onto the archdiocese site, but still navigating thru the orders they have listed there is still confusing. I'm thinking of emailing the delegate for vocations like "PLZ HALP." But I don't even know if that's the right person to contact or how busy said person probably is. Yikes.

Oh yeah and haven't told any living soul besides internet folk about my plans in this area. I'm the only one in my family that is more than nominally Catholic (in my huge extended family there are ppl who consistently go to Mass etc, just not my immediate), so yeah, it's difficult dealing with the ramifications of that. And I think I'd like to at least get the ball rolling before I tell people, otherwise it could be all talk no action and I don't want that u know?

thanks for the prayers pham. Much appreciated.

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

I was AFRAID to tell my family I was looking at going to Seminary...I'm the ONLY Catholic in my immediate family, and I have one uncle and a cousin I rarely see who converted a few years before me. I was amazed at how supportive they were and are of me. Granted I only know what you have shared here, but I would think your family would be happy about it. I will pray for them too so that they can be supportive of you when you decide to share your path with them.