An Old School Catholic Message Board

Marian Hymns From The Benedictines Of Mary

OnlySunshine

OnlySunshine

A few days ago, I got a stuffed envelope in the mail from the Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles. I've never written to the Sisters for information so I was kind of stumped as to how they got my address. I am so glad they got it, though, because there was a little surprise inside! A beautiful CD entitled [i][b]Marian Hymns of Ephesus[/b][/i]! I have started listening to it and it is absolutely beautiful. You just want to stop and meditate on the words, especially [i]Salve Regina[/i] and [i]Magnificat[/i]. I am in tears from their beautiful, angelic voices.

I highly recommend that you consider purchasing a CD if you have not already. I highly recommend [i][b]Marian Hymns of Ephesus[/b][/i] -- so much so that I am going to put it on my iPod and I will always have it to listen to! I have included a link to the CDs portion of their website:

[url="http://benedictinesofmary.org/catalog/93"]Benedictines of Mary Hymns CD[/url]

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

dominicansoul

I received the same mailing Mater!! MAYBE ITS A SIGN!!! :hehe2:

well, might be a sign for you, but I'm too old :P the music is very very beautiful. This is the order I always brag about. If I fulfilled the requirements, I'd be making a bee-line for that convent....

OnlySunshine

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1336662380' post='2429433']
I received the same mailing Mater!! MAYBE ITS A SIGN!!! :hehe2:

well, might be a sign for you, but I'm too old :P the music is very very beautiful. This is the order I always brag about. If I fulfilled the requirements, I'd be making a bee-line for that convent....
[/quote]

I'm too old, too. Their cut-off is 25 and I'm about to turn 29 in over 2 months. Anyway, although I think they are a very beautiful, holy order, I have never been attracted to the idea of entering there. I am considering active/contemplative orders instead of monastic/cloistered orders. ;)

Their cutoff is TWENTY-FIVE?!?!?!?!

Holy cow.

They can do what they like, without permission from me, but I find that difficult to imagine.

Queen'sDaughter

Actually, though the cut-off age used to be 25, they have raised it to 28 this past year. Mater, you were correct, but I think they realized that an older age would be more realistic.

On a different note (to make a pun), I enter in 4 months!

Time to start a countdown thread, Queen's daughter! :)

Obviously the Sisters can do what they will, but I tend to agree with KrissyLou. Somehow even 28 seems an awfully low number, but they must have good reasons. But it seems strange to me, given that so many of the foundresses were well above that age when they came together, and that certainly hasn't been a problem for them.... Perhaps they are concerned that the average age of the Sisters means that they need to push for younger sisters, but I don't know.... and they certainly are getting many fervent vocations, so it is working for them I guess.

But, I wish you well there, Queen's Daughter, and we will pray for you, other candidates, and of course the Sisters. :)

AveMariaPurissima

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1336679309' post='2429522']
Time to start a countdown thread, Queen's daughter! :)
[/quote]
I second that! :)

I believe they consider each person on an individual basis as I am turning 31 in August but the sisters have invited me to visit in November😄

Thanks for that info, Piobaire! I wish you a wonderful visit and great discernment process. They are a lovely community.

I did check the Sisters' website, and it indicates they are open to people contacting the Novice Mistress between 16 and 28. Now that makes sense, especially if there are visits and applications and 'things' to do that take time as part of the discernment process... someone could easily end up being in her 30's by the time of her entrance if she contacted them at 28.

Many communities have some flexibility for a candidate who might have a strong vocation. But realize that they make it clear they will really be looking for people who fit within that age range on their website:

[indent=1][color=#0000ff]If you are an unmarried, healthy, Catholic woman practicing the Faith for at least two years, and are between the ages of 16 and 28, you may contact the Novice Mistress at the following address:[/color][/indent]

[indent=1][color=#0000ff]Novice Mistress
Priory of Our Lady of Ephesus
8005 NW 316th Street
Gower, MO 64454[/color]

[/indent]
So.... if I felt a call to discern with them and was a good fit but just a little younger or older (I would think 15-30 qualifies!) I'd contact the Novice Mistress.

Quoting a holy priest: "If God wants you in, nothing on this earth will keep you out; and if God doesn't want you in, nothing on this earth will get you in. So, move forward and trust God and be at peace." Very wise vocational advice....

InPersonaChriste

I bought their CD for my mother when I visited them. It was the only money I spent in America :)

Queen'sDaughter

[quote name='AveMariaPurissima' timestamp='1336679897' post='2429528']
I second that! :)
[/quote]

Well...okay. :blush:

PadrePioOfPietrelcino

I ordered all three...and I love their vestments...God willing I'm ordained I'll place an order with them. I look at different vestments the way some look at habits...beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Queen'sDaughter' timestamp='1336677404' post='2429510']
I enter in 4 months!
[/quote]

How amesome! Praying for you.