An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would You Be A Jew, If Not Christian?

dairygirl4u2c

6 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Spem in alium

Hmm. This is an interesting question that has a close relevance for me. My best friend, who is Catholic, is seriously considering becoming Jewish, and we've sort of discussed things such as this.

dairygirl4u2c

maybe i should have added.... at least if i had more options to include more questions than three.... "if you chose not to be a jew, but would otherwise be a christian... why not be a jew?" isn't that the default option? do you not take judaism to truly and fully be the necessary foundation to christianity, or the messiah?

Mark of the Cross

If it weren't for NT references I would dismiss Judaism entirely as illogical and incompatible with a God of wisdom and love. IMO If you take away Jesus, you take away God. I would therefore be an atheo/humanist. A humanist has all the Christian values without theism. My next choice would possibly be Buddhist. I don't know that much about it, but it seems compatible with Christianity except for reincarnation the idea of which I don't like. Islam has many positives, but Moh seems a bit too sus for my liking and it has many of the inconsistencies of Judaism. Social law and God's law should be separate. Free choice an' all thet!

No. Because according to Judaism a non-Jew can be saved so long as the follow laws contained within other monotheistic faiths (the 7 laws of Noah). You gotta play the odds. Picking Judaism has no pay-off if Judaism turns out to be correct.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1337038772' post='2430648']
No. Because according to Judaism a non-Jew can be saved so long as the follow laws contained within other monotheistic faiths (the 7 laws of Noah). You gotta play the odds. Picking Judaism has no pay-off if Judaism turns out to be correct.
[/quote]
What do you have against the idea of salvation for people outside of a specific religion. Christianity, Judaism and Islam all have this in common.

A fellow convert and friend once told me that she could never be any other type of Christian than Catholic, after experiencing the Sacraments, and that should she ever fall away, she'd become Pagan again and worship the gods and goddesses of her ancestors. I don't know if I'd go that route if Christianity never existed, but I doubt I'd be Jewish instead. Most likely, if Christianity failed to exist, Mithras worship or Zoroastrianism would have taken off in the Roman Empire, or polytheism would still be all the rage.

Groo the Wanderer

sorry. poll cannot be answered. Christ IS revealed and cannot be UNrevealed.

Also the whole point of Judaism was as an intermediary process of God's self-revelation to humanity. They are the chosen people and were supposed to end up Christian (prolly still will be ultimately). In other words, Judaism cannot stand alone by itself indefinitely - at some point the Messiah is revealed.

So...the question makes no sense because it rules out the eventual coming of Christ.It would be a dead end.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1337044479' post='2430689']
What do you have against the idea of salvation for people outside of a specific religion. Christianity, Judaism and Islam all have this in common.
[/quote]

Christianity and Islam? Not to my knowledge. Both say at best that maybe some individuals in extraordinary circumstances can be saved despite their non-belief.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1337107977' post='2430968']
Christianity and Islam? Not to my knowledge. [b]Both say[/b] at best [b]that maybe some individuals in extraordinary circumstances can be saved despite their non-belief.[/b]
[/quote]
Read my signature!
Cardinal George Pell made a statement on QandA that atheists are not outside of the possibility of salvation. What did Jesus say the recipe for salvation was? All theist religions can qualify and there is the possibility of non theists. Theism or the lack exists in the mind, God dwells in the heart.

[quote name='Mark of the Cross' timestamp='1337123174' post='2431032']
Read my signature!
Cardinal George Pell made a statement on QandA that atheists are not outside of the possibility of salvation. What did Jesus say the recipe for salvation was? All theist religions can qualify and there is the possibility of non theists. Theism or the lack exists in the mind, God dwells in the heart.
[/quote]

I didn't deny that Christianity has a recent tradition of saying that some individual under some pretty restricted circumstances (although the language is vague) may be possibly saved.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1337150601' post='2431159']
I didn't deny that Christianity has a recent tradition of saying that some individual under some pretty restricted circumstances (although the language is vague) may be possibly saved.
[/quote]
So back to your original statement. What do you mean by there is no pay off?

rhetoricfemme

I like that Groo stated that Christ has been revealed and cannot be unrevealed. True story!

I don't see world where I could be anything other than Christian, but for several reasons Judaism is still fascinating and beautiful to me.

And no, if I were Jewish, I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a liberal Jew for disagreeing with the stoning law. I'd probably still be rather orthodox, but not to such a degree. Pardon my paraphrase of the facts, but I remember reading about how an older rabbi may approve of the yoke of a younger rabbi who may disagree with certain beliefs or traditions, on the grounds of the younger rabbi whole-heartedly believing that he is following the will of God. If anyone knows more about this and would like to correct me, feel free. :)

Christ's beginning did not start at the Incarnation. Jesus Christ has always been and always will. So, for Christianity to not exist would be to say God did not become man, Word did not become flesh.

Well, if that is the case, which is absurd, I guess I'd be a gentile in search for Truth. But I think God would have ended things centuries ago, making this all irrelevant b/c I would not be here.