An Old School Catholic Message Board

Update

Joan Marie Wandel

Joan Marie Wandel

Hey All-

I haven't posted in a long time, I haven't even been on in awhile. Well anyways I will be going to visit a community for two days next week friday and saturday. So I ask for prayers please. also I will be going to Haiti this summer for a week. Well I have a question has anyone ever been to Haiti or other countries for mission work. What was your experience there?

Strictlyinkblot

I'm afraid I've never been on missionary work so I can't offer any advice but I will pray for you.

LaPetiteSoeur

Prayers! I've never been missioning in a foreign country, but I'm going to be missioning in two weeks in the Southern US for awhile. Bring a journal--that way you can record your thoughts/memories/prayers, and it'll be a great way to not only grow in faith but to also remember your journey in later years.

Spem in alium

Prayers and blessings! Never done mission work, but I hope your trip is a joyful and fulfilling experience for all involved.

Prayers for next weekend and also your visit to Haiti which I'm sure will be very rewarding.

[quote name='Joan Marie Wandel' timestamp='1337392539' post='2432458']
Well I have a question has anyone ever been to Haiti or other countries for mission work. What was your experience there?
[/quote]
:)

I went to the Dominican Republic twice on mission (one was 3 weeks, the other was about a week). I went to Mexico on mission once (a week). I also went to Mexico as a volunteer for 4 months at a boarding program for youth (focusing on Otomi youth).

The last overseas experience was in a religious community in Argentina as a postulant ... long story. But during the 2nd half of my experience, I lead a door-to-door evangelization team that worked for 45 days going door-to-door in a relatively poor area. Dirt roads. One area where we didn't enter (because it wasn't part of the chapel's area) was the Cri-Cri ... and in that area there were a number of shacks. We did enter one person's home, because she asked us to go to her house and the level of poverty was shocking.

Joan Marie I am excited for you .... the experience will be life changing. My first experience made me face a hard question -- how can we here in the US spend millions on a project (I am an engineer working on a major program) yet there are people in the world who don't know where their next meal will come from? It threw me into a spin. Surprisingly I went on my second trip about 9 months later, still reeling from the 1st. And the second one put everything in perspective and at the same time tore my heart (at an orphanage I held a 2 year old child with developmental issues in my arms, and played with him -- and I kept thinking "how can no one want you" ... I had to pass on the child to another one from my group because all I wanted is to take him home with me).

Just go with an open heart and mind, and don't be afraid. It will change you for the better, and it will help you appreciate all that you have. You'll even learn to appreciate what it means to be an American. I know I do (especially after a year away from the US).

Joan Marie Wandel

Just got back from being back from visiting Maryknoll formation house and loved every moment of it

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your visit to the Maryknoll formation house over the weekend............. prayers for you.!!

Joan Marie Wandel

i leave for Haiti August 9th

Edited by Joan Marie Wandel

LaPetiteSoeur

That's amesome! The Maryknoll sisters have a book called "Bernie Becomes a Nun" that helped me a lot in my early discernment. Their apostolate and charism are beautiful.

Joan Marie Wandel

I love this order i feel like its the order for me :) but I'm still looking and I hope i can visit them again

Have you read a book by Penny Lernoux about the Maryknoll Sisters? I think it's called "Hearts on Fire."