An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Does One Remain Fully Catholic While Watching T.v? .

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Ash Wednesday

If you cannot watch television without it affecting your life in a negative manner, then by all means, throw it out. I haven't had a TV for years. I'm not opposed to getting one, we just don't really have a place to put it.

The internet has just as many pitfalls as television, and given the interactive element of it, sometimes even moreso. And yet here we are, interacting on a Catholic site in a way that can be beneficial.

In the end, it's not the medium that is the problem, it is the discretion and judgment of the users that is the issue. That goes not just for what you choose to watch or view online, but also if you are working in the media industry, what you are posting, distributing or broadcasting to the masses. It is our responsibility to monitor what is in our lives and how we use our time. We can all benefit from turning off the computer and television more often, but at the same time even the Church recognizes their usefulness to a certain degree.

The internet is not the problem. Television is not the problem. WE'RE the problem.

Edited by Ash Wednesday

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

i have to apologies for my bad taste in words, i shouldn't of said Junkie i sould've have said Addict.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

Ash wednsday, i disagree, concerning the internet, i can more freely isolate what i will and what i won't, as opposed to free to air or payed t.v. where if you watch one show on any channel your putting a thumbs up indirectly to the whole broadcasting company whatever they produce 24/7, same for movie companies.

edit:also ash wedensday my whole point is the excess waste of time that so many give to t.v. viewing and movies and i should add computer games, which could be spent towards any amount of other things that build the body of the church and the human community as a whole even if not christian,socially,politicaly(writing letters to government officials.) and other stuff to, even just thinking, what a novel idea huh, thinking.

Edited by Tab'le Du'Bah-Rye

Mark of the Cross

This thread might be better named 'How does one remain fully sane while watching TV'? because of more ads than program, multiple singing & cooking shows and those awful sitcoms with their laughing machines.

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

just watch the song All this love by the similou , as music is art i view this song as the t.v. being the rainbow(all the colors of the rainbow.) but it can't love or be loved therefore why the person is still blue. And if you think about it deeper if this is true what i have just said than it is a false idol, a dead GOD not a living GOD.

P.s. and to top off my un t.v'd thinking this song to be is also saying that it's a vain attempt of man to try and smash the consequences of greed for money. Or possibly that t.v. is destroying society. Like you think/feel your on cloud nine induldging in the false light but it is an illusion type artist song by the simlou

From bob brissie to you sam

Tab'le De'Bah-Rye

jeah tobies bizzack grab your back don't have a heart attack lol

edit : for some reason i can't edit the previous post but i meant to say the music and the film clip is art so i can discern it how i percieve it like a picasso. You may agree or disagree with my discernment of the song and film clip

PilgrimageOfGrace

Television really can be brain rot -- there are still a few educational programs on things like Discovery and History channel though in terms of entertainment I'd be careful what you let yourself watch, you cannot un-watch things.

Edited by PilgrimageOfGrace

PilgrimageOfGrace

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1340124348' post='2446326']
TV would be so much better if they purged all reality shows...and I mean ALL.
[/quote] :bravo: starting with the Kardashians!

[quote name='PilgrimageOfGrace' timestamp='1340125049' post='2446328']
:bravo: starting with the Kardashians!
[/quote]

Just as long as it starts!!!!

maximillion

....and I thought we had problems over here (UK)!!!!!!!!

I have to pay a license fee for the pleasure of watching the beeb.
Now [b]some[/b] of the beeb is watchable, but most of the rest is just like how you all describe it. You can't stay Catholic OR sane.

And, if I tossed out the TV I would still have to pay the license, because all PC's these days are capable of live streaming, and if we have this equipment in the house - even if we don't use that facility, we have to pay up. That's an insult!

Edited by maximillion