An Old School Catholic Message Board

My First Retreat Experience

Kayte Postle

Kayte Postle

Hey all!

Well I just got back from the DSMME retreat weekend and all I can say is WOW. Where do I begin?

First I must say that I loved the sisters! This was my first prolonged expirence with sisters, and I loved them all! They were just so funny, joyfully, and overall happy. The weekend was wonderful, I had so much fun, but there was soooo much packed into those 24hrs, and I'm still trying to un-pack everything that happened.

After this weekend I seriously believe that I am called to a religious vocation, but I am more aware of my need to wait on my discernment. I talked to lil-mon about this when we were leaving, but for a large part of the weekend I was frustrated. There was like this wall between me and what the Lord and Mother Mary were trying to tell me concerning my vocation. I know that is because I'm not catholic yet and I can't fully particpate in the sacraments. (not being able to go to confession and recieve eucharist is soo gosh darn difficult and heartbreaking.)

I did walk away from the weekend with a lot of peace. Peace in knowing that all will happen in God's timing, and that I have one avvsome year of learning/education ahead of me. And I know I'll be back in ann arbor next May when I can pursue the possibility of a vocation full steam ahead. =)

Katye, as a convert, you are blessed to enter the Church purposefully, and I know that this next year will be filled with many graces for you! I'm so glad you enjoyed the retreat and were able to explore the idea of religious life. May Christ continue to bring you peace and joy in becoming first, a member of His Body, the Church Jesus founded. Once you've entered the Church and if you continue to feel that He's calling you to religious life, I definitely hope to see you next year! Imagine the joy of fully participating in the Sacraments with all the Sisters and discerning women!!!!!

Wish I could have been there and met you!

Edited by Lisa

dominicansoul

Kayte,

I'm happy you had this experience. Now...what did you win in the White Elephant game?

Kayte Postle

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1338311215' post='2437155']
Kayte,

I'm happy you had this experience. Now...what did you win in the White Elephant game?
[/quote]

Nothing actually. haha, at the last second of the game one of the retreatants scooped up the brown scapular I had obtained, and I hadn't had the chance to go kidnap something else. Lil-mon was kind enough to give me a rubber ducky that she had gotten. =) I named him squishy. It was one intense game.

edit: correcting my spelling errors.

Edited by Kayte Postle

i<3franciscans

Thanks so much for sharing! i am quite jealous that you got to meet lilmon! Many prayers for you in your discernment. :)

Peace!
fran

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Kayte Postle' timestamp='1338311759' post='2437161']
Nothing actually. haha, at the last second of the game one of the retreatants scooped up the brown scapular I had obtained, and I hadn't had the chance to go kidnap something else. Lil-mon was kind enough to give me a rubber ducky that she had gotten. =) I named him squishy. It was one intense game.

edit: correcting my spelling errors.
[/quote]

Hehe, that reminds me of "Finding Nemo" when Dory says "I shall call him 'squishy' and he shall be mine." :hehe2:

Kayte Postle

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1338326596' post='2437368']
Hehe, that reminds me of "Finding Nemo" when Dory says "I shall call him 'squishy' and he shall be mine." :hehe2:
[/quote]
That is precisely how I decided to name him :proud:

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1338328713' post='2437392']
I'm glad you had such a good time. Waiting is hard, I know.
[/quote]
Yup. I'm learning a lot of patience from it though, and I keep being told that the waiting will make it that much more avvsome and special when the time comes.

Edited by Kayte Postle

i<3franciscans

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1338342253' post='2437548']
This thread is full of sweetness!
[/quote]It is now that you joined it. :)

AveMariaPurissima

I'm so glad you had such a good time at the retreat! Aren't those retreats awe.some? I've been on, like, three!

Kayte Postle

[quote name='Lil'Monster' timestamp='1338342253' post='2437548']
This thread is full of sweetness!
[/quote]
Dawww shucks. :hehe2: