An Old School Catholic Message Board

How To Ask My Dad

Katiebobatie94

Katiebobatie94

Okay so I have no idea where to post this but.........there is a church like one town over from me that has Eucharistic Adoration everyday from like 12-4pm, and I am done with school early enough to go. However it would require me taking public transportation which I need my dad's permission to do. The problem is I don't know how to tell him what I want to do. It makes it even harder because he's not really religious.....Any suggestions?

I can see your problem because I always felt kind of uncomfortable/embarrassed when I would be religious around my parents...and we're all Catholic converts! Pray about it and then just talk to him. As long as he isn't against you going, or just against public transportation, it should go smoothly! If he doesn't say 'ok' right away, you might want to remind him that your not doing something bad, it's adoration--again though, whether you say that or not depends on your dad. Good luck and I really hope he understands! Adoration is the highlight of my day. :)

Strictlyinkblot

I'm very lucky, my family are catholic. I'll say a prayer that he understands. As Emmaberry said its not as if you're doing something bad. Perhaps you could negotiate a time with him that you'll leave by and maybe leave your phone on silent so if he wants to get hold of you he can. Underline the fact that Adoration helps you with the stress of study and makes you feel calmer as well as the prayerful aspect. Is there someone you can go with at least some of the time?

maximillion

Maybe put it in the context of what some other folks get up to and though this is not what rocks him, it is a darn sight better than some of the alternatives (even if we know you wouldn't do those things!). Most parents would give their eye teeth to know exactly where their offspring are, and that they are safe.

I wouldn't necessarily make it any big deal. "Hey Dad, I want to go do this after school sometimes. I'd get there on the bus. Is that okay with you?"

You're not saying you intend to enter a convent tomorrow. You're saying you want to do this after school sometimes. And it's the middle of the afternoon. (Another phatmasser used to go to adoration with her mother weekly from 2-3 am and I would tease her about "waking up Jesus!" Your proposed schedule is much more reasonable.)

If his immediate response is "heck no!" then you may need to rethink and revamp (and maybe accept a "no" for a while as frustrating as that may be). But don't build this up as some huge deal in advance, when it might not be that difficult at all!

Katiebobatie94

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1338451266' post='2438585']
I'm very lucky, my family are catholic. I'll say a prayer that he understands. As Emmaberry said its not as if you're doing something bad. Perhaps you could negotiate a time with him that you'll leave by and maybe leave your phone on silent so if he wants to get hold of you he can. Underline the fact that Adoration helps you with the stress of study and makes you feel calmer as well as the prayerful aspect. Is there someone you can go with at least some of the time?
[/quote]

Unfortunately no, as much as my other friends do go to church, they're not the type to go to adoration with me if i asked them. The ones that would go with me are either in school still or live too far away from me.

Strictlyinkblot

Well, if you can't get to it can I suggest www.savior.org I know I've posted it before but basically its a live web cam to the Blessed Sacrament exposed. I know its not the same thing as going to the church but I love to pray in front of Our Lord via the internet.

i<3franciscans

Hey Nudurgindurgin... I would suggest just being really causal. Like bring it up on your way out the door to school. He doesn't generally have a problem with you using public trans does he? Pray to the Holy Spirit for guidance. He will give you the right words to say if it is meant to work out. I am praying for you... I actually said a rosary for you last night. :) Couldn't fall asleep.

If you want to talk about your dad feel free to call later.

Katiebobatie94

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1338560341' post='2439300']
Hey Nudurgindurgin... I would suggest just being really causal. Like bring it up on your way out the door to school. He doesn't generally have a problem with you using public trans does he? Pray to the Holy Spirit for guidance. He will give you the right words to say if it is meant to work out. I am praying for you... I actually said a rosary for you last night. :) Couldn't fall asleep.

If you want to talk about your dad feel free to call later.
[/quote]

eeehhh not usually. i usually only take public trans towards the south side of the island (honestly the nicer part) and i would b taking it one stop north of where i live. like i could honestly probably walk there if i felt motivated enough. but idk

Okay, I still wouldn't build things up too much in advance. You're not announcing your impending entrance, you're discussing after-school activities! And this isn't 24-hour adoration where you're wanting to take the 3 am shift (when he would reasonably expect you to be tucked safe in bed), it's the middle of the afternoon.

Start with (1) "Hey, I want to do this. I'd get there on the bus, it's one stop away from home. Is that okay with you?"

If the answer is "sure, no problem!" then great. End of problem.

If not, (2) then start problemsolving. What are the objections? How can you satisfy them? If the concern is the bus, and it's only one stop from home (I'm not sure how distant the stops are on this bus line) then could you walk? Or bike?

I don't want to say "don't pray" prayer is always a good thing, but don't treat this as a "coming out that I want to enter the convent" sort of conversation because that's just making things harder than they are.

Katiebobatie94

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1338817032' post='2440544'] Would he let you walk? I think that you should definitely try to get there :) [/quote]

idts