An Old School Catholic Message Board

Live-in Duration

savvy

I have to plan for a live-in with a community. What would be the ideal length for a stay? Does anybody know.

AveMariaPurissima

I would say that it depends on several things: the particular community and what their preference/opinion is, your schedule (i.e., how much time can you spare?), your level of interest in that particular community, how far you are in your discernment.
My first live-in was about three days; my other two were one week each. The first visit was a wonderful experience, but it felt like kind of a whirlwind. The week-long stays allowed me to get a better idea of what day to day life is like there.

[quote]Forever. rotfl[/quote]

LOL! If only God would send me a neon sign that says, "forever" with a particular community :)

[quote]I would say that it depends on several things: the particular community and what their preference/opinion is, your schedule (i.e., how much time can you spare?), your level of interest in that particular community, how far you are in your discernment.
My first live-in was about three days; my other two were one week each. The first visit was a wonderful experience, but it felt like kind of a whirlwind. The week-long stays allowed me to get a better idea of what day to day life is like there. [/quote]

I have been for a four day stay. The prioress invited me to come back for a month or more. She said up to three months would be good. It's in a different province, so I would most likely be able to stay for a month or so. I am also planning on taking French language classes while I am there. The program is a month for each level and I have to start with level 1.

I have some savings, that could do for a few months, but not sure if, I would be able to handle the live-in with classes and a job at the same time.

Joan Marie Wandel

[quote name='savvy' timestamp='1338662244' post='2439975']
I have to plan for a live-in with a community. What would be the ideal length for a stay? Does anybody know.
[/quote] what community?

Have you checked out the Livingston Manor Monastic Sisters? I think they might be similar, if not the same order.

maximillion

Fraternites de Jerusalem, one of my fav communities. If they had been around when I was discerning I might have been tempted to enter with them in France.
I have all their CD's.

Go for as long as you can and they are happy with!

MarieClaire

I know a girl who did a live-in for 9 months - I know you probably will not have the time to do the same savvy,
but after this time she was safe to be called to this community :hehe2:

[quote]Have you checked out the Livingston Manor Monastic Sisters? I think they might be similar, if not the same order. [/quote]

They are not the same order. There are similarities in the liturgy which is a mix of both Eastern chanting and Western rite.

This community is not strictly cloistered. They are monastics in the heart of the city. So they have part-time jobs, to support themselves. They evangelize through their liturgy which is open to the city, and just by being there.

They are located in downtown Montreal, so it's quite an interesting mix, of the ancient with the modern.

They came to Montreal in 2004 from France. The church where they are is a 124 years old and was the first church shrine built to the Blessed Sacrament in North America.

[quote]Fraternites de Jerusalem, one of my fav communities. If they had been around when I was discerning I might have been tempted to enter with them in France.
I have all their CD's.

Go for as long as you can and they are happy with! [/quote]

Yes, I agree, they are beautiful. I did not understand the French liturgy, but was just filled with so much peace. There was this real presence of God.

[quote]I know a girl who did a live-in for 9 months - I know you probably will not have the time to do the same savvy,
but after this time she was safe to be called to this community :hehe2: [/quote]

Let's see if I survive a month first. :) Small baby steps.

Edited by savvy

[quote name='savvy' timestamp='1338672321' post='2440035']
Monastic community of Jerusalem in Montreal.
[/quote]

I'd say 2-3 weeks is the absolute minimum. My first week staying at a monastery, I experienced the most intensive spiritual warfare of my life, and thankfully, I knew enough about it to recognize it, and so I continued to pray and hope that there would come a moment in which I could discern with a clearer mind and heart. And that time came. I stayed 3.5 weeks, and that's about how long it took for me to integrate myself fully into the community, into the routine, into the way of life. (It differs per person, of course, but still.)

[quote name='savvy' timestamp='1338734643' post='2440242']
They are not the same order. There are similarities in the liturgy which is a mix of both Eastern chanting and Western rite.

This community is not strictly cloistered. They are monastics in the heart of the city. So they have part-time jobs, to support themselves. They evangelize through their liturgy which is open to the city, and just by being there.

They are located in downtown Montreal, so it's quite an interesting mix, of the ancient with the modern.

They came to Montreal in 2004 from France. The church where they are is a 124 years old and was the first church shrine built to the Blessed Sacrament in North America.
[/quote]

Well they sound wonderful! How many times do they allow family visits, since they are not strictly enclosed?

[quote]I'd say 2-3 weeks is the absolute minimum. My first week staying at a monastery, I experienced the most intensive spiritual warfare of my life, and thankfully, I knew enough about it to recognize it, and so I continued to pray and hope that there would come a moment in which I could discern with a clearer mind and heart. And that time came. I stayed 3.5 weeks, and that's about how long it took for me to integrate myself fully into the community, into the routine, into the way of life. (It differs per person, of course, but still.) [/quote]

I am looking into two months at the most. The least would be a month. The sisters are going away in July, so I will have to wait until September.