An Old School Catholic Message Board

C D F Publishes Notification On Book €˜just Love’

cappie

The Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith has published the following notification regarding the book Just Love. A Framework for Christian Sexual Ethics by Sister Margaret A. Farley, R.S.M.

Read Full judgement here

[url="http://www.radiovaticana.org/EN1/Articolo.asp?c=593578"]http://www.radiovaticana.org/EN1/Articolo.asp?c=593578[/url]

With this Notification, the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith expresses profound regret that a member of an Institute of Consecrated Life, Sr. Margaret A. Farley, R.S.M., affirms positions that are in direct contradiction with Catholic teaching in the field of sexual morality. The Congregation warns the faithful that her book Just Love. A Framework for Christian Sexual Ethics is not in conformity with the teaching of the Church. Consequently it cannot be used as a valid expression of Catholic teaching, either in counseling and formation, or in ecumenical and interreligious dialogue. Furthermore the Congregation wishes to encourage theologians to pursue the task of studying and teaching moral theology in full concord with the principles of Catholic doctrine.

The Sovereign Pontiff Benedict XVI, in the Audience granted to the undersigned Cardinal Prefect on March 16, 2012, approved the present Notification, adopted in the Ordinary Session of this Congregation on March 14, 2012, and ordered its publication.
Rome, from the Offices of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, March 30, 2012.

William Cardinal Levada
Prefect
+ Luis F. Ladaria, S.I.
Titular Archbishop of Thibica
Secretary

PhuturePriest

I've never heard of Sister Margaret, but it is sad that the first time I do it is about something as unfortunate as this. Thank you for spreading the word around.

cmotherofpirl

And of course the expected response - Sister is just wonderful. It doesn't mention Sister is teaching outside and against Catholic teaching, and you can be sure this book WILL be used in class.

[b][url="http://www.sistersofmercy.org/images/stories/PressResources/2012/mfpressrelease.pdf"]Read a press release about a Notification from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith regarding [i]Just Love: A Framework for Christian Sexual Ethics[/i] by Sister Margaret Farley, RSM.[/url][/b]
June 4, 2012 - Sister Margaret Farley, RSM, is a highly respected and valued member of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas.
I know that I speak for our membership in expressing our profound regret that a Notification has been issued by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith regarding her book, [i]Just Love: A Framework for Christian Sexual Ethics[/i].
Sister Margaret's reputation as scholar, ethicist, educator and spiritual guide has enlivened the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas and enriched the entire Church. She is [url="http://www.sistersofmercy.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3765&Itemid=180#"]a Christian[/url] ethicist, an emerita professor at Yale University, and a prominent teacher invited to speak nationally and internationally.
Sister Margaret has given witness to the highest quality of academic work and compassionate presence. She assiduously attempts to present the Catholic tradition as formative of her own rich experience while recognizing the ecumenical audience she often engages. While being faithful to her own faith tradition and commitments, her sensitivity to the varied circumstances, realities and needs of her students is the context she consistently honors. Sister Margaret is an extraordinary teacher and pastoral minister who is deeply committed to the Gospel and the following of Jesus Christ. For more than 50 years, Margaret has given her life in exceptional [url="http://www.sistersofmercy.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3765&Itemid=180#"]scholarship[/url] and remarkable pastoral service to those who are most in need.
The [url="http://www.sistersofmercy.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3765&Itemid=180#"]process[/url] initiated by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith has been lengthy, arduous and extremely difficult. I am deeply saddened that Sister Margaret has had to engage in this process for more than three years and that the Congregation has rendered this Notification concerning the significant pastoral and ethical thinking that are represented in her book,[i] Just Love[/i].
[i]Patricia McDermott, RSM
President, Sisters of Mercy of the Americas[/i]

PhuturePriest

I'm not sure what her teaching at Yale has to do with anything. You can teach at Yale and still say something heretical in your book.

Basilisa Marie

Teaching at Yale means she's the Big Leagues when it comes to scholarship, and isn't some random person spouting off whatever she feels like.

Does anyone know exactly WHY her book is bad?

Edit: or I could actually just read the article. That works too. :P

Edit again: WOW. How exactly was anyone surprised about the CDF's judgment?

Edited by Basilisa Marie

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' timestamp='1338812627' post='2440516']
And of course the expected response - Sister is just wonderful. It doesn't mention Sister is teaching outside and against Catholic teaching, and you can be sure this book WILL be used in class.

[b][url="http://www.sistersofmercy.org/images/stories/PressResources/2012/mfpressrelease.pdf"]Read a press release about a Notification from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith regarding [i]Just Love: A Framework for Christian Sexual Ethics[/i] by Sister Margaret Farley, RSM.[/url][/b]
June 4, 2012 - Sister Margaret Farley, RSM, is a highly respected and valued member of the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas.
I know that I speak for our membership in expressing our profound regret that a Notification has been issued by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith regarding her book, [i]Just Love: A Framework for Christian Sexual Ethics[/i].
Sister Margaret's reputation as scholar, ethicist, educator and spiritual guide has enlivened the Sisters of Mercy of the Americas and enriched the entire Church. She is [url="http://www.sistersofmercy.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3765&Itemid=180#"]a Christian[/url] ethicist, an emerita professor at Yale University, and a prominent teacher invited to speak nationally and internationally.
Sister Margaret has given witness to the highest quality of academic work and compassionate presence. She assiduously attempts to present the Catholic tradition as formative of her own rich experience while recognizing the ecumenical audience she often engages. While being faithful to her own faith tradition and commitments, her sensitivity to the varied circumstances, realities and needs of her students is the context she consistently honors. Sister Margaret is an extraordinary teacher and pastoral minister who is deeply committed to the Gospel and the following of Jesus Christ. For more than 50 years, Margaret has given her life in exceptional [url="http://www.sistersofmercy.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3765&Itemid=180#"]scholarship[/url] and remarkable pastoral service to those who are most in need.
The [url="http://www.sistersofmercy.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3765&Itemid=180#"]process[/url] initiated by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith has been lengthy, arduous and extremely difficult. I am deeply saddened that Sister Margaret has had to engage in this process for more than three years and that the Congregation has rendered this Notification concerning the significant pastoral and ethical thinking that are represented in her book,[i] Just Love[/i].
[i]Patricia McDermott, RSM
President, Sisters of Mercy of the Americas[/i]
[/quote]

And people wonder why SOM gets a bad rap. Yes, they do good works of charity, but I have first hand experience of their theology, and it was alarming.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1338814311' post='2440528']
Teaching at Yale means she's the Big Leagues when it comes to scholarship, and isn't some random person spouting off whatever she feels like.

Does anyone know exactly WHY her book is bad?

Edit: or I could actually just read the article. That works too. :P

Edit again: WOW. How exactly was anyone surprised about the CDF's judgment?
[/quote]

Since when do professors not spout around whatever they feel like? That's happening all over the country in classes as we speak. There are really good ones. Benedictine College in Atchison, Kansas, has really good orthodox professors. But unfortunately in even some Catholic colleges there are some professors that teach their own theology rather than the Church's.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1338835740' post='2440696']
Since when do professors not spout around whatever they feel like? That's happening all over the country in classes as we speak. There are really good ones. Benedictine College in Atchison, Kansas, has really good orthodox professors. But unfortunately in even some Catholic colleges there are some professors that teach their own theology rather than the Church's.
[/quote]

What are you talking about?

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1338838971' post='2440728']
What are you talking about?
[/quote]

"Teaching at Yale means she's the Big Leagues when it comes to scholarship, and isn't some random person spouting off whatever she feels like."

That's what I'm talking about.

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1338839282' post='2440731']
"Teaching at Yale means she's the Big Leagues when it comes to scholarship, and isn't some random person spouting off whatever she feels like."

That's what I'm talking about.
[/quote]

I am confident it was said tongue-in-cheek.

either way, I see don't see the relevancy to her post.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1338840062' post='2440739']
I am confident it was said tongue-in-cheek.

either way, I see don't see the relevancy to her post.
[/quote]

... Okay, so I'm back from Googling what "tongue-in-cheek" means. You people seriously need to stop using weird terms. I'm from rural Western Kansas. We're simple folk. :farmer:

I was saying there were professors spouting around whatever they liked, and then I was assuring her I didn't hate professors and that there were good ones... *Scrolls up* ... and then I finished up saying that there were unfortunately bad professors... Yep, that's just about it.

Edited by FuturePriest387

IcePrincessKRS

Tongue in cheek is a very common phrase. I bet even other rural western Kansans have heard it before. :|

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1338840578' post='2440750']

... Okay, so I'm back from Googling what "tongue-in-cheek" means. You people seriously need to stop using weird terms. I'm from rural Western Kansas. We're simple folk. :farmer:

I was saying there were professors spouting around whatever they liked, and then I was assuring her I didn't hate professors and that there were good ones... *Scrolls up* ... and then I finished up saying that there were unfortunately bad professors... Yep, that's just about it.
[/quote]I'm pretty sure I've heard my mother use it before. But then again, she's from [i]east[/i] Kansas.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='qfnol31' timestamp='1338842896' post='2440777']
I'm pretty sure I've heard my mother use it before. But then again, she's from [i]east[/i] Kansas.
[/quote]

You would be surprised at the cultural differences of Western Kansas and Eastern Kansas. I'm not even kidding. Eastern Kansas is full of larger towns and it's more urban, whereas Western Kansas has much smaller towns and has much more farm country.