Jump to content
Join our Facebook Group ×
An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1338853234' post='2440879']
Because that can be dangerous and I'm not going to take chances with secular teachers when it comes to matters of Religious study and philosophy. I believe it was the great Father Benedict Groeschel who said "If you see a course on theology in your secular college, don't go to it!"
[/quote]

It's been a while but was this the same Benedict Groschel who went to Columbia? I mean, if you can;t get through undergrad without loosing your faith then you probably shouldn't be a Priest. Just something to consider.

Edited by Hasan
Posted (edited)

I didn't apply to Harvard but I have no doubt that I wouldn't have gotten in. Is everybody at Harvard smarter than I am? Probably not. Am I smarter than everybody who never went to college? Absolutely not. But everybody there at least had a more impressive resume. Is that fair? Probably not. A lot of them had socio-economic factors in their favor (just like I did for a lot of the kids at my High School who never graduated) but, fair or not, they were more competitive students. That's going to help them a lot.

Edited by Hasan
PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1338853323' post='2440882']
It's been a while but was this the same Benedict Groschel who went to Columbia? I mean, if you can;t get through undergrad without loosing your faith then you probably shouldn't be a Priest. Just something to consider.
[/quote]

I don't know. He is pretty old and hasn't been able to move around very well after he was hit by a car some years ago, so if this was recent it probably wasn't him. He is one of the men that founded the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, if that helps.

I'm not saying it will make me lose my faith. It may give me a distorted view, though, and I would rather avoid that.

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1338853694' post='2440890']
I don't know. He is pretty old and hasn't been able to move around very well after he was hit by a car some years ago, so if this was recent it probably wasn't him. He is one of the men that founded the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, if that helps.

I'm not saying it will make me lose my faith. It may give me a distorted view, though, and I would rather avoid that.
[/quote]

I know who he is and I read his biography years ago when I was interested in joining the order. And it looks like my recollection was right (ish)

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Groeschel"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Groeschel[/url]

He went to a secular school for undergrad and then Columbia for his Phd

Looks like he has a 'fine for me but not for thee' attitude.

PhuturePriest
Posted (edited)

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1338853852' post='2440895']
I know who he is and I read his biography years ago when I was interested in joining the order. And it looks like my recollection was right (ish)

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Groeschel"]http://en.wikipedia....edict_Groeschel[/url]

He went to a secular school for undergrad and then Columbia for his Phd

Looks like he has a 'fine for me but not for thee' attitude.
[/quote]

He studied psychology. Completely different from philosophy and theology.

I would like to thank you, though. I'm getting near my 1500 post mark.

Edited by FuturePriest387
Basilisa Marie
Posted (edited)

If you find a secular school that has a good campus ministry or Newman Center, you won't lose your faith. Even if you study philosophy. Or, ya know, you could study history or english. Half my peers in my theology masters program have history and/or english undergrad degrees.

Edit: Come to think of it, out of the dozen of us I'm actually the only one in my year who did theology for undergrad.

Edited by Basilisa Marie
Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1338854081' post='2440901']
He studied psychology. Completely different from philosophy and theology.

I would like to thank you, though. I'm getting near my 1500 post mark.
[/quote]

Not really. I mean they were obviously different fields but, particularly given the state of the field at the time, he would have studied it from an adamantly functionalist and materialistic standpoint, which is deeply contrary to the Catholic faith.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1338854246' post='2440906']
Not really. I mean they were obviously different fields but, particularly given the state of the field at the time, he would have studied it from an adamantly functionalist and materialistic standpoint, which is deeply contrary to the Catholic faith.
[/quote]

:unsure: ... Do what now? He went to study psychology and he is now teaching pastoral psychology at a Seminary. I have no clue if what you just said was sarcastic or if you were serious.

Posted

I have a friend who just graduated from Harvard. She's about 100k+ in debt and has one degree. I'm about 10k in debt and two years into my third and final degree.

Posted

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1338854354' post='2440909']
:unsure: ... Do what now? He went to study psychology and he is now teaching pastoral psychology at a Seminary. I have no clue if what you just said was sarcastic or if you were serious.
[/quote]

No, seriously. Cognitive science has been dogmatically materialistic and functionalist for some time now. If he studied psychology from a secular school he would have been learning his subject from a position just as dogmatically opposed to a central element of Catholic teaching as a philosophy or religious studies student as the same secular school.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1338854681' post='2440914']
No, seriously. Cognitive science has been dogmatically materialistic and functionalist for some time now. If he studied psychology from a secular school he would have been learning his subject from a position just as dogmatically opposed to a central element of Catholic teaching as a philosophy or religious studies student as the same secular school.
[/quote]

I have doubts he would ever go to a bad school. If he went to one it is because it was good. Think: Why Columbia? Isn't there closer universities like in, let's say, America, where he lives?

Posted (edited)

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1338854829' post='2440920']
I have doubts he would ever go to a bad school. If he went to one it is because it was good. Think: [b]Why Columbia[/b]? Isn't there closer universities like in,[b] let's say, America, where he lives[/b]?
[/quote]

Columbia University is in New York. Are you thinking of the nation of Colombia?

Edit: Mis-spelled "thinking"

Edited by BG45
Posted (edited)

Just to be clear. I have no problem with Catholic schools. I just find it irksome when individuals who themselves when to secular schools use their position to scare Catholic kids into spending huge sums of money to go to a Catholic school. If that's what you want to do then that's great, but you shouldn do it because you like the school and can afford it, not because of fear.

Edited by Hasan
Posted

Some thoughts:

It really bothers me how competitive the world is. I'm constantly being subtly encouraged to make sure I'm better than the next guy/gal. It was tiring, until I stopped caring. I was always being told and pushed to be better than everyone else, and to take whatever edge I could get and utilize my strengths to every conceivable advantage. For example, your grades are good but do some charity work to put it on your resume because, people love a humanitarian! And it'll make you feel good too. I didn't like that. I had to keep checking my motives, and they weren't always so altruistic (which is supposed to be the point of humanitarianism right?)

I like this article. Made me feel better about myself not being one of the elites and all http://theamericanscholar.org/the-disadvantages-of-an-elite-education/

AND I don't really know much about these debates esp when we get into the economic viability of the college system.

But yeah, the systems are always evolving and changing and there's enough variables to measure your worth it makes my head spin. I'm a type B personality. It's not my bag.

Posted

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1338852774' post='2440864']
Pretty beaver dam meaningful if you're trying to get a job.

I personally have no doubt that someone with a degree from Harvard has a significant advantage over me, all other things being equal, in getting a job, grant, whatever. Obviously all other factors are not equal and my raw sexual charisma would win the day, but for somebody with an equivalent degree this would be a major obstacle.
[/quote]

Yes. Having a law degree from Harvard Law will serve you well. It is the with honors that ain't that special. Also, graduating from Harvard Law gets you into an excellent network.

Posted

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1338853107' post='2440875']
Possible if we permit them to restrict entry into the market.
[/quote]

You mean if we allow the badges to have worth? If so, yes, I agree with that.

Posted

[color=#222222]After 35 years of working and providing a decent living for my family without an advanced education, I've learned that education will only give you knowledge, not wisdom. Wisdom doesn't bestow you with knowledge, either. [/color]

[color=#222222]It's a shame that so many people impoverish themselves for knowledge hoping it will provide them a living, and never gain enough wisdom to utilize it or appreciate it. Knowledge is only a tool and useless unless you use it, either for your own satisfaction, and/or to earn a living. I've seen many college educated people who sacrificed a lot for useless knowledge that does neither, and they never learned how to work to provide for themselves and their family. I do recognize the value of knowledge and helped my two kids earn college degrees in fields they were attracted to and 'think and hope' may help them provide for themselves. But life has a way of providing opportunities and challenges we never anticipate. I'm glad they haven't mortgaged their futures to the extent that they'll regret their sacrifices for knowledge for decades, if they don't use all of what they learned.[/color]

Winchester
Posted

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1338857958' post='2440949']
You mean if we allow the badges to have worth? If so, yes, I agree with that.
[/quote]
No, I'm not supporting that particular superstition.

Posted

[quote name='Winchester' timestamp='1338862788' post='2441037']
No, I'm not supporting that particular superstition.
[/quote]

Me not knowing what you about talk.

PhuturePriest
Posted

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1338855009' post='2440922']
Columbia University is in New York. Are you thinking of the nation of Colombia?

Edit: Mis-spelled "thinking"
[/quote]

Who names a university after a country? Are we really that short on names?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...