An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sisters Of Life Promotion Video

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1339075268' post='2442142']
Just to clarify - they aren't apostolic. According to their website, they are contemplative/active. I know all you meant was that they weren't cloistered but there is a difference. :)
[/quote]

That's what I meant. Religious life is so "wordy" sometimes I can't keep up! :hehe2:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='AveMariaPurissima' timestamp='1339115477' post='2442345']
That video was so beautiful!!! :) Thanks for posting it!
[/quote]

You're welcome. Glad you liked it! :)

MarieClaire

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1338952186' post='2441627']
I love this video. We need some of these sisters over here
[/quote]

I loved it, too. What a blessed and beautiful community.
These sisters are desperatly needed in our society!
I wish, there would be Sisters of Life across the pond.

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='MarieClaire' timestamp='1339141981' post='2442456']
I loved it, too. What a blessed and beautiful community.
These sisters are desperatly needed in our society!
I wish, there would be Sisters of Life across the pond.
[/quote]

Absolutely!

mantellata

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1339102652' post='2442272']
I could never have a Friday off for prayer and penance (unless you count seventh graders as penance, which I imagine you could! [/quote]

As a fellow teacher - yes I could! Most active-contemplative congregations wouldn't be able to take a day like this every week. Since the Sisters of Life work in rescuing unborn babes and supporting mothers of high risk pregnancies their apostolate allows them to have more flexibility -- which is needed -- crisis do not come at convenient times and so if a young woman calls in the middle of dinner or during prayer - up they go to save a life -- and then they make up prayers (or finish dinner) after. An example of two more similar congregations would be the Nashville Dominicans and the Dominican Sisters of Mary -- both are described as "active-contemplative" but both teach. Since it is a professional position (as you mentioned) there is no ability to just "take a day off" unless you are calling in sick or taking a personal day.

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1339102652' post='2442272'] I've never heard any sister say that the difference in these terms is relative to a community being a member of the CMSWR or the LCWR and I do not believe that is really relevant. In my mind they are all terms; contemplative, semi-contemplative, active/contemplative, apostolic, cloistered...... All are sisters, they just live in different ways. Then you get into; franciscan, carmelite, benedictine, dominican.....[/quote]

I agree. :) I wasn't trying to "frame it" but because we [u]are[/u] talking terms here I just wanted to point out that (as a former member of a community that was part of the CMSWR) many congregations who have similar apostolates and time frames who would be described (or were described) traditionally as apostolic congregations are now using the term active-contemplative because it helps them to emphasize that prayer takes pride of place (not that you don't find it important or other apostolic congregations -- not that you or other congregations [u]are[/u] workaholics, but it is a temptation to an active Sister :) ) For the record - there [u]are[/u] CMSWR congregations who do use the term apostolic or active rather than active-contemplative -- and to look at their horarium, you wouldn't see much difference! I didn't mean it as a jab - but I didn't want to dissuade those who feel called to an active apostolate to discount communities who are described as "active-contemplative". It's a non canonical descriptive term which seems to me to be even less specific (in use) than Dominican, Franciscan, Benedictine etc.. :)

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1339102652' post='2442272'] I think you thought my comment was made as a jab at the sisters or as a negative comment towards them.[/quote]

I didn't. :) My comment was only to aid in clarification of terms for discernment purposes.

[quote name='Sister Marie' timestamp='1339102652' post='2442272'] There are so many and its good to use the right terminology to describe both so that we don't start confusing the way different types of communities should live.
[/quote]

Right. Hence my post. Thanks again Sr. Marie!! :bounce:

Edited by mantellata