An Old School Catholic Message Board

W. Springfield Dominicans - Two Postulants

Luigi

www.vocationws.com/community/ - You'll have to copy and paste this link to make it work. Sorry.

The West Springfield Dominican monastery has two postulants. Who knew?

Yay for more Dominicans!

Their website is very hard to navigate -- just when you think you are going to an article that might describe the two and bring up a few more pictures you are thrown back to the front page!

OnlySunshine

I love their chapel. I think the idea of having the Blessed Sacrament exposed on such a grand scale would be very interesting to see! I wouldn't mind visiting this community, either, though I don't feel called to cloistered life. :)

OnlySunshine

I also love the way they describe the habit on their website:

[quote]Because our lives are consecrated to the Lord, it is important that we wear an outward sign of this. “He has placed a seal upon my countenance that I may admit no lover but him,” is a short antiphon we sing during a Sister’s solemn profession. We live a decidedly feminine vocation, imaging the Church as “Bride of the Lamb”. We take on, then, the concerns of our Spouse, especially through our intercessory prayer. Who do we pray for? Just about everyone! For our Holy Father and our Bishop and all priests. For pro-life legislation and for families in distress. For peace in the world and for the safety of our troops overseas. For those who, with great faith, ask for our prayers and for those who don’t even know God. For the living and the dead. As Pope John Paul II wrote in his Apostolic Letter, Mulieris Dignitatem, “Spousal love—with its maternal potential hidden in the heart of the woman as a virginal bride—when joined to Christ, the Redeemer of each and every person, is also predisposed to being open to each and every person” (#21). As I have discovered, it’s an ecclesial life, a call to “mother” the Church.[/quote]

Reminds me of Sr. Mary Catharine's article on the habit, here: http://www.patheos.com/Resources/Additional-Resources/Daily-Gift-and-Reminder-Habit-of-Witness.html

I'd actually found that website a number of months back.... and it had the SAME problems with the internal links.

I would have thought they would have found that and had it fixed... very irritating for people trying to get info.

Either have more pages or don't, but don't leave it like that (sorry for the mini-rant, but it FRIES me when ANY website does this....)

Chiara Francesco

[quote name='Luigi' timestamp='1339302464' post='2443091']
www.vocationws.com/community/ - You'll have to copy and paste this link to make it work. Sorry.

The West Springfield Dominican monastery has two postulants. Who knew?
[/quote]

Don't be surprised. This community went back to the full traditional Dominican habit, put their grilles back up in the parlor and went back to other traditions of their order about 2yrs or less ago and they have been swamped with inquiries, visits, etc. A friend had to wait awhile to go and visit them because of the booking issue.

By going back to their roots, God has blessed them.

There are a few sisters left in that modified habit - IF there are, I haven't checked recently. I supposed they won't be forced to change but it is same they don't because it lacks unity. Before she wrote this community, that friend asked me if I thought those modified habited sisters were externs.

Edited by Chiara Francesco

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1339437488' post='2443523']
I'd actually found that website a number of months back.... and it had the SAME problems with the internal links.

I would have thought they would have found that and had it fixed... very irritating for people trying to get info.

Either have more pages or don't, but don't leave it like that (sorry for the mini-rant, but it FRIES me when ANY website does this....)
[/quote]

Most monastery websites aren't updated very often except for maybe the blog section. I don't know a lot about constructing websites but I'd guess it can be expensive.

It can be expensive but as a webdesigner ..... the above problem is easily enough solved and if I did it for a client it would definately [u]not[/u] be a pricey fix.