An Old School Catholic Message Board

Franciscan Sisters Minor-->poor Clares

Pax_et bonum

Pax_et bonum

The Franciscan Sisters Minor are getting ready to become Poor Clares this August! They've got a new habit, a new grille, and new vocations!

[url="http://www.franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/News.html"]Mark Your Calendars!![/url]
Wednesday, August 8th, 2012
Open House

9:00 am
Holy Mass

10:00 am -5:00 pm
Open House and Fellowship with the Sisters
(Chance to see the Monastery)

5:00 pm
Holy Hour

6:00 pm
Solemn Vespers and the Blessing of the Monastery

Thursday, August 9th, 2012 at 10:00 am

Holy Mass of Enclosure with Bp. Kevin C. Rhoades

~And~

The Blessing of Mother Celeste Marie as Abbess

You can see photos [url="http://www.franciscanbrothersminor.com/FBM/2012/2012.html"]here[/url] especially under "The Grill Arrives" and "Sacred Heart Friary Open House."

I'm so excited to visit them this weekend!!! :nun2:

PhuturePriest

I actually knew about this quite a while ago. I was speaking with Brother Fidelis Maria and he told me they were switching buildings with the Sisters so they could become cloistered Poor Clares. Quite exciting, really.

Random curiosity: there were the women in the white shirts/black jumpers, and another young woman in a tunic. Do you know what stages of formation they are in?

Pax_et bonum

[quote name='FuturePriest387' timestamp='1339451311' post='2443628']
I actually knew about this quite a while ago. I was speaking with Brother Fidelis Maria and he told me they were switching buildings with the Sisters so they could become cloistered Poor Clares. Quite exciting, really.
[/quote]
Congratulations :| This was my first time seeing their new habits and the grill, though--I love that it's blue!

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1339453381' post='2443635']
Random curiosity: there were the women in the white shirts/black jumpers, and another young woman in a tunic. Do you know what stages of formation they are in?
[/quote]
I don't know. I was wondering that as well. Unless someone else knows, I can let you know after my visit this weekend.
I met one postulant back in October, before all this change, whom I didn't see in the pictures and she was wearing a tunic which leads me to believe that the three in jumpers are aspirants and the one in the tunic, a postulant. I could be wrong.

PhuturePriest

[quote name='Pax_et bonum' timestamp='1339454867' post='2443639']
Congratulations :| This was my first time seeing their new habits and the grill, though--I love that it's blue!
[/quote]

Why thank you. I take pride in knowing about women Communities and their goings on, particularly when I am very interested in the Franciscan Brothers Minor and I may get to know them quite well one day.

Strictlyinkblot

I AM SO JEALOUS!!! Okay, enough shouting. How fabulous to get to see all inside and then be at the mass of enclosure. Do they still have the Bishop ceremoniously lock them in?

Queen'sDaughter

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1339453381' post='2443635']
[/quote]

They are all postulants. There are a total of 5, and the two that wear the tunics have been postulants for about 8 months, and the 3 that wear the jumpers entered on May 13th. I think that they went with the simpler outfits because they use less material and are cheaper, which would be more fitting with their vow of poverty.

At least one of the older postulants has decided to not be received into the noviciate until after enclosure, as she wants to be sure that she is called to a cloistered life. So she will be a postulant for longer than is usual, though I am not sure what their "usual" is.

One of my friends is a postulant with this order. I went to see "For Greater Glory", and the postulants came to see it too! It is such a blessing to be able to run into them randomly, and I will enjoy that blessing until August.

I talked to them after the film, and they are, understandably, both very excited and very scared about becoming cloistered. They told me that it is not just a change of life, but a change of mindset as well. Right now they can go anywhere anytime some kind person will drive them, and on August 9th they will be in the same place forever! The enclosure Mass will be at 10:00 in the morning, and they told me they wished it were in the evening so that they could just go sleep and not think about the change.

But they are happy at the same time, and are looking forward to there new charism. It will such a blessing for the diocese to have our first cloistered order. We have something like 5 or 6 active orders, with two new ones coming in, that it is nice to get something different!

It seems to me to be quite unusual for a group of apostolic sisters to suddenly decide to become cloistered. Presumably those who joined the community initially felt a call to active service in the world. What prompted the change?

I was just thinking the same thing as beatitude. Where there any sisters that didn't feel they were called to contemplative life? What would happen if a sister discerned contemplative life was not her calling?

I'm not trying to criticise what they're doing, just curious since it seems like a very unusual thing to happen.

Queen'sDaughter

It is very unusual, but they are not making this decision quickly or lightly. They have been discerning as a community for some time, and the entire community had to agree to the change. The postulants who entered this past May entered knowing that they would be cloistered. The sisters in the most difficult position are the older posulants, who are still discerning their vocation, but entered before the decision was reached. It is entirely possible that some of the sisters may leave to continue an active life, and only time will tell.

I do not know how old the community is, but they were founded before the Franciscan Brothers Minor were. The Franciscan Brothers Minor were founded in 2009. Since both of these communities are dedicated to following the Rule as closely and literally as possible, the sisters have discerned that the closest way to follow the original rule of St. Clare is to become cloistered.

They will rely entirely on donations. These orders do not handle money AT ALL, which makes them fairly unusual. The Brothers will be the caretakers for the Sisters, and the Catholic community is responsible for the support of the brothers. And so far the community has been doing a very good job!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='Queen'sDaughter' timestamp='1339511352' post='2443887']
They are all postulants. There are a total of 5, and the two that wear the tunics have been postulants for about 8 months, and the 3 that wear the jumpers entered on May 13th. I think that they went with the simpler outfits because they use less material and are cheaper, which would be more fitting with their vow of poverty.

At least one of the older postulants has decided to not be received into the noviciate until after enclosure, as she wants to be sure that she is called to a cloistered life. So she will be a postulant for longer than is usual, though I am not sure what their "usual" is.

One of my friends is a postulant with this order. I went to see "For Greater Glory", and the postulants came to see it too! It is such a blessing to be able to run into them randomly, and I will enjoy that blessing until August.

I talked to them after the film, and they are, understandably, both very excited and very scared about becoming cloistered. They told me that it is not just a change of life, but a change of mindset as well. Right now they can go anywhere anytime some kind person will drive them, and on August 9th they will be in the same place forever! The enclosure Mass will be at 10:00 in the morning, and they told me they wished it were in the evening so that they could just go sleep and not think about the change.

But they are happy at the same time, and are looking forward to there new charism. It will such a blessing for the diocese to have our first cloistered order. We have something like 5 or 6 active orders, with two new ones coming in, that it is nice to get something different!
[/quote]

Wow, I didn't even think how it could affect the younger women in the order. I can't imagine how they must be feeling right now to have everything turned upside down. I hope they make it through the change alright.