An Old School Catholic Message Board

2012 Priest Report

Lisa

[url="http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=14351"]http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=14351[/url]

[font=Georgia,]
The typical member of the ordination class of 2012 is a 31-year cradle Catholic who prayed the Rosary and took part in Eucharistic adoration before entering seminary, according to a survey of 304 of the 487 men slated to be ordained to the priesthood in the United States this year. The survey was conducted by the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate.[/font][font=Georgia,]
Among the survey’s findings:[/font]
[list]
[*]the median age of ordinands is 31; the mean age, 35
[*]the typical diocesan ordinand lived in his diocese for 16 years before entering seminary, though 12% had lived in their diocese for less than a year
[*]71% of ordinands are white, 15% are Latino, 9% are Asian, and 3% are black
[*]6% are converts
[*]37% have a relative who was a priest or religious
[*]in 84% of cases, both parents were Catholic
[*]47% attended a Catholic elementary school, and 45% attended a Catholic college; 3% were home schooled
[*]6% have served in the US Armed Forces; 21% had a parent who spent his career in the military
[*]68% regularly prayed the Rosary, and 65% participated in Eucharistic adoration, before entering the seminary
[*]ordinands typically first began to consider the priesthood at 17
[*]68% were encouraged by a priest to consider a vocation; 41% were encouraged by their mother, and 31% by their father
[*]29% are foreign born, with the most typical foreign countries of birth being Vietnam (5% of all ordinands), Colombia (5%), Mexico (4%), Poland (3%), and the Philippines (2%); on average, foreign-born seminarians have lived in the United States for 12 years and arrived in the US at age 22
[*]28% have five or more siblings, 10% have four siblings, 17% have three siblings, 25% have two siblings, 16% have one sibling, and 4% have no siblings
[*]45% had earned their undergraduate degree before entering seminary; an additional 16% had earned a graduate degree
[*]53% took part in a parish youth group
[*]22% took part in a World Youth Day, and 11% took part in a Franciscan University of Steubenville summer conference
[*]75% had served as altar servers, and 57% as readers, before entering seminary
[/list]

bernadette d

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1339594596' post='2444253']
[url="http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=14351"]http://www.catholicc...m?storyid=14351[/url]

[font=Georgia,]The typical member of the ordination class of 2012 is a 31-year cradle Catholic who prayed the Rosary and took part in Eucharistic adoration before entering seminary, according to a survey of 304 of the 487 men slated to be ordained to the priesthood in the United States this year. The survey was conducted by the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate.[/font]
[font=Georgia,]Among the survey’s findings:[/font][list]
[*]the median age of ordinands is 31; the mean age, 35
[*]the typical diocesan ordinand lived in his diocese for 16 years before entering seminary, though 12% had lived in their diocese for less than a year
[*]71% of ordinands are white, 15% are Latino, 9% are Asian, and 3% are black
[*]6% are converts
[*]37% have a relative who was a priest or religious
[*]in 84% of cases, both parents were Catholic
[*]47% attended a Catholic elementary school, and 45% attended a Catholic college; 3% were home schooled
[*]6% have served in the US Armed Forces; 21% had a parent who spent his career in the military
[*]68% regularly prayed the Rosary, and 65% participated in Eucharistic adoration, before entering the seminary
[*]ordinands typically first began to consider the priesthood at 17
[*]68% were encouraged by a priest to consider a vocation; 41% were encouraged by their mother, and 31% by their father
[*]29% are foreign born, with the most typical foreign countries of birth being Vietnam (5% of all ordinands), Colombia (5%), Mexico (4%), Poland (3%), and the Philippines (2%); on average, foreign-born seminarians have lived in the United States for 12 years and arrived in the US at age 22
[*]28% have five or more siblings, 10% have four siblings, 17% have three siblings, 25% have two siblings, 16% have one sibling, and 4% have no siblings
[*]45% had earned their undergraduate degree before entering seminary; an additional 16% had earned a graduate degree
[*]53% took part in a parish youth group
[*]22% took part in a World Youth Day, and 11% took part in a Franciscan University of Steubenville summer conference
[*]75% had served as altar servers, and 57% as readers, before entering seminary
[/list]
[/quote]
This is so interesting, thank you for posting

Very razzle dazzle!

I wonder how those who didn't regularly participate in Adoration discerned into the seminary, however. :think: A 60-some percent rate seems rather low?

Edited by Safia

Safia: my question also. Adoration is definitely when I began discerning. Maybe some didn't go to adoration, but, like the survey says, a priest kept encouraging them to discern?

I'm impressed by how low the mean age is, though I am surprised by how small the percentage of converts is.

[quote name='Safia' timestamp='1339612492' post='2444337']
Very razzle dazzle!

I wonder how those who didn't regularly participate in Adoration discerned into the seminary, however. :think: A 60-some percent rate seems rather low?
[/quote]

Maybe they lived somewhere it wasn't offered. I only started attending Adoration when I started university because my previous parish didn't offer it.

Also, this year's ordination class entered 6 or more years ago (therefore likely discerning 7+ years ago). I'd say that there's been increase emphasis and availability of Eucharistic Adoration in that time period!

Deus te Amat

My diocese ordains six men to the priesthood this year. We normally have 1-2, so this is incredible!

Just wanted to share. :)

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1339613590' post='2444341']
I'm impressed by how low the mean age is, though I am surprised by how small the percentage of converts is.

Maybe they lived somewhere it wasn't offered. I only started attending Adoration when I started university because my previous parish didn't offer it.
[/quote]

My situation as well-although my parish had it, I just did not know about it and, honestly, before college I just was not Catholic/religious enough to attend adoration even if I had known about it. It makes me so sad to think about all those who don't value Jesus' Eucharistic Presence, especially in parishes where adoration/exposition isn't available. I am glad your university, like mine, offers adoration for students. :)

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1339617592' post='2444360']
Also, this year's ordination class entered 6 or more years ago (therefore likely discerning 7+ years ago). I'd say that there's been increase emphasis and availability of Eucharistic Adoration in that time period!
[/quote]

very true!

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1339617661' post='2444361']
My diocese ordains six men to the priesthood this year. We normally have 1-2, so this is incredible!

Just wanted to share. :)
[/quote]

Woah! What diocese, if you dn't mind me asking. That IS incredible! If my diocese has one vocation, everyone is awed/amazed, so 6 would just blow their mind!!!

I heard that the Archdiocese of New York only ordained one man this year! We must redouble our prayers.

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1339628695' post='2444404']
I heard that the Archdiocese of New York only ordained one man this year! We must redouble our prayers.
[/quote]

Oh my! You are right- we must pray!

Strictlyinkblot

There was one man ordained in Dublin this year, 2-3weeks ago. At least things are generally improving

[quote name='Maggie' timestamp='1339628695' post='2444404']
[/quote]

You heard right. [url="http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/13/nyregion/patric-darcy-is-ny-archdioceses-only-new-priest.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all"]http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/13/nyregion/patric-darcy-is-ny-archdioceses-only-new-priest.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all[/url]

LinaSt.Cecilia2772

My diocese ordained 4 men this past weekend, it was pretty amazing to see. I love ordination masses, I've been to one at Notre Dame at the Basilica of the Sacred Heart. One of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.

We've got 9 students for the priesthood in my diocese at the moment. We had one ordination last year and two the year before that. Southern England isn't very Catholic so I suppose it's not too bad.