An Old School Catholic Message Board

Look Locally First

Gemma

"Don't build castles in Spain when you have to live in France." St. Francis de Sales

The internet puts monasteries in Russia at our fingertips, but charity begins at home. I think I would want to know what is available locally so that I'm not aiming too far afield.

My challenge to you today is to be able to recite a list of the religious communities in your local diocese, and know which ones are indigenous.

Posting such lists here would be helpful to others as well.

Blessings,
Gemma

I found St. Cecilia's by looking on my diocesan website.

Quarr Abbey, the of course St. Cecilia's Abbey. :hehe2: And there are some other female Benedictines in East Hendred, or at least they were there, they were moving last I heard but I don't know if they've found a place yet. I think there's another male Benedictine community but I can't remember where. We've got some Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood and De Sales Brothers in various places. I think there are Sisters of Mercy spread around, but I can't remember where. I live in a fairly large diocese, it covers parts of several counties as well as the Channel Islands.

Maximilianus

I've wondered before why someone would go to a foreign land or across the country when they could serve close to home, Then I look at the list of my diocese. I see a lot of men building castles in Spain unless something happens.

It's always good to see whose close by though. Especially if you are in a diocese that doesn't (for lack of a better word) "advertise" institutes and communities.

Edited by Maximilianus

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1340450516' post='2447850']
I found St. Cecilia's by looking on my diocesan website.

Quarr Abbey, the of course St. Cecilia's Abbey. :hehe2: And there are some other female Benedictines in East Hendred, or at least they were there, they were moving last I heard but I don't know if they've found a place yet. I think there's another male Benedictine community but I can't remember where. We've got some Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood and De Sales Brothers in various places. I think there are Sisters of Mercy spread around, but I can't remember where. I live in a fairly large diocese, it covers parts of several counties as well as the Channel Islands.
[/quote]

These nuns have moved. They discuss it in their [url="http://www.benedictinenuns.org.uk/"]blog[/url].

AveMariaPurissima

Off the top of my head, for women's communities in my archdiocese:
-Felicians
-Sisters of the Holy Cross
-At least about three Dominican monasteries/convents
-Missionaries of Charity

For the men...let's see:
-Capuchins
-SOLTs
-Companions of the Cross
-Canons Regular of the Holy Cross

TheresaThoma

Well off the top of my head there are the Benedictines up north in Virgina Dale, the Little Sisters of the Poor, Religious Sisters of Mercy of Alma who teach at the seminary, and some Nashies. For men I know the Dominican Novitiate is here. I think there is one other community but I am not certain.

Chiara Francesco

For many, a lot of US orders don't accept past a certain age so they have to look overseas or Canada. As for my diocese, there aren't any really that aren't secularized like crazy, other that a a few sisters from either Nashville Dominicans or Ann Arbor. There are no cloistered orders in my diocese and I am cloistered. That is another reason others travel away from home if the order they are called is not in their diocese and one is called to a certain community within an order and that community may not be near you - i.e. if I am to be a PCC, there are no PCC communities in my state and, if due to age, no US PCC community would accept me, I'd have to go overseas.

Oh, let's see -- with the Archdiocese of NY, I could never list them all. And I laugh now, but I did begin my research with a Google search, and Wiki proved helpful in the early stages: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_orders_in_the_Roman_Catholic_Archdiocese_of_New_York. :proud:

[quote name='Chiara Francesco' timestamp='1340479046' post='2447998']
For many, a lot of US orders don't accept past a certain age so they have to look overseas or Canada. As for my diocese, there aren't any really that aren't secularized like crazy, other that a a few sisters from either Nashville Dominicans or Ann Arbor. There are no cloistered orders in my diocese and I am cloistered. That is another reason others travel away from home if the order they are called is not in their diocese and one is called to a certain community within an order and that community may not be near you - i.e. if I am to be a PCC, there are no PCC communities in my state and, if due to age, no US PCC community would accept me, I'd have to go overseas.
[/quote]

The Capuchins and PCPAs will take older vocations.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='Safia' timestamp='1340489208' post='2448021']
Oh, let's see -- with the Archdiocese of NY, I could never list them all. And I laugh now, but I did begin my research with a Google search, and Wiki proved helpful in the early stages: [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_orders_in_the_Roman_Catholic_Archdiocese_of_New_York."]http://en.wikipedia....se_of_New_York.[/url] :proud:
[/quote]

The Archdiocese of New York produced their own volume similar to McCarthy. I have some copies from the pages, but I'm having a hard time remembering the name. Would be amesome if the archdiocese would scan it and put it online.

Blessings,
Gemma

Guess I should have put in those in my state:

Sisters of Mercy
Poor Servants of the Mother of God
Sisters of Mary, Help of the Clergy
Sisters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul

A couple of teaching sisters at the local Catholic high school.

There's a Grey Nun of the Sacred Heart at the Newman Center at UNC-Greensboro.

For the guys:

Benedictines (Belmont)
Jesuits (Raleigh)
Dominicans (Raleigh)
Augustinians (Maggie Valley)
Oblates of St. Francis de Sales (enough to start a Southern Province)

There's also a number of diocesan hermits in the state.

Blessings,
Gemma

Queen'sDaughter

We have all kinds in my diocese:

Franciscan Brothers Minor

Franciscan Sisters Minor

Sister's of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration

Poor Handmaids

Oratorian's

Conventual Franciscan's

School Sister's of Notre Dame

Holy Cross Brothers

Probably some more that I can't think of right now.

Dominican's will be coming soon.

The only sister house in my diocese is the San Angelo OCarm nuns-it's 'spare pickins!' as we say down South. :)

Edited by emmaberry

Kayte Postle

http://www.colsdioc.org/Offices/ReligiousLiaisonfor/ReligiousVocations.aspx

List of the communities that have persons serving in my diocese. Oddly enough the Children of Mary aren't on this list, and I know that they're in the cbus diocese. So the link list may not be complete...