An Old School Catholic Message Board

Books To Prepare?

chelsea

What are some books or meditations you would recommend to someone who is preparing to enter religious life in the coming months? I have recommended vita consecrata but im not sure what else is good.

AveMariaPurissima

[i]The Way of Divine Love[/i] by Sister Josefa Menéndez. This book is amesome -- I can't recommend it enough!!!! (In fact, I've been considering making a post about it!)

Who's doing the entering and into which spirituality? The latter more important than the former.

The Conferences of St John Cassian is always used in novitiates.

Blessings,
Gemma

TheresaThoma

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1340461367' post='2447879']
[u]And You are Christ's[/u], by Thomas Dubay
[/quote]
I totally agree with this one. I was given it as a gift and I keep reading it over and over.

The Rule of the Secular Franciscans lists the Little Flowers of St. Francis. I've always heard rave reviews about the book, and how much it helped those of Franciscan persuasion to deepen their spirituality.

Blessings,
Gemma

Queen'sDaughter

One I have found very helpful is [i]Introduction to the Devout Life[/i] by Saint Fancis de Sales.

Strictlyinkblot

'To Heaven with Diana', I know its Dominican rather than Franciscan spirituality but its a wonderful book.

[quote name='Queen'sDaughter' timestamp='1340496157' post='2448075']
One I have found very helpful is [i]Introduction to the Devout Life[/i] by Saint Fancis de Sales.
[/quote]
[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1340461367' post='2447879']
[u]And You are Christ's[/u], by Thomas Dubay
[/quote]

The above are wonderful, along with The Imitation of Christ by Thomas Kempis, The Imitation of Mary by Alexander de Rouville, and True Devotion by St Louis de Montfort

PhuturePriest

[i]The Story of a Soul. [/i]I cannot stress enough just how amazing and beautiful that book is for someone discerning. And for everyone else in the world not blessed enough to experience the joy of discerning the Religious life! :hehe:

Agreed on St. Therese's [u]Story of a Soul [/u]and [u]The Way of Divine Love[/u]. Wonderful books.

Get the John Clark, OCD translation of the Story of a Soul as it is the best literal translation....

If one is into Franciscan spirituality, I can't recommend [u]The Perfect Joy of St. Franci[/u]s by Felix Timmermans strongly enough!

It is strongly based on the Little Flowers of St. Francis, but reads like a novel. I encountered it when I was a postulant, and it was the FIRST book I purchased for myself when I left the convent. Totally helped me through that tough transition. I hadn't been that much into St. Francis and St. Clare before that... but walked away with a strong devotion to both....

Another one that I have found VERY helpful is [u]He Leadeth Me[/u] by the Servant of God Fr. Walter Ciszek, S.J. He went as a missionary to the Russian people during the communist years.... and learned some incredible lessons about radical trust in God. Very powerful!!!!