An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment Ideas.

Spem in alium

Spem in alium

[quote name='Kayte Postle' timestamp='1340580770' post='2448446']
You're in aussie yes? I believe you can get it there, though it's a bit more pricey because of the shipping.
[url="https://www.magnificat.net/english/abo1.asp"]https://www.magnific...nglish/abo1.asp[/url]
[/quote]

Yes :) It's not as expensive as other subscription prices I've seen. Shipping can be a nuisance, really - sometimes it's even more expensive than the item itself :hmmm: I had a look at what the magazine offers and it sounds like something I'll really enjoy :) Thanks for the link!

TheresaThoma

[quote name='Spem in alium' timestamp='1340579588' post='2448438']
Thank you! That does look like a fantastic version, and a more durable one would be excellent for me :) My main concern in getting a breviary or LotH is that as a beginner to this, I'd like one that's fairly simple to use. How easily manageable is this edition?
It does sound good, so I'll see if I can get a copy. One with room for prayer cards would be great for me, as I like using them. And a section on songs would be amesome too. Thanks again, God bless :)
[/quote]
I believe this copy comes with a St Joseph's Guide. It gives you the page numbers and such so it is very helpful in learning. I learned the basic structure by praying it in a group which really can help. Look around and see if you can find a place that prays the LotH regularly. If not it is pretty easy to learn. If you have any questions you can also PM me, I'd be happy to help you out.

Spem in alium

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1340593549' post='2448530']
I believe this copy comes with a St Joseph's Guide. It gives you the page numbers and such so it is very helpful in learning. I learned the basic structure by praying it in a group which really can help. Look around and see if you can find a place that prays the LotH regularly. If not it is pretty easy to learn. If you have any questions you can also PM me, I'd be happy to help you out.
[/quote]

Thank you so much! :) A copy that comes with a guide would be really useful. I'm fairly quick at learning things on my own, but really do appreciate praying in a group. I'll look around, though I'm not sure if there's anything like that locally. I don't know of anyone else who prays the LotH, though with the Catholic friends I have I'm sure there's someone around who would :) I could ask my parents if they'd like to pray with me, but I doubt they'd want to. Still, it's worth a try! :)

TheresaThoma

I first learned about the Liturgy of the Hours when my friends talked me into going with them to the local Dominican brother's priory for evening prayer. It is a little different than the breviary version but it helped me learn the "rhythm". Many communities open their prayer times to the public so that might be another resource.

Spem in alium

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1340515733' post='2448255']
My other advice would be to listen to Danielle Rose or other catholic artists when normally you'd be listening to secular music.
[/quote]

I managed to listen to a bit of Danielle Rose's music today (on her website there are short bits of her music). She has a beautiful sound :love: In some ways she reminds me of Brooke Fraser, who I also like. I rarely listen to secular music anymore. I do tend to prefer meditative, choral music and chants over more contemporary Christian music, but I really liked what I heard of her. Thanks for the suggestion :)

[quote name='Noemi' timestamp='1340524975' post='2448275']
The songs of Taizé are also great stuff for that... You can sing the Taizé-songs for a long time, repeat it over and over. I've heard that in Taizé they can even sing one song 10 times or more.
[/quote]

Noemi, I just typed "Taizé" into Youtube and listened to the first song I came across, called "Wait for the Lord". WOW. :eek: :love: :cloud9: Kind of felt like I was in heaven, or at least somewhere amazing, away from everything else. Actually gave me chills.

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1340597003' post='2448552']
I first learned about the Liturgy of the Hours when my friends talked me into going with them to the local Dominican brother's priory for evening prayer. It is a little different than the breviary version but it helped me learn the "rhythm". Many communities open their prayer times to the public so that might be another resource.
[/quote]

Thank you for that suggestion :) I know there are a few communities around here and I think praying with them would be absolutely beyond amazing, but I just have this aversion to going alone. (It's complicated, but know if I went to one of these things, I would be going alone) It's probably a very silly hesitation, but support in prayer and at Mass really means a lot to me. There are many more spiritual things I want to get involved in, but I lack a lot of familial support and the ability to get myself to places a distance away.

How would I find out whether communities open their prayer times to the public? Would it be listed on their websites?

Edited by Spem in alium

Kayte Postle

[quote name='Spem in alium' timestamp='1340607779' post='2448594']
Thank you for that suggestion :) I know there are a few communities around here and I think praying with them would be absolutely beyond amazing, but I just have this aversion to going alone. (It's complicated, but know if I went to one of these things, I would be going alone) It's probably a very silly hesitation, but support in prayer and at Mass really means a lot to me. There are many more spiritual things I want to get involved in, but I lack a lot of familial support and the ability to get myself to places a distance away.

How would I find out whether communities open their prayer times to the public? Would it be listed on their websites?
[/quote]

Depending on the order they might have their times on their website, if not you should shoot them an email or call them. I'm sure that any community that has any public prayer times would love to have you there.

I understand your hesitation about going to one of these things by yourself. I have done the same thing, when I went to see the Children of Mary for the first time I nearly had a panic attack in my truck in their parking lot. But going there was one of the best decisions I ever made! I also don't have the support when I am not at uni (aka summers), but by contacting a community and going to their prayer times etc., you might get to know the community and build support through them.

Edited by Kayte Postle

Spem in alium

[quote name='Kayte Postle' timestamp='1340611297' post='2448603']
Depending on the order they might have their times on their website, if not you should shoot them an email or call them. I'm sure that any community that has any public prayer times would love to have you there.

I understand your hesitation about going to one of these things by yourself. I have done the same thing, when I went to see the Children of Mary for the first time I nearly had a panic attack in my truck in their parking lot. But going there was one of the best decisions I ever made! I also don't have the support when I am not at uni (aka summers), but by contacting a community and going to their prayer times etc., you might get to know the community and build support through them.
[/quote]

Thank you for your words and understanding :) I've been thinking about it more and would really love to do something like this. Do you suppose it matters if I try public prayer with a few communities? I'm still unsure as to where exactly I may be called. (And apologies to everyone for all the questions. Please excuse them, I'm new to this and very unsure of things)

I think sometimes it's just best to do things without worrying about being alone. We're never completely alone, as God's always with us, but having encouragement and support from those closest does make things easier to bear and deal with. My discernment has been a very joyful time, but it has also been very lonely for me. I don't know if that's how it's meant to be and I try to get on with things as best I can, but it's hard to always feel like I'm alone and misunderstood by my family when one of the greatest things I desire is to have them simply listen (and [i]want[/i] to listen) to me.

Kayte Postle

[quote name='Spem in alium' timestamp='1340617739' post='2448610']
Thank you for your words and understanding :) I've been thinking about it more and would really love to do something like this. Do you suppose it matters if I try public prayer with a few communities? I'm still unsure as to where exactly I may be called. (And apologies to everyone for all the questions. Please excuse them, I'm new to this and very unsure of things)

I think sometimes it's just best to do things without worrying about being alone. We're never completely alone, as God's always with us, but having encouragement and support from those closest does make things easier to bear and deal with. My discernment has been a very joyful time, but it has also been very lonely for me. I don't know if that's how it's meant to be and I try to get on with things as best I can, but it's hard to always feel like I'm alone and misunderstood by my family when one of the greatest things I desire is to have them simply listen (and [i]want[/i] to listen) to me.
[/quote]'

I don't think that going to public prayer would hurt you, I believe it would only help. As I mentioned before by going you might get to know the community, they might not end up being the community you are called to, but they might become your friends. All of them have gone through discernment, and could help you through this time as best they could.

Oh my dear, I feel as if you are taking words from my head. I'm a convert, and my family/friends are still trying so hard to understand my conversion, let alone my vocation. It is hard trying to go at it alone, pray for your family. Ask God and Mary to help them to understand your vocation. (although it isn't quite the same you always have your pham here.) Praying for you!

Pm me if you want to talk more. :)

Spem in alium

[quote name='Kayte Postle' timestamp='1340649123' post='2448723']
'

I don't think that going to public prayer would hurt you, I believe it would only help. As I mentioned before by going you might get to know the community, they might not end up being the community you are called to, but they might become your friends. All of them have gone through discernment, and could help you through this time as best they could.

Oh my dear, I feel as if you are taking words from my head. I'm a convert, and my family/friends are still trying so hard to understand my conversion, let alone my vocation. It is hard trying to go at it alone, pray for your family. Ask God and Mary to help them to understand your vocation. (although it isn't quite the same you always have your pham here.) Praying for you!

Pm me if you want to talk more. :)
[/quote]

I agree. I will pray for my family. I don't want to force them into trying to be interested in what I'm experiencing and going through, as I understand my vocation, while amazing and enriching for me, is probably of lesser concern to them :) But it would be great to someday feel like they really supported me. I believe they probably do deep down, they just don't show it.
Communicating here has been so helpful for me. I went from feeling very much alone and lost to getting advice from people who know what I'm going through. Just amazing :) I will PM you.

TheresaThoma

[quote name='Spem in alium' timestamp='1340617739' post='2448610']
[/quote]
Going to prayer with a few different communities would most definitely help. Each community does LotH a little differently so it would be good to experience it multiple ways. I made some really good friends by going to evening prayer. When my friends and I would go the Brothers would sometimes stay and chat a bit with us. It helped me understand a bit more of what religious life was like(mostly it helped me to realize that Religious Brothers and Sisters are just normal people too). I still keep in contact with a few of the Brothers even though I have moved away.

Spem in alium

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1340662470' post='2448803']
Going to prayer with a few different communities would most definitely help. Each community does LotH a little differently so it would be good to experience it multiple ways. I made some really good friends by going to evening prayer. When my friends and I would go the Brothers would sometimes stay and chat a bit with us. It helped me understand a bit more of what religious life was like(mostly it helped me to realize that Religious Brothers and Sisters are just normal people too). I still keep in contact with a few of the Brothers even though I have moved away.
[/quote]

That's fantastic :) I would love to make those sorts of connections, especially as religious men and women just inspire me so much. There's only so much that researching orders can do; I think the best way to learn is actually to get out there, speak with them and see how they live. There are a few opportunities coming up for me to get to know different orders, and I'm hoping I'll become a bit more guided and committed. I'll look around and see what's on offer.