An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dominican (nun) Aspirant - Menlo Park

Luigi

[url="http://www.opheartprints.blogspot.com/"]http://www.opheartprints.blogspot.com/[/url]

Scroll down to the entry for June 18th. I believe this woman struggled with college debt before she could enter.

And the same monastery had a final profession a few months ago.

Correction: It was a first profession, and it was in May '12. To see the blurb, you have to click on Older Posts at the bottom of the page.

Yay!

I couldn't help notice that in some of the pictures the sisters seem to be wearing different style veils. Does anyone know why that is?

If you're looking at the story from June 2nd, that's an active order of Dominican sisters visiting with the contemplatives at Menlo Park.

If you see other differences in the veils, you have sharper eyes than I do.

That says they're there on the 31st though, not at the time of the profession. Or maybe I'm missing something. :idontknow:

Some of the sisters wear modified veils, others the more traditional veils, at the Menlo Park Dominican monastery.

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1340774846' post='2449356']
Some of the sisters wear modified veils, others the more traditional veils, at the Menlo Park Dominican monastery.
[/quote]

Thanks. I wonder why that is. Were they amalgamated at some point perhaps?

maximillion

It's common in some communities where some (perhaps older) sisters are permitted to wear what they were always used to wearing....

Also, in many communities they wear different veils when out to work to those they wear in choir.

As far as I know, the Menlo Park community was't amalgamated... they just have a lot of sisters who entered in the 1970's and 1980's who had the modified habit, and I believe the ones now are given a choice of which they wish to be given at vestition. Two or three years ago, they had two sisters enter at about the same time; one requested the older style, one the newer style. The sister who requested the modified style ended up discerning the community wasn't what God wanted for her, but the other sister just made her first profession. So, I think the community is open to both options.

I have a friend in a different monastic community (on the opposite end of the country!) and she has told me that the older sisters in their house want to keep the modified habits because 1) they changed them in accordance with the request of the Vatican, and still haven't worn them out!; 2) they are easier for them to wear with their current physical disabilities (remember, these are ladies in their 80's and 90's!), and 3) because they feel it would be contrary to holy poverty to spend money on a 'new' habit for them at this time in their religious life as what they are wearing is a perfectly acceptable religious habit, complete with veil. I will admit that I can see their point!

The newer sisters (including my friend) are wearing the modified habits as well, as the consensus of the community is that it is more respectful and loving to honor the wishes of their elder sisters, especially as what they are wearing now is a recognizable religious habit, and is simple and modest... which matches the guidelines for religious habits.

I am sure many of the sisters might be open to going to more traditional habits at some point in the future when it is the wish of the whole community, there is something very beautiful, humble and Christ-like in the loving respect that they are showing for their older sisters.

Edited by AnneLine

BarbTherese

[quote] that the older sisters in their house want to keep the modified habits because 1) they changed them in accordance with the request of the Vatican, and still haven't worn them out!; 2) they are easier for them to wear with their current physical disabilities (remember, these are ladies in their 80's and 90's!), and 3) because they feel it would be contrary to holy poverty to spend money on a 'new' habit for them at this time in their religious life as what they are wearing is a perfectly acceptable religious habit, complete with veil. [/quote]

God bless them - and He has! :)

[quote]something very beautiful, humble and Christ-like in the loving respect that they are showing for their older sisters.[/quote]

What a beautiful community!

Edited by BarbaraTherese

AnneLine: What a beautiful post! I understand sisters who have the modified habit (or none at all) but never understood communities who had both the modified and traditional full habit. Your post explained/defended communities who use both versions of the habit, and helped me understand that not only is this acceptable, but often (as in your friend's community) it is a true act of charity, humility, poverty, and so forth on the part of the sisters.

Thanks! :)

Edited by emmaberry