homeschoolmom Posted May 17, 2004 Posted May 17, 2004 I was belittled in front of a college class for stating that my goal was to get married (I was engaged at the time), work until I had children, quit my job and be a SAHM... He was all, "is that reeeeeeeallly very realistic?" Grr... Anyway... that's what I did... Then I was told by my mom that it was a bad idea to try to homeschool... But we do that, too. It's tough when someone openly critiques the way you are going to live your life anyway... Just do it. Just wait till my mom hears that we are going to sell our house and live in Europe for six months... She'll flip... Oh well... (The road less traveled is much more interesting...)
Norseman82 Posted May 17, 2004 Posted May 17, 2004 [quote name='Dave' date='May 17 2004, 08:52 AM'] Well, my personal goals aren't something that I would do INSTEAD OF working, having a family, etc. They'd be something I'd do WHILE doing such things. [/quote] Then you know what? As long as it's not illegal or immoral, and as long as you can afford it and take any safety precautions (like wearing a helmet if it involves motorcycling): GO FOR IT!!!!
Jake Huether Posted May 17, 2004 Posted May 17, 2004 Dave, Just pray for those people. Ususally the people who think they know better than you about your own goals are the one's who's goals will never be realized. Go for for your goals, and only take one person with you: God. My prayers are with you.
Mrs. Bro. Adam Posted May 17, 2004 Posted May 17, 2004 [quote name='Dave' date='May 17 2004, 09:11 AM'] How would you feel if someone dismissed certain personal goals of yours as trivial, told you you needed to grow up, and said that at your age you should be more concerned about your vocation, raising a family, etc. (as if you were most people and not yourself)? [/quote] If it were me, I'd take it in stride, and then mimick them behind me back... I think about what they said for about thirty seconds and then try to convince myself that they didn't know what they were talking about.
cmotherofpirl Posted May 17, 2004 Posted May 17, 2004 (edited) [quote name='Dave' date='May 17 2004, 09:11 AM'] How would you feel if someone dismissed certain personal goals of yours as trivial, told you you needed to grow up, and said that at your age you should be more concerned about your vocation, raising a family, etc. (as if you were most people and not yourself)? [/quote] This depends on if I asked the person for an opinion. If I asked for an opinion then I expect the person to be honest with me. I may not like their advice, I might think they are crazy, I might totally disagree with them, but I asked them, didn't I. I expect my friends to tell me the truth when asked, otherwise they are not really my friends. Truth can set you free, but can hurt like hell in the process. Unsolicited advice is not the same. Edited May 17, 2004 by cmotherofpirl
Dave Posted May 17, 2004 Author Posted May 17, 2004 (edited) [quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='May 17 2004, 01:27 PM'] This depends on if I asked the person for an opinion. If I asked for an opinion then I expect the person to be honest with me. I may not like their advice, I might think they are crazy, I might totally disagree with them, but I asked them, didn't I. I expect my friends to tell me the truth when asked, otherwise they are not really my friends. Truth can set you free, but can hurt like hell in the process. [/quote] I didn't ask anyone's opinion on the subject matter at hand. Not at all. It was totally unsolicited. Edited May 17, 2004 by Dave
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now