An Old School Catholic Message Board

Medical Issues And Entrance

FutureCarmeliteClaire

FutureCarmeliteClaire

Do y'all know if convents will accept young entrants with arthritis? Or other muscular problems of the like? And at what degree would they not accept them?

Thanks,
FCC

MissScripture

I would imagine it would depend on how involved a given medical condition was, and on the convent. Some are better equipped to handle such things than others.

OnlySunshine

Since this is a physical illness and not a mental one, you may have better luck finding one that will allow you to try their life. For instance, the Visitation Nuns have it written in their Rule that no one should be refuse on the basis of physical disability as long as they are able to live the life to a substantial degree. From Catholic Encylopedia about St. Francis de Sales founding the order:

[quote]At once the founder opened the door of the monastery to all of good will. No severity, however great, could prevent the weak and infirm from coming "there to seek the perfection of Divine love". He expressly ordered the reception at the Visitation not only of virgins but also of widows, on condition that they were legitimately freed from the care of their children; the aged, provided they were of right mind; the crippled, provided they were sound in mind and heart; even the sick, except those who had contagious diseases.[/quote]

There are several in the United States including ones in:

[url="http://www.visitationmonasterymobile.org/"]Mobile, AL[/url]
[url="http://vistyr.org/"]Tyringham, MA[/url]
[url="http://www.visitationuns.org/"]Philadelphia, PA[/url]
[url="http://db.religiouslife.com/reg_life/irl.nsf/org/36"]Snellville, GA[/url]
[url="http://www.toledovisitation.com/"]Toledo, OH[/url]
[url="http://www.sistersofthevisitation.org/"]Rockville, VA[/url]

However, if you really feel called to pursue a vocation with an order, don't hesitate to ask them personally what their requirements are. The Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal allowed a candidate with a bad back and she is now professed (though I can't remember her name). There are some orders, such as the [url="http://www.carmelitedcjnorth.org/"]Carmelite Sisters DCJ[/url] in Wauwatosa, WI, that even allow candidates with medication needs. I applied there back in 2009, but I am not called to Carmel.

Also, you are fairly young and you just became aware of your illness recently. I've also read that you don't have an accurate diagnosis yet. I hope that you will find one soon and get this taken care of. Have your doctors done any blood tests for autoimmune disorders such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis or other issues such as Lyme disease or Mononucleosis? Take care of your health now and worry about orders accepting you when you are properly treated. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

VeniJesuAmorMi

My first thought also was the Visitation Nuns. Wherever Our Lord wants you, He will get you there. :)

OnlySunshine

Anytime you start to worry, especially about your vocation, just repeat to yourself what the Archangel Gabriel said to Mary during the Annunciation:

[i]For nothing can be impossible with God...[/i]

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1341273309' post='2451684']
Anytime you start to worry, especially about your vocation, just repeat to yourself what the Archangel Gabriel said to Mary during the Annunciation:

[i]For nothing can be impossible with God...[/i]
[/quote]

THIS. :heart:

FutureCarmeliteClaire

You guys have no idea how ironic it is that you mentioned the Visitation Sisters. No idea...

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1341271926' post='2451677']
Also, you are fairly young and you just became aware of your illness recently. I've also read that you don't have an accurate diagnosis yet. I hope that you will find one soon and get this taken care of. Have your doctors done any blood tests for autoimmune disorders such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis or other issues such as Lyme disease or Mononucleosis? Take care of your health now and worry about orders accepting you when you are properly treated. :)
[/quote]
I see my doctor today, and I have a feeling he's going to order a bunch of blood tests. My mom thinks it's Lyme disease or something of the like. She also thinks it could be arthritis based on how it is spreading.

Just curious about the arthritis, and at this point, I'm okay with not being able to enter, because at least I'll know. Won't be any less heart-breaking, but at least I'll know.

Again, good to know about the Visitation Sisters... Haha...

OnlySunshine

[quote name='FutureCarmeliteClaire' timestamp='1341333599' post='2451997']
You guys have no idea how ironic it is that you mentioned the Visitation Sisters. No idea...

I see my doctor today, and I have a feeling he's going to order a bunch of blood tests. My mom thinks it's Lyme disease or something of the like. She also thinks it could be arthritis based on how it is spreading.

Just curious about the arthritis, and at this point, I'm okay with not being able to enter, because at least I'll know. Won't be any less heart-breaking, but at least I'll know.

Again, good to know about the Visitation Sisters... Haha...
[/quote]

I'm praying that it is something that can be treated and cured. Also, that you accept whatever God's will is for you. Sometimes, it is much better to know because we all like to have answers. Only God knows what is best for us. :)

Indwelling Trinity

The Benedictiine Sisters of Jesus Crucified. I met their elderly foundress in Holland many years ago. She was deaf and mute. They are a contemplative community and at the time i met them when i was still a Missionary of Charity in the Nederlands, they were very Orthodox yet not rigid.

Most of the Sisters had some form of disability they each helped each other providing for one what the other may have not been able to do. Their tender Charity was amazing. Their Joy contagious. No sad sacks there. I believe they followed the rule of Benedict. I think they have a house in Connecticut. I will look up the link for you or others who might be interested.

Hold on in faith my friend, God will show you his place for you!

They wore slightly a modified habit, just above the ankles, which was more practical for those in wheel chairs as it did not get caught in the wheels.

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

Indwelling Trinity

[url="http://www.benedictinesjc.org"]http://www.benedictinesjc.org[/url]

Here is their Link. The have a Monastery in Connecticut. I believe they also have a Male counterpart. They do not have a flashy website but i have read it all and i find them so very humble and beautiful.

I hope this helps :wave:

Edited by Indwelling Trinity

[quote]Just curious about the arthritis, and at this point, I'm okay with not being able to enter, because at least I'll know. Won't be any less heart-breaking, but at least I'll know.[/quote]

Claire, no matter what your illness turns out to be, it's impossible to know whether it will preclude you for entering a monastery. Disabled or non-disabled, ill or healthy, young or old, discernment involves a conversation with a community. Some disabled people are accepted for entrance, while non-disabled people are turned away.

Over the past month or so you have appeared quite torn and anxious about your vocation. Is it possible that you are hoping your symptoms will take some of the anxiety away by making the decision for you? "I can't be a nun, because I have condition XYZ." It doesn't work like that.

Perhaps now is not the time to focus on what you might be one day, but to concentrate instead on what you are now. You are ill and you need care and love. Even in illness, you still have a lot to offer God. Don't run away from your present, and leave the future where it belongs, in the hands of God.

FutureCarmeliteClaire

[quote name='beatitude' timestamp='1341584564' post='2452842']
Claire, no matter what your illness turns out to be, it's impossible to know whether it will preclude you for entering a monastery. Disabled or non-disabled, ill or healthy, young or old, discernment involves a conversation with a community. Some disabled people are accepted for entrance, while non-disabled people are turned away.

Over the past month or so you have appeared quite torn and anxious about your vocation. Is it possible that you are hoping your symptoms will take some of the anxiety away by making the decision for you? "I can't be a nun, because I have condition XYZ." It doesn't work like that.

Perhaps now is not the time to focus on what you might be one day, but to concentrate instead on what you are now. You are ill and you need care and love. Even in illness, you still have a lot to offer God. Don't run away from your present, and leave the future where it belongs, in the hands of God.
[/quote]
Thank you so much for this. It is beautiful. And you read me perfectly, but truthfully, I don't know what to hope for with this vocation and illness thing at this point. I'm reaching out for any bit of reassurance about anything, pretty much. Trying to look for a positive. Maybe it's time to slow down my discernment during this. Idk.

IgnatiusofLoyola

Forgive me for this off-topic post. For whatever reason, my computer does not want me to post comments today.

FCC--I read your comment about your bad experience during your blood test. I totally sympathize. I have had difficulty with blood tests all my life. However, over time, I have learned some pretty easy "tricks" that help me a lot. The only time I have fainted and/or vomited during a blood test in the past few years was when a young (and arrogant) phlebotomist felt that he was so good that the procedure would be just fine doing it "his" way. He learned. I have found that experienced phlebotomists are only too glad to hear my suggestions for how make the procedure easier for me, especially when my "tricks" are pretty straightforward. It's not only better for me, but it makes their job easier, too.

PM me if you are interested.

Okay, back to the subject of the thread........

Later note: It turns out that my computer WILL let me make comments, it just wants to "think about them for awhile" before they are posted. Since I made this post anyway, I think I'll leave it even if it's off-topic.

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

PhuturePriest

As said above, it depends on how it affects your daily life and on the Community. Some are more picky, others aren't. Arthritis is a very, very common thing in the middle-aged to elderly, so I would be willing to say at least half of Sisters/Nuns in these age groups have arthritis. If it doesn't stop them from doing their job it shouldn't stop you.

Others have been recommending Communities, so I suppose I'll do my part as well. One of the best female communities I have ever seen in my life is the Franciscan Sisters Minor. Since part of the charism of the Franciscan Brothers Minor is taking anybody called, no matter if they are old, young, uneducated or have Masters Degrees, I would assume the Franciscan Sisters Minor do the same thing. I couldn't imagine someone as opinionated and strong-willed like Father David Mary would allow them to start being picky and the total opposite of what he wanted. As you probably know they are going to be cloistered and are going to officially be Poor Clares, so they will be a lot like Carmelite Nuns. I know you have your heart set on the Carmelites, but it is always something worth looking into. As an extra bonus their new habits will be blue, so that's another thing to think about. :hehe: