An Old School Catholic Message Board

Daily Schedule

the171

I am looking to start the LOTH back up again. I know I really need to start a daily schedule but I don't know where to begin. Could you share your daily schedules? Keep in mind I have school from 7:45-2:20. I can't go to daily mass, but I would like to. I need time for mental prayer, the Angelus, and maybe a decade of the rosary. But I still need time for homework and study. Also free time. ;) I am perfectly fine with going to sleep late. I do every night and I can work off of little sleep. I has tried to make a schedule but I always screw it up and put too much. Thanks y'all!

StClare_OraProNobis

Why don't you ask the Lord for help? A sister once told me to ask Him, "How much do I need to pray to be able to be faithful to prayer." Then after you have established the "minimum" with the Lord, you can always pray more when you are able. I found that to be good advice, as I also tend to schedule in too much. For me it is 1/2 hour of mental prayer and daily mass.

If you are unable to go to daily mass, I would suggest that you pray as though you were at Mass. Start with a Sign of the Cross, and examination of conscience with act of contrition, a time of praise (maybe using the Gloria.) Then read the readings for the day, (which are available on the USCCB website.) Pray some intercessions. Then make a spiritual act of communion and pray for the Lord's blessing.

"If for some unavoidable reason, you cannot actually be present at the celebration of the Supreme Sacrifice, at least in your heart be there, that you may assist by a spiritual presence. At some hour, therefore, of the morning, go in spirit to the church, if you cannot do so in any other way; unite your intention to that of all Christians, and in the place where you are, perform the same interior actions you would do, were you actually present at the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass in some church." (St. Francis de Sales- Introduction to the Devout Life)

Go from what you know to what you don't know.

Times for:

Rising and retiring
Three meals
classes
prayers

Everything has to be fit in around your class schedule. I became a Lay Dominican while in college, and I carried the single volume Christian Prayer with me. I'd sit on a bench or steal away into the chapel if the break between classes permitted.

You can also bundle prayers, which is what I do. I pray the Little Office of the Sacred Heart on the droid, and pray all offices until noon prayer. At noon, I pray the Angelus and Sext. At 3pm, I have the commemoration of Divine Mercy, and Nones. At six, I pray the Angelus, Vespers and Compline, and the Hail Holy Queen. I also get the rosary in when I can. All of this works in around my 'work' schedule which is contingent on hubby and the boys and their schedules.

Don't forget the prayer of St Thomas Aquinas used before study. There is also a book of spending time with St Francis de Sales which we used in a Salesian prayer class held at a local church. He wrote about his experiences in college, to include planning your day.

HTH

Blessings,
Gemma

Chiquitunga

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1341694761' post='2453189']
Keep in mind I have school from 7:45-2:20. I can't go to daily mass, but I would like to.[/quote]
Are you sure there's not a parish with an evening Mass you may be able to catch? [url="http://www.masstimes.org/"]http://www.masstimes.org/[/url]

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1341706988' post='2453244']

Are you sure there's not a parish with an evening Mass you may be able to catch? [url="http://www.masstimes.org/"]http://www.masstimes.org/[/url]
[/quote]

The youth minister, others, and myself are trying SO HARD to get an evening mass. But we have only one, aging pastor.

Chiquitunga

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1341707186' post='2453248']
The youth minister, others, and myself are trying SO HARD to get an evening mass. But we have only one, aging pastor.
[/quote]
What about another parish though? We are Roaming Catholics, right? :proud: I'm always traveling around from one place to the next for daily Mass :topsy: That's easier in a big city though.

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1341707655' post='2453255']

What about another parish though? We are Roaming Catholics, right? :proud: I'm always traveling around from one place to the next for daily Mass :topsy: That's easier in a big city though.
[/quote]
Problem is I can't drive.

Chiquitunga

[quote name='the171' timestamp='1341707742' post='2453258']
Problem is I can't drive.
[/quote]
Are there any bus routes around you? I only use public transit myself to get around, buses & trains, but again, I'm in a big city. I don't have a car and don't plan on getting one. Prayers that you find a way! (or that your parish can have an evening Mass!) Maybe a friend can give you a ride.. :pray:

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1341708366' post='2453265']

Are there any bus routes around you? I only use public transit myself to get around, buses & trains, but again, I'm in a big city. I don't have a car and don't plan on getting one. Prayers that you find a way! (or that your parish can have an evening Mass!) Maybe a friend can give you a ride.. :pray:
[/quote]

I live way out in Guam. (not the actual Guam. Just super far out) My mom takes me to school. I'll see if she can drop me off at a parish near the new school I am attending. I could ride the bus from there I guess. I'll just keep mace with me! Hah

Chiquitunga

I always have mine! :numchucks: We gotta fight to see Jesus! lol No but seriously, stay safe! Okay, back on topic to your schedule .. which I'm the worst to comment on because I keep such a poor one myself! But I'm really passionate about daily Mass! You can ask my friends :hehe:

StClare_OraProNobis

I hope you saw in my post above what St. Frances de Sales said about when you can't make it to mass. There are certainly circumstances when that is the case and this good saint understood it!

[quote name='StClare_OraProNobis' timestamp='1341709406' post='2453270']
I hope you saw in my post above what St. Frances de Sales said about when you can't make it to mass. There are certainly circumstances when that is the case and this good saint understood it!
[/quote]

I even took a screen shot. Keeping that tucked in my phone. :)

PhuturePriest

Well, the more blessed of us, also known as "home schoolers" have a pretty sweet and open schedule, so we can incorporate praying into our school schedule. I have a few prayer books that I use, plus I say the Rosary every day no matter what. I pray in the morning, at midday, several times in the afternoon, and then of course my nightly prayers. Thanks to my open schedule I can get an hour of praying in with no problem. If you are trying to do the Divine Office it may be a little tough with your schedule, but I am sure if you spaced it out in the morning, evening and at night you could easily do it and have plenty of free time. It's a matter of what a normal day for you is like and when you have the time to do it.

[color=#282828][font='Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Suggested for you:[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font='Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]6:00 a.m. -- Angelus[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font='Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]6:15 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. -- preparation for school[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font='Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]7:00 a.m. - whenever -- mental prayer[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font='Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]7:45 a.m. - 2:20 p.m. -- school[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font='Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]3:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. -- school work[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font='Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]5:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. -- dinner[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font='Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]6:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. -- free time[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font='Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]7:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. -- school work[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font='Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]8:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. -- Rosary + mental prayer[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font='Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]9:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. -- preparation for sleep + mental prayer[/font][/color]

My schedule:
6:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. -- Lauds + mental prayer
7:00 a.m. - 8:00 a.m. -- breakfast + preparation for work
8:00 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. -- commute
9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. -- Eucharistic Adoration @ parish near office
10:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. -- work
5:10 p.m. - 5:25 p.m. -- Vespers w/ Dominicans @ my parish
5:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. -- Mass
6:00 p.m. - 7:30 p.m. -- commute + relaxation
7:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. -- mental prayer + study
9:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. -- Rosary, Compline, free time
10:00 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. (flexible) -- preparation for work, errands, emails, etc.