Cherie Posted July 14, 2012 Posted July 14, 2012 If you had to choose between a Saturday evening Vigil Mass that is more quiet and traditionally-minded (for a typical USA parish, that is) or a Sunday Mass that has drums beating, guitars strumming, and clapping ... which would you choose?
Archaeology cat Posted July 14, 2012 Posted July 14, 2012 Probably the vigil, even though I prefer going on Sunday. While I started going to 8.00 Mass because of morning sickness issues with Charlotte, I kept going because I enjoyed the fact that there wasn't music (the music alternative was more erm contemporary than my liking)
PhuturePriest Posted July 14, 2012 Posted July 14, 2012 [quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1342288433' post='2455632'] If you had to choose between a Saturday evening Vigil Mass that is more quiet and traditionally-minded (for a typical USA parish, that is) or a Sunday Mass that has drums beating, guitars strumming, and clapping ... which would you choose? [/quote] My family has always gone on Saturdays. My mother hates waking up early. I don't care either way, really, so long as there is no terrible liturgical rock music and clapping. I've been to Masses where people have clapped to the music. It inspired me to slap someone else's skin with my hand...
Jaime Posted July 14, 2012 Posted July 14, 2012 [quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1342288433' post='2455632'] If you had to choose between a Saturday evening Vigil Mass that is more quiet and traditionally-minded (for a typical USA parish, that is) or a Sunday Mass that has drums beating, guitars strumming, and clapping ... which would you choose? [/quote] Am I the one strumming the guitar?
PadrePioOfPietrelcino Posted July 14, 2012 Posted July 14, 2012 I would give the Sunday a chance first. If the drums, clapping and guitars were all still able to be done in the spirit of worship that's fine with me. If it is more the spirit of entertainment in the mass...then I'll take the vigil.
xTrishaxLynnx Posted July 14, 2012 Posted July 14, 2012 The vigil. I don't like distractions at mass.
Papist Posted July 14, 2012 Posted July 14, 2012 Vigil. I don't like rolling my eyes and shaking my head during mass.
Ed Normile Posted July 14, 2012 Posted July 14, 2012 The vigil. Its hard to focus on the mass when I keep thinking things like, this is not reverant, this is not allowed during the celebration of the mass. I really detest when a priest will say something like, " lets give a hand to the band for that great performance" which I have seen far too many times, makes me feel like I was at a bar with a band instead of at mass. ed
elizabeth09 Posted July 14, 2012 Posted July 14, 2012 The Vigil. I can`t stand drums, [color=#282828][font='Segoe UI', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]guitars strumming, and clapping[/font][/color]
dUSt Posted July 14, 2012 Posted July 14, 2012 If I knew there would be drums, guitars and clapping, I would not go, unless it was the only possible option within driving distance.
carmenchristi Posted July 15, 2012 Posted July 15, 2012 If they were played well, I might survive the guitars (without [i]too [/i]much eyeball rolling) but the drums ans clapping would drive me [i]crazy[/i]! I would take that Sat. vigil any day over that! Otherwise I'd most likely drive to another town.
PhuturePriest Posted July 15, 2012 Posted July 15, 2012 (edited) I would go to the shameful Rock concert if there were no other option, but all I would be able to think is "For goodness' sake. Is that what you call vibrato?" and, "Seriously? You didn't even have the decency of using a Marshall amp?" and my prized gem "Would you like some liturgy with your Rock concert?" Edited July 15, 2012 by FuturePriest387
Lil Red Posted July 15, 2012 Posted July 15, 2012 depends. most likely, out of necessity, we would still go to the morning Mass.
Vincent Vega Posted July 15, 2012 Posted July 15, 2012 I would exercise my once-per-lifetime allotted rite-switch and go to whatever other particular church's parish was within 100 miles.
eagle_eye222001 Posted July 15, 2012 Posted July 15, 2012 I would go to the Mass that was intended by the Church, and not a "performance Fun" Mass has distorted a sacred liturgy into a campfire kum-by-ah. [quote]“Wherever applause breaks out in the liturgy because of some human achievement, it is a sure sign that the essence of liturgy has totally disappeared and been replaced by a kind of religious entertainment. Such attraction fades quickly - it cannot compete in the market of leisure pursuits, incorporating as it increasingly does various forms of religious titillation.â€[/quote] -The Spirit of the Liturgy by Pope Benedict Drums......not conducive to a prayerful sacred Mass......guitar....might be if correctly applied......but any "campy" sound, and you are losing focus on the intent of the Mass and turning it into a performance emotional camp fire......which guitars do almost all the time. In the future, I expect to see a reform on the music, as many people have fallen into the trap of thinking they can throw any instrument into the Mass and it somehow all works. The bottom line is that the Mass is supposed to be this special sacred mysterious liturgy. A campy, clapping, kum-by-ah movement is a grave insult to God and what the Mass is supposed to be. Therefore, I'll do my best to avoid the valid-but-improper "FUN" Masses.
Ice_nine Posted July 15, 2012 Posted July 15, 2012 whenever I go to a Mass en espanol, they always clap. I don't know how I feel about it. On one hand I don't like it, on the other, I'm too disoriented by all the Spanish words. I mean this is America. People need to learn to speak American! (but probs the vigil if I had transportation an all)
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now