An Old School Catholic Message Board

Recommend Some Good Fiction Plz

Ice_nine

Anyone read any good books lately? I like science-fiction (not super high-tech, like star trekky ish), a sucker for a good dystopian novel, suspense novels are aight, but I like more psychoanalysis rather than just ACTION, I like classic literature (esp 'cause it's FREE SUCKAS) but when it comes to the big 20th century American stuff it's a mixed bag for me. "On the Road" made me want to kill myself and I couldn't get more than a third thru it for example.

So throw some suggestions out for homegirl over here. Thx u

Finished[i] Lorna Doone[/i] by RD Blackmore last week. It's classic literature and I'm sure you'll be easily able to find a copy online.

Isac Assimov, I Robot series are excellent. Lots of 60-70 sci Fi is about exploring societal choices.

William DeFoe's RobinsonCaruso is excellent. Almost everything Dickens wrote is great, but especially Great Expectations.

Short stories by the Classic writers" are amazingly rich and edifying without having to commit to novels.

Edited by Anomaly

Archaeology cat

Have you read The Book of Deacon trilogy? I quite liked it. Might only be on Kindle, though.

Read the first four Dune novels. FLOOPING AMAZING. I was pretty sceptical at first (not a sci-fi person), but holy poo, possibly my favorite series of all time (Sorry Tolkien :( )

Personally I I like reading Agatha Christie mysteries for fun. Dune's really good. Still haven't had time to finish, but its good.

If you have a Kindle get, "Wool: Omnibus Edition".

Also, get "The Knight" by Gene Wolfe. He's a well respected sci fi author, and Catholic.

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1342399117' post='2455918']
Stephen King, Dark Tower series.
[/quote]How did I miss this? I have forgotten the face of my father. :sad2:

I am sure you have probably read these, but, H.G. Wells The Time Machine, The Invisible Man, The War of teh Worlds, The Island of Doctor Moreau, The First Men in the Moon, When the sleepers Awaken all gteat novels sci-fi and contemplative of the way man treats each other in different situations and the effects on society in a time of upheavel. Herman Melvilles Moby Johnsonville brat, worth reading twice in a row,they Call me Ishmael... he delves into good and evil and social status in that superlative work. Charles Dickens A Tale of Two cities, Its a far, far better thing that I do than I have ever done, its a far better rest that I go to than I have ever known... another great nocel rife with social commentary and class envy wrapped ina page turning tale. Any of Sir SArthur Conan Doyles Sherlock Holmes series were spectacular, blending science with fiction and a touch of mind altering substances thrown in the mix. I love teh classics

ed

Classic Sci-fi's pretty amesome, and usually free. I'm talking late 1800's stuff. Jules Verne's [i]Around the World in 80 Days[/i] is one of my favorite novel's ever. H.G. Wells, Verne, Burroughs, etc. Lots of really good free stuff in that vein, especially if you like sci-fi.

Dune is great!

I am more of an epic fantasy kind of guy myself. Series like Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time, or GRR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire are excellent choices for some great story telling and world building.

Anything by Brandon Sanderson is a good bet, that dude is excellent and prolific.

So far Stephen Erikson's Malazan: Book of the Fallen is blowing my mind. That series is insane.

The Name of the Wind is another well liked book(in The Kingkiller Chronicle series) i am about to get into, by Patrick Rothfuss.

None of these are "your daddy's DnD inspired fantasy schlock"

razzle dazzle, some of these books are going on my wishlist. Sometimes I'll get on a reading kick and be reading 2-3 books at a time, so long as they're different enough. Right now I'm 3/4 thru Frankenstein (I like re-reading books I was forced to read in high school, New perspective and all) and also Catch-22, but if that doesn't stop sucking really soon, I'ma scrap that. The Dune Chronicles look freakin' dope tho. And the Book of Deacon is $0.00 so I'm all for that! razzle dazzle

And Dust, I read Wool. It was really great, but a little drawn out IMO at some points. The author was really great tho about instantly making you care about the characters. There's also the First Shift which is the 6th part of the series (kinda like a prequel) and I enjoyed that as well. I was gonna check out his other novels but I got the impression from the reviews that they were not as good as Wool. I'm hoping he continues the series tho, I'm interested in seeing where the story goes.

cmotherofpirl

Read the Martian Chronicles, do NOT see the movie. Have you read Anne McCafferey's [i]Dragons of Pern[/i] series? Arthur Clarke, Ray Bradbury, Issac Asimov, Robert Heinlein, Frederick Pohl, Ursula Le Guin, Phillip D ick?