An Old School Catholic Message Board

Physical Disabilities And Religious Life

MissyP89

I'm not sure how much you all would know about this, but here goes.

I know that mostly all communities require their members to be in good physical health. Does that mean they can't typically be physically disabled? I'm speaking of someone who would be in a wheelchair or walker, but otherwise mentally sound.

I'm curious about this. Any insight would be appreciated!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MissyP89' timestamp='1342765420' post='2457232']
I'm not sure how much you all would know about this, but here goes.

I know that mostly all communities require their members to be in good physical health. Does that mean they can't typically be physically disabled? I'm speaking of someone who would be in a wheelchair or walker, but otherwise mentally sound.

I'm curious about this. Any insight would be appreciated!
[/quote]

There are some communities who are open to discerning with those who have physical limitations. One such order that comes to mind is the Visitation order as St. Francis de Sales specifically had in mind that the order would not practice severe penances.

There have been some good threads on this topic already that I'll link to:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/51481-physical-needs-in-religious-life/"]Physical Needs in Religious Life[/url]

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/topic/122193-medical-issues-and-entrance/"]Medical Issues and Entrance[/url]

TheresaThoma

I think it depends on the community and the person involved and what they need. Some communities might be better able to make the accommodations the person needs. If there is a particular community this person is interested in they should get in contact with the community and see what they have to say.
I would also say the best way to view this is "God doesn't ask the impossible of us". Having something like this, or medication needs can be a great tool when discerning. I'm on medication and I have talked with a couple of wonderful communities but they said they could accept me with medication. I realized it can be an easy way of knowing if the community is "the one". You ask about you particular condition early on and if they tell you they couldn't accept you, you figure it wasn't meant to be and move on.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TheresaThoma' timestamp='1342767445' post='2457235']
I think it depends on the community and the person involved and what they need. Some communities might be better able to make the accommodations the person needs. If there is a particular community this person is interested in they should get in contact with the community and see what they have to say.
I would also say the best way to view this is "God doesn't ask the impossible of us". Having something like this, or medication needs can be a great tool when discerning. I'm on medication and I have talked with a couple of wonderful communities but they said they could accept me with medication. I realized it can be an easy way of knowing if the community is "the one". You ask about you particular condition early on and if they tell you they couldn't accept you, you figure it wasn't meant to be and move on.
[/quote]

^This.

I thought it would never be possible for me to enter religious life on medication for chronic depression. "...but nothing is impossible with God." The community I am discerning with now is still open to receiving me as an aspirant as long as I am stable and able to pass the psychological evaluation.

Even mendicant communities, such as the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal, will accept candidates with physical limitations on a case-by-case basis. I know that the CFRs accepted a young woman with an arthritic back. So, anything is possible. :)

xTrishaxLynnx

I don't have anything helpful to add, but it was so strange to get on here and see that you'd posted this, because for some reason I was thinking about this very thing when I first woke up this morning... I'll get back to you if I ever figure out why...

Most communities that are part of Visitation order (Salesian spirituality) will accept people with disabilities. It's part of their charism as the order was founded for those who 'had neither the physical strength nor the attraction for the corporal austerities at that time general in religious orders.'

More info here[color=#000000][font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1]: [/size][/font][/color][url="http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15481a.htm"]http://www.newadvent...then/15481a.htm[/url]

I have developed an (as yet undiagnosed) neurological disorder, which I have been told is unlikely to be treatable, so my discernment of religious life is pretty focused around this order at the moment. St Jane de Chantal's writings are very helpful and inspiring!

Hope this helps! :)
PAX

Edited by emi77

FYI it would be good to actually contact the communities you are reading about and read their websites. New Advent is a great resource but it is an encyclopedia so it is giving a historical reference, not a picture of how that charism is being lived out today. There are also many communities that are new or not listed. TheresaThoma mentioned that it's best to mention the condition early on and then if a community says they can't accommodate based on their apostolate etc etc... you know it wasn't where God meant for you to find your happiness. Also less heart strings get attached to an idea before they are cut if you ask first. TT also mentioned that IF it is God's will that you enter religious life, then there WILL be a place that is meant for you. The hard part is being open to that because it is so easy to feel [u]personally[/u] rejected instead of understanding that the reality is just that God has a better place and a better plan for us to work out our salvation, give Him glory and ultimately find our happiness and peace.

Edited by mantellata

littlesister

The Benedictines of Jesus Crucified were founded for those with physical disabilities. As some of their members have aged or their handicaps have become more burdensome, they have recently been accepting candidates who may be disabled in one way or another, but are still independent for care and in daily life. You couldn't meet a more joyful group.

I am wondering how the Visitation sisters (and other communities meant for disabled/handicapped/ill religious) support the sisters? The medical costs would be very high. I suppose it is probably a requirement for each sister to bring her health insurance when she enters, as in other orders?

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1343019992' post='2457993']
I am wondering how the Visitation sisters (and other communities meant for disabled/handicapped/ill religious) support the sisters? The medical costs would be very high. I suppose it is probably a requirement for each sister to bring her health insurance when she enters, as in other orders?
[/quote]

That's a good question. I honestly have no idea how they afford the medical costs. :blush:

To Jesus Through Mary

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1343019992' post='2457993']
[/quote]

God's providence :) Each house is autonomous so it would vary house to house the specifics of what they require of the woman. Not all of the are disable, in fact the majority aren't (although in the aging communities this obviously presents more of a problem). St Francis de Sales and St Jane de Chantal are utterly inspiring in their trust in divine providence. It is not uncommon to ask a woman to raise funds for her insurance and a few other needs.

maximillion

Many people who are physically disabled are as fine and healthy as the next person so for many there won't be any extra burden in terms of medical care costs.
I think it's important that we don't automatically equate disability with a state of ill- health when there is no need.

[quote name='maximillion' timestamp='1343064984' post='2458145']
Many people who are physically disabled are as fine and healthy as the next person so for many there won't be any extra burden in terms of medical care costs.
I think it's important that we don't automatically equate disability with a state of ill- health when there is no need.
[/quote]

Sorry-I didn't mean to offend any disabled PMers. It's just that my sister is somewhat mentally handicapped (minor) and she does require more checkups and regular medication to keep her going than anyone else in our family.