An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carmen's Countdown... Or Not!

carmenchristi

carmenchristi

Ok.. so I'm just reeeeaaallllllllyyyyyyy excited to be going on retreat in 3 days. :woot: You guys are the only ones who understand just how razzle dazzle that is. Finally 8 days of prayer and silence!!!! OMGOSHNESS I never thought that would happen ever again! My parents just think I'm nuts to spend money just to be silent... haha! Please keep me in prayer... I know the results of this retreat (whatever they will be, and however specific or vague, long- or short-term) will be really important in my "discerning what I should be discerning"!!!!! I think I'm going to start packing already :bananarap:

Chiquitunga

Excited for you!! :clap: You picked a wonderful place! I've never been there myself, but have been thinking about it.. I have a friend who knew the OMV priests well before she entered Carmel. Let us know how it goes! Will keep you in prayer! :pray:

I am so excited for you. Silence is such a gem today...well worth the cost to be able to hear Him clearly!

[quote name='Chiquitunga' timestamp='1343273450' post='2458937']
Excited for you!! :clap: You picked a wonderful place! I've never been there myself, but have been thinking about it.. I have a friend who knew the OMV priests well before she entered Carmel. Let us know how it goes! Will keep you in prayer! :pray:
[/quote]

Wait ... CarmenChristi is going to a retreat with an OMV priest?????? oooooooooooooooooooh, aaaaaaaaah, niiiiiiice.

I'm scheduled for my next retreat in 2 months :). I love them. Truly. They've made a difference in my spiritual life in a big way.

Carmen ... may it be a wonderful blessed time of deep prayer and transformation :)

----- Part 2:
:) :) :) :)

Just read the other thread ... Krissylou is right ... I've been on retreat at Milton ... and I'm scheduled for another round in a few months (my last retreat was around Holy Week).

And I've been to Campion Center ... and between Campion Center and St. Joseph's I take St. Joseph's for sure. It is like being at home ... really. The food is great, the atmosphere is great, the main chapel is wonderful, the two other available chapels are great too (my favorite is the 3rd floor nook...)

Wow ... that thread was posted while I was in Bolivia, because I *know* I would have oh-so-given-additional-propaganda-aka-free-advertising for the OMVs. I have done lots of propaganda (lol) for Fr. Gallagher's books.

BTW ... I'm *counting down* already for the next retreat. (at this point I average about 6 months between 8 day retreats -- for whatever reason it is needed for now, and there has been fruit). I *wished* I was going tomorrow.

Edited by cmariadiaz

Oh and I just realized... guess what? You'll be on retreat with the OMVs who are very Ignatian when St. Ignatius' feast day comes around (July 31). amesome!

carmenchristi

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1343374004' post='2459263']
Wait ... CarmenChristi is going to a retreat with an OMV priest?????? oooooooooooooooooooh, aaaaaaaaah, niiiiiiice.

I'm scheduled for my next retreat in 2 months :). I love them. Truly. They've made a difference in my spiritual life in a big way.

Carmen ... may it be a wonderful blessed time of deep prayer and transformation :)

----- Part 2:
:) :) :) :)

Just read the other thread ... Krissylou is right ... I've been on retreat at Milton ... and I'm scheduled for another round in a few months (my last retreat was around Holy Week).

And I've been to Campion Center ... and between Campion Center and St. Joseph's I take St. Joseph's for sure. It is like being at home ... really. The food is great, the atmosphere is great, the main chapel is wonderful, the two other available chapels are great too (my favorite is the 3rd floor nook...)

Wow ... that thread was posted while I was in Bolivia, because I *know* I would have oh-so-given-additional-propaganda-aka-free-advertising for the OMVs. I have done lots of propaganda (lol) for Fr. Gallagher's books.

BTW ... I'm *counting down* already for the next retreat. (at this point I average about 6 months between 8 day retreats -- for whatever reason it is needed for now, and there has been fruit). I *wished* I was going tomorrow.
[/quote]

Haha... well no worries about failing to to your duty of spreading propaganda ;) Even if I wanted to go somewhere else, there is not really anywhere else to go for anything longer than 3 days.

Thanks everyone for the prayers!!!

I still have to start packing! My plan is to try on all my outfits for the whole week and choose them already, making sure they are comfy and don't make me feel self conscious. Hey, I'm still new to this whole picking out my own clothes thing! That way I don't have to think about it during the retreat. Yeah I'm such a nerd, right?

Next question for all you MA ppl..... where should I go to the beach when I finish my retreat? Best seafood restaurants? Any ideas how to get there with public transportation???? Any ideas of cheap hotels in the area (not so cheap that there are rats and spiders though)? I'm meeting with a friend from Chickopee, but she has recently moved back to the area and doesn't know much about it. So any tips on the practical side of things would be great!

:) There are other alternatives for an 8 day retreat up there (Campion center is usually open, and you'd be surprized ... sometimes openings do pop up suddenly at Eastern Point). But you can't go wrong with St. Joseph's.

Re: clothes. You can go minimalist ... no one really cares what you are wearing. I ended up usually wearing 3 pairs of jeans and a number of shirts. I also didn't worry about "dressing up for Mass" (my personal preference -- you can if you want). You can do the same with skirts -- 2 or 3, and a number of tops. Voila ... enough for a week.

Beach in MA ... ew. Cold. As far as getting there on Public Transportation -- no idea. I would go further south if you can ... if you can get there, there are beaches in RI. Again, the water though is cold even in July/Aug. The one MA beach I did go to is the one close to Eastern Point Retreat House (in Gloucester ... about an hour and a half to two hrs from where you will be by car).

As far as cheap hotels -- I have stayed at Ramadas (in Maine) and at the Red Roof Inn. They're ok. Stay away from the Travelodge in Natick ... that is a 100% no-no-no-no-no. I had a two day stay scheduled there with my niece and sister, and I was out of that hotel by 9am the next day and booked the Crowne Plaza without batting an eye (and by being a Priority Club member, I had early check in so I checked in at 9:10am). The difference was like comparing a shack (with lots wrong) vs a mansion.

You may want to try a bed and breakfast. I booked a b&b in the Framingham area for one night, and it was nice. In Chickopee though I don't have a clue.

carmenchristi

What do you think about shorts? I have some really comfy shorts, though I would normally not wear shorts in church. They aren't really short, but not really long either. They go to my fingertips when I am standing. Maybe I should pass on those, huh?

I would use them in your room ... I can't remember what the rules are (if shorts are allowed). Call the house up (they should still be there).

The shorts I have go to my knees and aren't close fitted ... but I'm pretty sure that I didn't wear them anyways. I usually avoid shorts.

There is an exercise room for retreatants, and that's one case that shorts may be ok?

Edited by cmariadiaz