An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm Back From My Live In!

EmilyAnn

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1343519390' post='2459828']

You sound just thrilled! I have to admit, I understand your hesitancy (I would call what I felt leaning more towards hurt) when Mother said to come back for a second visit too. It is almost like, "But don't you like me as much as I love this community?" Like you said, they wouldn't plan on a second visit unless they saw promise in you as a candidate for them. How exciting to have a possible entrance month! It would be so wonderful if you were there next September.

Do you mind if I asked how you felt about the number of nuns? The community I am applying to has about that many, and it seems like a lot. Sometimes I wonder whether I would fit better in a community with less nuns. Did you feel like they had close familial bonds with each other? I know mid-twenties is not too many nuns, but it is a higher number than you see in a lot of cloisters today. How many did you get to know in the time you were there?
[/quote]

Yes, hurt is the perfect way to describe it! It felt like a rejection. But I asked MM about it and was thoroughly reassured!

It does seem like a high number but it didn't really feel that way. In choir you kind of think "are there really like 25 people here" (not everyone was always there, obviously some were sick or cooking or whatever). I got to know the two juniors, the postulant and, MM and MZ very well since I was with the novitiate the most. I got to know the one in charge of the gardening quite well, and a few from the altar-bread department just from working. And I sat next to one of the older sisters one recreation who has had her diamond jubilee! She was so sweet, I like her a lot But I met most of them at least in passing.

MarysLittleFlower

That sounds so wonderful! :D thanks for sharing :)

do they have the Latin Mass? :)

they sound like such a great community!

edit: I just realized that when I asked about the Latin Mass, I got this community confused with another similar one: [url="http://benedictinesofmary.org/"]http://benedictinesofmary.org/[/url] oops! but anyways I'm just wondering cause you mentioned Latin! :))

Edited by MarysLittleFlower

[quote name='MarysLittleFlower' timestamp='1344201691' post='2463076']
That sounds so wonderful! :D thanks for sharing :)

do they have the Latin Mass? :)

they sound like such a great community!

edit: I just realized that when I asked about the Latin Mass, I got this community confused with another similar one: [url="http://benedictinesofmary.org/"]http://benedictinesofmary.org/[/url] oops! but anyways I'm just wondering cause you mentioned Latin! :))
[/quote]

They do have Mass in Latin, but in the Ordinary Form. The Office is in Latin too. It's absolutely wonderful. I don't know Latin but even after 2 weeks, just being so immersed in it I learnt a lot.

[quote name='maximillion' timestamp='1344270613' post='2463476']
Just a little bit envious............... :blush:
[/quote]

If you're ever on the Isle of Wight, you should definitely try go to Mass there. The Choir Mistress takes the Chant [i]very[/i] seriously

I've been with my family since I left, I've just gotten home. They know me entering is a possibility, and my mother was better about it than I expected. I was careful not to make it definite, because I'm not even applying yet. I want to ease them into the idea and give them time to adjust slowly.

I seriously can't say enough good things about them. They're fantastic and I would seriously encourage anyone interested in Benedictine life to contact them. They've got several members who've come from overseas, Mother Mistress is American herself, so that even applies to y'all Americans.

I hope I answered everyone who had questions, I've been using my iPod until now and may have missed something, so if I have then just remind me.