An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Is Communion In The Hand Still Allowed?

beaverman

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egkp1tYrpBk&feature=player_embedded[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmEgGtHg370[/media]

Communion in the hand must be discouraged. I strongly urge people to watch these two videos in there entirety.

God Bless

I don't understand how any priest would deny communion to a person kneeling!?!?! It boggles my mind!

The first video was very inspiring! Thanks for posting it! ( i haven't watched the other one yet!)

Edited by Annie12

Jesus put his body into the hands of the Apostles at the last supper. They weren't kneeling, they were probably reclining while eating.

I haven't been a practicing Catholic for years, but I still attend occaisionally for friends & families funerals, weddings, or special occaisions. Here in Florida, the vast majority receive in the hand. Since I'm free to people watch during communion, I have to say that I've never seen any awkwardness when people want to receive on the tongue or kneel, and this is at large parishes with well attended masses. I've seen EM's and attendees accept in the hand, kneel, and tongue at many parishes with many different priests and in many different Mass settings (Youth retreats, ordinations, services outside, different parishes, etc.) I think the awkwardness is soley on the recipient. Save the drama for the llamas.

Edited by Anomaly

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1343660638' post='2460219']
Jesus put his body into the hands of the Apostles at the last supper. They weren't kneeling, they were probably reclining while eating.
[/quote]

I believe you are incorrect. The apostles did not actively take communion, they passively received it. Which means they did not use their hands to handle the Eucharist at the last supper.

HisChildForever

[quote name='beaverman' timestamp='1343667969' post='2460266']
I believe you are incorrect. The apostles did not actively take communion, they passively received it. Which means they did not use their hands to handle the Eucharist at the last supper.
[/quote]

Where's the teaching on this?

[/quote]

huh? source?

I choose to receive in the tongue. However, receiving on the tongue is not immune to problems.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaA1hTj-88A&feature=youtu.be"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaA1hTj-88A&feature=youtu.be[/url]

GeorgiiMichael

[quote name='CatherineM' timestamp='1343660638' post='2460219']
[/quote]

They were also the first priests/bishops, and even before the Church started to allow communion in the hands for laity, priests and bishops took the Eucharist in their hands before eating it. That argument isn't a good one for pointing to the acceptability of laity receiving the Eucharist in the hand. Not that I care that much either way. I prefer receiving on the tongue, but I don't really mind how others receive.

[/quote]

"Take this, all of you and eat, this is my body, given up for you."

It's right there in the Eucharistic prayer, dude. Don't even try that the essence of cow.

[quote name='sixpence' timestamp='1343669488' post='2460275']
huh? source?
[/quote]

Learned it from Irina and Lynn :unsure:

[quote name='Papist' timestamp='1343670001' post='2460282']
Learned it from Irina and Lynn :unsure:
[/quote]

:pinch: