An Old School Catholic Message Board

Difference In Vows

MarysLittleFlower

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1344203513' post='2463097']
There is more on this subject here:

[url="http://www.ewtn.com/vexperts/showmessage.asp?number=444723&Pg=&Pgnu=&recnu="]Solemn Vows vs Simple Vows[/url]

The best way to describe it is that a Sister can take simple vows and be dispensed from them by the local ordinary (in cases where the congregation is of diocesan rite) or a papal indult. If she was to get married, the act would be illicit but valid. However, if one took solemn vows, which are meant to be forever, it would render marriage not only illicit but invalid.

Also, simple vows allow property ownership but solemn vows do not. Most of the time (if not all), cloistered communities such as Dominican nuns take solemn vows whereas their active counterparts such as the DSMMEs take simple vows. :)
[/quote]

I have been informed by what I consider to be a reliable source that the part about marriage used to be the case, but is no longer. At this point it is possible (unfortunate but possible) for solemn vows to be dispensed as well as simple vows. (And of course most sisters in 'simple vows' take them very seriously and don't have 'oh well this could be dispensed with so no biggie' in the back of their minds.)

The part about property is the difference. So. For instance. If I were a sister in simple vows I could still get an inheritance from my parents and have one of my sisters manage it. If I were in solemn vows that wouldn't fly. Either my portion goes straight to the community, or parents cut me out of their will and give everything to my sisters. BUT if I were an active sister in simple vows it could be 'mine' but I couldn't benefit from the revenues, nor could I tell my administrator sister how to manage it, not at all. That's not a great situation for anyone. Awkward! So, lots of times people in simple vows essentially live as if they were in solemn when it comes to property. It may only be a significant difference for canon law geeks.

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1345608718' post='2471778']
The part about property is the difference. So. For instance. If I were a sister in simple vows I could still get an inheritance from my parents and have one of my sisters manage it. If I were in solemn vows that wouldn't fly. Either my portion goes straight to the community, or parents cut me out of their will and give everything to my sisters. BUT if I were an active sister in simple vows it could be 'mine' but I couldn't benefit from the revenues, nor could I tell my administrator sister how to manage it, not at all. That's not a great situation for anyone. Awkward! So, lots of times people in simple vows essentially live as if they were in solemn when it comes to property. It may only be a significant difference for canon law geeks.
[/quote]

A nun once said that her parents were so upset that they could not leave anything for her in her name on their will that they decided to anyway. I think she just forwarded it to the community under obedience, but her parents made that more confusing than it had to be! :P

Sr Mary Catharine OP

For the most part living simple and solemn vows isn't really different. However, ownership of goods is a natural right and solemn profession is saying that even that I give to you, Jesus, so that you will take care of me in your loving providence. Most of us come in to religious life with NOTHING so we don't think of it too much. But what we do take in with us is wanting to determine many little things in our lives. That is really where poverty comes in.

I remember in the novitiate my aunt giving me a lovely basket of soaps(!!!) for Christmas. Immediately I asked my novice mistress if I could share them with the others in the novitiate. Guess what? She said NO! I was to use them and enjoy them as a gift from God. She felt that my motive wasn't pure and that I was sharing them because I felt guilty using them and that I "should" share. It was a very good lesson for me....

One sister's parents put in their will that the monastery in which their daughter resided in at the time of their deaths would receive a certain amount. This kept it from going to sister and having to pay taxes. Civil law recognizes renouning goods we have but they sure don't get that I can't own anything! This way the community benefits.

I am soooo happy not to own anything...it is soo freeing!

I read somewhere that there's a difference in the obligation to pray the Divine Office between solemn vows and simple vows. Is this right?

MissScripture

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' timestamp='1345641262' post='2471925']
For the most part living simple and solemn vows isn't really different. However, ownership of goods is a natural right and solemn profession is saying that even that I give to you, Jesus, so that you will take care of me in your loving providence. Most of us come in to religious life with NOTHING so we don't think of it too much. But what we do take in with us is wanting to determine many little things in our lives. That is really where poverty comes in.

I remember in the novitiate my aunt giving me a lovely basket of soaps(!!!) for Christmas. Immediately I asked my novice mistress if I could share them with the others in the novitiate. Guess what? She said NO! I was to use them and enjoy them as a gift from God. She felt that my motive wasn't pure and that I was sharing them because I felt guilty using them and that I "should" share. It was a very good lesson for me....

One sister's parents put in their will that the monastery in which their daughter resided in at the time of their deaths would receive a certain amount. This kept it from going to sister and having to pay taxes. Civil law recognizes renouning goods we have but they sure don't get that I can't own anything! This way the community benefits.

I am soooo happy not to own anything...it is soo freeing!
[/quote]
Thanks for pointing out the tax thing. My grandfather keeps asking about how an inheritance would work in regards to my sister (a Nashville Dominican). I will have to be sure to mention the tax side of it to him.

[quote name='EmilyAnn' timestamp='1345642124' post='2471927']
I read somewhere that there's a difference in the obligation to pray the Divine Office between solemn vows and simple vows. Is this right?
[/quote]

I have heard this also-that in solemn vows, religious' job is praying the full Office, while those in simple vows (the more active religious) still have to pray a certain amount of the Office. The way this was told to me was very informal, so I am not sure if it is Canon Law or just the expected norm. Sister Mary Catharine?! :lol:

Edited by emmaberry