An Old School Catholic Message Board

Visiting Communities

Kylie Spinelli

Kylie Spinelli
:sos:

Hello everyone! So I am pretty new here, and I have been discerning a vocation to the religious life for almost (almost!!) a year now. My mother is good friends with a Sr. and she (the sister, not my mother LOL) offered to take me to their motherhouse because she noticed that I have an interest in the religious life. I am going tomorrow for the day and I am wondering what exactly you do when visiting a motherhouse. This probably sounds silly, I know :) I will be talking with some sisters and 'touring' the motherhouse. anything else I should be prepared for, since this is my first visit EVER! :woot:

Thank you and God bless you!!

:nunpray:

~Kylie~

OnlySunshine

Usually, when visiting a religious order, you are introduced to their apostolate and shadow the Sisters for the day. I think this is a great thing for you since it will give you the chance to see what the life is like. If you don't mind me asking, what order will you be visiting?

Kylie Spinelli

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1344299526' post='2463665']
Usually, when visiting a religious order, you are introduced to their apostolate and shadow the Sisters for the day. I think this is a great thing for you since it will give you the chance to see what the life is like. If you don't mind me asking, what order will you be visiting?
[/quote]

Hi MM :)
I am visiting the Franciscan Sisters of the Atonement. Their motherhouse is in Graymoor NY, but they have houses all over, like in NZ and I think the Phillippines too.... I am not discerning their community specifically, just getting a feel for community life... Sr. however doesn't know that ... Haha I think that I am leaning more towards the traditional orders, habited, etc. These sisters aren't as 'traditional' as I think I'd like, but I'm keeping an open mind nevertheless...
Anywhoo...
Thanks for your input!

I visited them ... you're right, they're not very "traditional" but I found them to be very down to earth sisters. I still think about them from time to time.

dymphnamaria

[quote name='Kylie Spinelli' timestamp='1344300096' post='2463673']
I am visiting the Franciscan Sisters of the Atonement. Their motherhouse is in Graymoor NY, but they have houses all over, like in NZ and I think the Phillippines too.... I am not discerning their community specifically, just getting a feel for community life... Sr. however doesn't know that ... Haha I think that I am leaning more towards the traditional orders, habited, etc. These sisters aren't as 'traditional' as I think I'd like, but I'm keeping an open mind nevertheless...

[/quote]

A Missionaries of Charity sister jokingly told me that their is nothing wrong doing a 'come and see' in a community. You just come to see the life of the community and you can go if you feel you are not called there. Anyway, I will pray that you will soon find the community for you. Always ask the guidance of Our Lady..

God Bless you!

Kylie Spinelli

Hi everyone. Just a follow up :D
I really enjoyed my visit yesterday. Unfortunately, the community hasn't had a new vocation in years and their youngest sister is in her 40s. So there weren't any sister my age and most were elderly. I had the privilege of eating lunch with the sisters and 'touring' their convent, living area, chapels, and old convent. Their old chapel is just gorgeous, with the benches still facing each other for Orders. :) I do not really feel called to this specific community, however I felt really at peace while there. And Sister showed me one if their little chapels that the infirm use, and I sat down and began to tear up. I felt so at peace and I really loved the visit, just to learn more about community life and it was really nice to chat with the sisters!
Thanks for all the replies!!
God Bless!

Kylie Spinelli

[quote name='cmariadiaz' timestamp='1344300618' post='2463681']
I visited them ... you're right, they're not very "traditional" but I found them to be very down to earth sisters. I still think about them from time to time.
[/quote]

Haha yeah, what's funny is that many of the sisters that Sr. wanted me to meet weren't there. They were tied up at an LCWR meeting........... [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?&app=forums&module=extras&section=legends#"]:covereyes:[/url]
Haha

[quote name='Kylie Spinelli' timestamp='1344430267' post='2464455']
Haha yeah, what's funny is that many of the sisters that Sr. wanted me to meet weren't there. They were tied up at an LCWR meeting........... [url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?&app=forums&module=extras&section=legends#"] :covereyes:[/url]
Haha
[/quote]

Good emoticon choice! :lol:

Kylie Spinelli

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1344477520' post='2464785']
[/quote]

Thanks, I searched hard for one that fit how I felt when she told me that LOL

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1344477520' post='2464785']
[/quote]

and by chance, is that you with the Sisters of Life????? :D :D

Yes it is! Many religious sisters stopped by my university on their different apostolates that took them through Dallas, which was so wonderful.