An Old School Catholic Message Board

I Have To Report To Jail On Saturday

MIKolbe

A girl did smile at me once. Not so much as at me but it was definitely in my direction

Edited by Hasan

[quote name='MIkolbe' timestamp='1344488892' post='2464920']
Are you channeling FP?
[/quote]

Jason Everet

AccountDeleted

I used to work in a prison - you will be fine. The inmates are usually grateful when people take the time to care about them. They might not always show it but you can tell.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1344488966' post='2464921']
Jason Everet
[/quote]
Everest.*

homeschoolmom

Once you get past the strip search and cavity inspection it will be all unicorns and rainbows. You'll love it. Have fun.

They don't strip search the visitors. It's a bit like going through airport security without the pat down. Be mindful of what you bring in. Depending on the facility, be prepared for it to stink a bit. Think of a big college dorm the night after a big party. Some places they only get to shower once a week. There can also be a fear sweat kind of smell. Of course I got a lot of that visiting death row.

I always took my necklace off. Didn't like the idea that it could be used to restrain me in a sticky situation. Have some sanitizer in the car to use when you leave. It's not that they are infected because they are prisoners, but rather because over crowded places lead to stuff like Christmas Eve shopping at the mall.

Remember to look them in the eye and treat them like men. They are used to being treated like zoo animals or children. Also expect questions unlike a usual RCIA class. There will be more questions about the devil and evil. Most if them will have had abuse issues as kids, or neglect, and certainly addiction issues. You will find they have language issues. It's not that they aren't intelligent, it's that many will have had poor educational backgrounds and their vocabularies can be limited. I'm not saying talk down to them, but if you use a big word, explain it without making them ask. Analogies work best.

Be prepared for anger at God. Plus some might have signed up just to get out of their cells for something different. Most though, will have a hunger. They've often lived lives devoid of deep contact with themselves or others.

Finally expect to be changed.

Catherine gave some great advice, I feel. Be safe and hopefully all goes well :)

Edited by Selah

cmotherofpirl

My first thought was wow, I am so proud of you :) The second and less charitable one was you will get to say hi to all my neighbors...

"Remember to look them in the eye and treat them like men."

This, definitely this. We have a volunteer who has made it her job just to remember the names of each guy, so that they know we know them as people instead of just the number they're often referred to as.

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='BG45' timestamp='1344487225' post='2464901']
Don't worry too much Jason, it really depends on the jail tbh. It can either be an overcrowded and quite possibly dangerous hellhole...or pretty chill. Our local jail is really clean and polite compared to most, because of the rather progressive bent of the woman who used to be the warden.

Just pray. The people at the front desk will hopefully realize you're new and walk you through everything you need to do to check in and then call you back. Most have lockers for you to put your car keys, cell, and other stuff in for 50 cents or so. No phone or anything else once you're inside the actual facility. The check in form will probably require things along the line of: Time, date, signature, your business, car make and model and license plate.
[/quote]
Is he allowed to bring his teddy bear or security blanket?

Mark of the Cross

[quote name='Hasan' timestamp='1344488765' post='2464917']
I don't have a girlfriend. So idgi
[/quote]
Boyfriend?