An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jesuit Order's Practice

LittleWaySoul

LittleWaySoul

So I recently just read about a Jesuit tradition of sending their students out to live on their own for about a month with little to no earthly possessions so that they can experience poverty and learn to trust in God. I was wondering if anyone here has done something like that, and if anyone knows an order of sisters who might do something similar. I'd love to hear your input! Thanks! :)

LaPetiteSoeur

My Jesuit friend just did his this winter! He was sent with a bus ticket and $5 to a random city (each of the 12 novices had a different location). He ended up in Boston and had six weeks to get to his final destination (in the South). It is really an amazing experience and it helped him grow in his faith, discernment, and vocation. Not all of the Jesuit provinces do it, though. I"m pretty sure the Western and Southern do, but the NE one does not (some in Boston actually thought his superiors are a bit crazy! :nun:) He experienced poverty, worked in a homeless shelter in NYC, talked with everyday people about their problems, and learned a lot about ministry.

I don't think any sisters have a similar program. The Jesuits call this an "experiment" and they have several throughout formation (including work overseas in mission). None of the religious sisters who follow Ignatius' spirituality as their rule have this practice; it's more dangerous for women, as well as much more complicated--they don't have the same reach as the Jesuits do.

LittleWaySoul

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1344916330' post='2467325']
My Jesuit friend just did his this winter! He was sent with a bus ticket and $5 to a random city (each of the 12 novices had a different location). He ended up in Boston and had six weeks to get to his final destination (in the South). It is really an amazing experience and it helped him grow in his faith, discernment, and vocation. Not all of the Jesuit provinces do it, though. I"m pretty sure the Western and Southern do, but the NE one does not (some in Boston actually thought his superiors are a bit crazy! :nun:) He experienced poverty, worked in a homeless shelter in NYC, talked with everyday people about their problems, and learned a lot about ministry.
[/quote]
That's amesome! Great for him! :smile3:

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1344916330' post='2467325']
I don't think any sisters have a similar program. The Jesuits call this an "experiment" and they have several throughout formation (including work overseas in mission). None of the religious sisters who follow Ignatius' spirituality as their rule have this practice; it's more dangerous for women, as well as much more complicated--they don't have the same reach as the Jesuits do.
[/quote]
This makes me really sad :cry: When I heard about this "experiment" of theirs, I got really excited, thinking that maybe a religious order of sisters might have one. I feel like it'd be really good for my faith. *Sigh*

TheresaThoma

I have heard of this and I think it is something unique to the Jesuits. It is pretty crazy and some interesting stories come from it. I believe they also can't say outright they are a Jesuit in formation.

AccountDeleted

There is nothing to stop you living poor yourself. I have done it many times :) I don't recommend that 'travelling poor alone' thing that the Jesuits do for a female - too dangerous. Even St Clare didn't do that. She went to St Francis who set her up in a life of poverty but not travelling. Common sense in all things.

Edited by nunsense