An Old School Catholic Message Board

Boox

Ice_nine

Hi, Ice Nine!

I am glad we will see more of you -- VS is a nice neighborhood! :)

I'm wondering if you can tell us a little more of what you are hoping to find in some reading. I'm a little concerned that maybe we have overwealmed you a little bit with 'heavy' books. I would suggest some of these might be easier to start with:

[i]The Perfect Joy of St. Francis [/i]by Felix Timmermans (I belive he was a lay Third Order Franciscan....)
(a very good biography of Francis - and a pretty good intro to how a vocation gets discerned...)

[i]He Leadeth Me [/i]and [i]With God in Russia [/i]by Fr. Walter Ciszek, SJ
(good both on spirituality and on relgious vocation....)

[i]Shepherd's Tartan [/i]by Sr. Mary Jean Dorcy, OP
(from the 1950's but very good on active Dominican regligious life)

[i]Men in Sandals [/i]by Fr. Richard Madden, OCD
(from the 1950's but very good on Carmelite men's regligious life - and captures the Carmelite spirit completely!)

[i]My Beloved [/i]by Mother Catherine Thomas, OCD
(from the 1950's about cloistered Discalced Carmelite life) - also available on line.

Lives of the saints are a WONDERFUL way to taste a lot of different spiritualities and find which ones talk to you. Find a few saints and see which ones you like. Then let us know and we can help you find some orders and/or communities you might like.....

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emmaberry' timestamp='1345230450' post='2469268']
EDIT: Here is another Vocational essay/pamphlet, Ice_nine.

This is something the Saints disagree on. While I second your notion that God is loving and gave us free will, through my discernment I have also recognized that the graces and gifts I've been given are directly suitable to the religious life. So if I decided that it was too hard to live the three vows and consequently went and married, the marriage could certainly be successful, but I would have turned my back on the numerous graces God had laid out for me in religious life. So the life I chose that was not my true vocation is not destined for failure, but there is less grace to live it, and therefore probably less joy and fulfillment.

Again, the Saints conflict on this all over the place, which makes this a touchy subject. So the above is my personal opinion that I have had to formulate for when the random (confused) person says, "Who cares if God is calling you! Just say NO and go have a family anyway!" eek.
[/quote]

That's a good point! I never thought of it like that. I thought he was just saying that he thought that those who didn't answer the call would be condemned. But you are absolutely right that you would miss out on the graces in religious life if you opted to be married instead. God molds to our personal choices though. I have heard that some people would get married and then still have that nagging feeling like they should have pursued a religious vocation. I don't want that to happen to me. I know that you can still serve God in marriage since it is a Sacrament, but I believe I am called to consecrated life as either a religious or a single person (who is consecrated as either a virgin or lay person in a secular institute). :)

Discerning the Will of God by Fr. Tim Gallagher, OMV

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Discerning-Will-God-Ignatian-Christian/dp/0824524896"]http://www.amazon.com/Discerning-Will-God-Ignatian-Christian/dp/0824524896[/url]
(better yet order via the phatmass Link).

VeniJesuAmorMi

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1345231033' post='2469272']
Off topic, but did you get the first two books at the Carmelite Monastery in Buffalo, NY? I briefly discerned there and I had a friend who entered for a few months. She bought the Divine Intimacy book in their gift shop and highly recommended I get it. :)
[/quote]

Yes, I did! :) They have a beautiful gift shop there; they even make their own prayer cards and I purchased some of those as well. The book Divine Intimacy was only $25 there and I thought it was a great deal considering that I have seen it for around $50; most places I think this is the price, but maybe there is a monastery gift shop online that may sell it cheaper. It's too bad that the Buffalo Carmel doesn't have their gift shop online; it may help with donations also. They also have many other books and make their own Carmelite Scapulars.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='VeniJesuAmorMi' timestamp='1345255974' post='2469478']
Yes, I did! :) They have a beautiful gift shop there; they even make their own prayer cards and I purchased some of those as well. The book Divine Intimacy was only $25 there and I thought it was a great deal considering that I have seen it for around $50; most places I think this is the price, but maybe there is a monastery gift shop online that may sell it cheaper. It's too bad that the Buffalo Carmel doesn't have their gift shop online; it may help with donations also. They also have many other books and make their own Carmelite Scapulars.
[/quote]

amesome! Did you discern with them? I called Mother Miriam several times but never visited in person. Mother is very kind and helpful, but I discerned that I was not called to be cloistered. I miss her! :)

I really wish they had the gift shop online. That is a terrific price! My friend told me I should send a letter or call and ask if they could take a check by mail. I never did because I kept forgetting.

I've tried reading Lives of the Saints and the prose was just a bit much for me to stomach at the time. Although I think it would be good just to get an overview of the major saints and such. Maybe I can smell of elderberries it up for a bit :)

I've downloaded the story of a soul (free) and imitation of christ (un dollar) because I'm not spending lots of money right now, but I guess I'm just looking for an exposure to different spiritualities, saints etc. I don't mind depth, in fact I would prefer it to something easily digestible and/or thinly spread overview of many things. If that makes sense at all, probably doesn't.

But thanks y'all! I've bookmarked all the ones on Amazon for later, but I"ll start off with the two least expensive ones furst.

Ice,

What you say makes a lot of sense!

If you find the free version of The Story of a Soul to be a little 'flowery' you might have one of the really old translations (say before 1960). It really helps to get a better translation. Look for the one by Fr. John Clark, OCD that was done inthe 1980's (I think) out of the library (or find a used copy or something).

It's especially important with St. Therese because the early translations of St. Therese were heavily edited by her older Sister.... and she made a lot of changes that make st. Therese seem really sweet and pious... and turn off a lot of people. PM me if you can't find a copy of the better translation and maybe I can help you find one, OK?

Did you know that you can usually get a library to ORDER books that they don't have from another library? It sometimes costs a little bit (but lots cheaper than buying books). It's called 'inter-library loan'.

I'd still suggest the Perfect Joy of St. Francis over almost anything..... :)

Edited by AnneLine

OnlySunshine

I meant to suggest the free book that I got from Fr. Andrew Apostoli, CFR when I went to visit the Franciscan Sisters of the Renewal in January 2010:

[url="http://www.amazon.com/When-God-Asks-Undivided-Heart/dp/0819882720"]When God Asks for an Undivided Heart[/url] (2 copies are available for $0.01!)

[quote name='AnneLine' timestamp='1345281839' post='2469645']
I'd still suggest the Perfect Joy of St. Francis over almost anything..... :)
[/quote]

I just ordered this. Thanks for the rec!

Also, yes on the interlibrary loan. I have done this with a couple rare Carmelite books, and it makes the librarians so excited when these rare books come in (just wait till I tell them its because I'm going to be a nun.)

Ice_nine, your library should be happy to help you with anything you need! And often ILL costs me nothing, because sometimes your local library will even pay both way shipping!

Edited by emmaberry