An Old School Catholic Message Board

Old-fashioned Nuns Say The Past Is Key To The Future

Maximilianus

Maximilianus

Title not mine.
Brief article on the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus

[url="http://www.religionnews.com/faith/leaders-and-institutions/old-fashioned-nuns-say-the-past-is-key-to-the-future"]http://www.religionnews.com/faith/leaders-and-institutions/old-fashioned-nuns-say-the-past-is-key-to-the-future[/url]

OnlySunshine

I love these Sisters, too! Iammybeloveds from PM is a novice there -- Sr. Mary Elizabeth. The other novice is shown in the pictures -- Sr. M. Raphael Therese. This is the first I've seen of the 3 new postulants. It's wonderful to see them! What a great article. :)

I love this paragraph:

[quote]

Heisler – who like all the sisters in her community took a new religious name with her lifelong vows of poverty, chastity and obedience – was a “military brat” who heard her calling while a junior in high school on a pilgrimage to the Marian shrine of Fatima in Portugal. She put aside her application to Georgetown University, her plans to become the first woman secretary of state, and her boyfriend, and entered this community at 18.
[/quote]

That's the first time I've heard Sr. MJ's vocation story! :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

OnlySunshine

My friend is on the article! :)

[quote]

Sister Mary Elizabeth Riesser, 26 and a Cincinnati native, said she knows many sisters in LCWR congregations and admires the work they do. But when she wanted to join a community, Riesser, like many of her peers considering a lifelong vocation, “wanted that radical living out of the religious life.”

“I sense that totality here more so than in one of the LCWR-type communities,” she said during the hourlong “recreation time” that starts at 7 p.m. each evening.
[/quote]

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1345767313' post='2473148']
[/quote]

I really like the way your friend expressed herself, MM! 'Totality' is a good way to describe why young people are going to certain orders today.

Strictlyinkblot

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1345777423' post='2473282']
I dont know anyone in this article :topsy:
[/quote]

I wish I knew the sisters in this article.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1345767313' post='2473148']
[/quote]

I read it thinking "that's Iammybeloveds community" and knew she was Sr. Mary Elizabeth but managed to not connect the dots and realise it was her. :hehe2:

dominicansoul

[quote name='vee8' timestamp='1345777423' post='2473282']
I dont know anyone in this article :topsy:
[/quote]

I met Sr. Mary Joseph way back when she was vocations directress for the community. She, along with the community, introduced me to the "contemplative yet active" religious lifestyle I did not know existed! Their community is well organized and structured. She's not kidding when she says, "We know what we are about." The main identity for every woman in religious life is that of a "spouse of Christ." These sisters live that identity beautifully...

I also loved their tomato soup (with milk) that they served us at lunch one Friday! YUM!!!

OnlySunshine

[quote name='dominicansoul' timestamp='1345838476' post='2473634']
I met Sr. Mary Joseph way back when she was vocations directress for the community. She, along with the community, introduced me to the "contemplative yet active" religious lifestyle I did not know existed! Their community is well organized and structured. She's not kidding when she says, "We know what we are about." The main identity for every woman in religious life is that of a "spouse of Christ." These sisters live that identity beautifully...

I also loved their tomato soup (with milk) that they served us at lunch one Friday! YUM!!!
[/quote]

I love their vegetable soup. It was good for my upset stomach. :)